Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
No, his post points to the fact that most people listen to the RADIO at certain times. IN his case, like mine, it's when we are driving. That happens to be a time when beats 1 is rap/hip-hop heavy....So, guess how we are going to interpret what Beats 1 is like?

Something other than interpreting it as being like that generally, rather than being like that when you happen to tune in at the same time each day?

It would be like someone tuning in to Dan Carter's rock show on Radio 1 each week, and complaining that they only ever played rock music on the station.

Reactions: shandyman

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
No, his post points to the fact that most people listen to the RADIO at certain times. IN his case, like mine, it's when we are driving. That happens to be a time when beats 1 is rap/hip-hop heavy....So, guess how we are going to interpret what Beats 1 is like?

Just showing how close minded some people are. Judging something on a small uninformed basis. I take the chance to actually check things out properly. If I know a show is one don't like, I listen to something else. Same as with other radio stations. I, along with a lot of people, choose to listen to specific shows. Just like with TV. Before Beats 1, I used to bounce between BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 and 6Music, depending on the time of day, etc.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I actually can't believe you just said "She even sounds like a rapper when she speaks" though - that was quite something.

If that's not borderline racist, it's possibly an offensive stereotype...

Something other than interpreting it as being like that generally, rather than being like that when you happen to tune in at the same time each day?

It would be like someone tuning in to Dan Carter's rock show on Radio 1 each week, and complaining that they only ever played rock music on the station.

Spot on.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion

But why does our dislike for it have to be something I have to do deep research on? I have tuned in 7 different days... they seem to be all during the rap/hip-hop hour. I didn't care for it. bottom line.

Do I now need to spend hours researching online before I can form my own opinion from my own experiences?

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Just showing how close minded some people are. Judging something on a small uninformed basis. I take the chance to actually check things out properly. If I know a show is one don't like, I listen to something else. Same as with other radio stations. I, along with a lot of people, choose to listen to specific shows. Just like with TV. Before Beats 1, I used to bounce between BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 and 6Music, depending on the time of day, etc.

Would it make you feel better if I said, "I love Beats 1, only when I don't listen to it?"

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
If that's not borderline racist, it's possibly an offensive stereotype...

Spot on.

How is that racist? Aren't there white people who rap and sound like rappers or black people who sing operas and sound like opera singers?

I couldn't care less about her ethnicity. The fact is that she grew up with two brothers who happened to be rappers and she being a DJ who plays a lot of rap, and you can clearly feel that when she speaks or interviews people.

I think I will now stop posting in this thread. It's obvious we will never agree and in fact the tone of the discussion has diverted towards more personal connotations.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
But why does our dislike for it have to be something I have to do deep research on? I have tuned in 7 different days... they seem to be all during the rap/hip-hop hour. I didn't care for it. bottom line.

Do I now need to spend hours researching online before I can form my own opinion from my own experiences?

I think your definition of "deep research" is way off.

If you're tuning in at the same time each day, and not liking the music, then it doesn't take "deep research" to figure out you might want to avoid that show.

If you want to see what other shows are playing, a quick look at some show playlists will tell you - again, not what I'd describe as "deep research".

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006

I think the bottomline is that while you or me listen to radio as a distraction while driving (or running in my case as well) other people do tune in to actually enjoy the music.

i don't know, maybe that's the reason behind being so defensive about beats one.

It's like my friend who's a movie producer and goes on and on and on about the art in film making. All I say is.. I don't give a crap about how artistic a movie is, if I go to the cinema is because I want to disconnect from my every day troubles and stop thinking for 2 hours. For me it's pure entertainment. For him is art for the sake of the art itself. Hence we never ever ever agree on how good or bad a movie is.

Reactions: Khalanad75

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
How is that racist? Aren't there white people who rap and sound like rappers or black people who sing operas and sound like opera singers?

I couldn't care less about her ethnicity. The fact is that she grew up with two brothers who happened to be rappers and she being a DJ who plays a lot of rap, and you can clearly feel that when she speaks or interviews people.

I think I will now stop posting in this thread. It's obvious we will never agree and in fact the tone of the discussion has diverted towards more personal connotations.

You might not have intended it, but it did sound perilously close to "she sounds black, and black people do that rap music".

About all I can tell from her voice is that she's from London. Given that Londoners aren't exactly known that much in the world of rap, I'd love to know what about her voice makes her sound like a rapper.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
You might not have intended it, but it did sound perilously close to "she sounds black, and black people do that rap music".

About all I can tell from her voice is that she's from London. Given that Londoners aren't exactly known that much in the world of rap, I'd love to know what about her voice makes her sound like a rapper.

For gods sake I have a chinese friend who raps and speaks like her. It has nothing to do with origin or even accent itself. It's about intonation and communication style.

As far as I'm concerned a black Londoner could potentially speak exactly the same way as a white Londoner.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
For gods sake I have a chinese friend who raps and speaks like her. It has nothing to do with origin or even accent itself. It's about intonation and communication style.

As far as I'm concerned a black Londoner could potentially speak exactly the same way as a white Londoner.

Not convinced to be honest - she doesn't really sound any different to lots of other Londoners.

It's also interesting that someone who clearly doesn't like rap

A. Has listened to enough of her show to hear that much of her and

B. Is able to pick out the nuances of a rapper in someone's speaking voice.

I'm sure black and white Londoners do speak the same.

It's the bit about being able to tell whether or not a Londoner sounds like a rapper from their spoken voice I'm not so sure about.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not convinced to be honest - she doesn't really sound any different to lots of other Londoners.

It's also interesting that someone who clearly doesn't like rap

A. Has listened to enough of her show to hear that much of her and

B. Is able to pick out the nuances of a rapper in someone's speaking voice.

I'm sure black and white Londoners do speak the same.

It's the bit about being able to tell whether or not a Londoner sounds like a rapper from their spoken voice I'm not so sure about.

If all Londoners sound like rappers, then that means I can be big like Kanye too, since I have the same accent as her.....

It's terrible backtracking being done there by JMMO20

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Do we know if Julie does even rap? Or is it just some weird coincidence that she sounds like a rapper, even though she isn't a rapper?

In which case does she just sound like a rapper because her brothers are rappers?

In which case is it common for the siblings of rappers to sound like they do rap, even if they don't?

Is this just all just a wind up?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Do we know if Julie does even rap? Or is it just some weird coincidence that she sounds like a rapper, even though she isn't a rapper?

In which case does she just sound like a rapper because her brothers are rappers?

In which case is it common for the siblings of rappers to sound like they do rap, even if they don't?

Is this just all just a wind up?

I believe she's actually Vanilla Ice in retirement....

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's funny seeing the people slating Beats One in this thread squirm and twist facts.

People have said you're 3x more likely to hear Rap/Hip Hop based on the stats, which is inherently wrong. You've got a 1 in 3 chance.

Then people saying about the top played artists are R&B/Hip Hop, again this is a skewed fact. It just means that if you get a rap/Hip Hop track, it's going to most likely be one of those artists. It really means that the other genres have a wider range of artists, which is good.

Then there's people claiming it only plays R&B or Hip Hop when they tune in at the one or two times they tune in, well that's just limiting your options.

If you only put radio on for background, then you're kinda missing the point of Beats One and should stick to either your own music collection or use one of the iTunes Radio style stations. There's nothing wrong with that, but claiming the whole thing is rubbish because it doesn't suit you is absurd. It's like me saying a Mac Pro is pointless because I only really do office work on it.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Having slept on this, I still can't quite fathom the 'sounds like a rapper' thing.

jmmo - are you saying that you can tell from someone's speaking voice whether or not they are a rapper? And the example you are giving to demonstrate this is a Chinese girl who is a rapper, and a girl from London who is not a rapper? (as far as we know)

Doesn't that just tell us the complete opposite - i.e. someone who is not a rapper can sound like someone who is a rapper?

Could it just be that both their speaking voices just have a bit of a confident swagger, rather than specifically be a rapper. (Although obviously rappers would tend to have a confident swagger).

But basically a rapper might be likely to have a confident swagger in their spoken voice, but someone with a confident swagger in their spoken voice certainly won't necessarily be a rapper.

It would probably make a good Venn diagram.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Having slept on this, I still can't quite fathom the 'sounds like a rapper' thing.

jmmo - are you saying that you can tell from someone's speaking voice whether or not they are a rapper? And the example you are giving to demonstrate this is a Chinese girl who is a rapper, and a girl from London who is not a rapper? (as far as we know)

Doesn't that just tell us the complete opposite - i.e. someone who is not a rapper can sound like someone who is a rapper?

Could it just be that both their speaking voices just have a bit of a confident swagger, rather than specifically be a rapper. (Although obviously rappers would tend to have a confident swagger).

But basically a rapper might be likely to have a confident swagger in their spoken voice, but someone with a confident swagger in their spoken voice certainly won't necessarily be a rapper.

It would probably make a good Venn diagram.

Possibly its a cadence thing? I have noticed a lot of rappers have a certain cadence even when just talking.

But since you guys jumped straight down the racist route, I am not sure he is going to respond.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Possibly its a cadence thing? I have noticed a lot of rappers have a certain cadence even when just talking.

But since you guys jumped straight down the racist route, I am not sure he is going to respond.

To be fair, I did say to jmmo that I didn't think he meant it to come out like that.

Even if it is a cadence or intonation thing, that misses the point which is that Julie isn't actually a rapper.

So if the theory is that you can tell that someone is a rapper from their spoken voice, then using someone who isn't actually a rapper as an example seems to disprove, rather than prove that theory.

If anything, someone with a particular cadence might make a good rapper, but you couldn't say that someone was a rapper from their voice.

Never mind that there's probably a lot less rap on her show than people make out - I thought her stuff was more R&B / grime?

Reactions: Jstuts5797

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'll be a monkey's uncle...
(It was short lived though, we're back to Rhianna already)
12226ead3da10bdf606e77bb664119fc.jpg
0eb90938f8f6f1086ef8bf2120225423.jpg

Last edited:

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
but claiming the whole thing is rubbish because it doesn't suit you is absurd. It's like me saying a Mac Pro is pointless because I only really do office work on it.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Apple's selling point for Beats1 was that it wouldn't play music that was genre specific. It would play music because it was just great music. That's a grand idea, but clearly it is genre specific. Their selling point made me believe I could turn it on and hear a variety of music at all times. That's not that case. Like regular radio, I have to plan my listening times around a specific schedule to hear what I like to hear. Unfortunately for me, the only time I can listen to it is appears to be when majority of the music played his some form of Hip Hop/Rap. My obvious option, of course, is to just stop listening and let those who enjoy it, keep enjoying it. But when someone creates a thread titled, "Why all the hate for Beats1" I will answer, "It's not supposed to be genre specific, but all I ever hear is Rap and/or Hip-Hop. I like Hip-Hop, but I also like other genres, and can someone please tell Ebro that letting a song breathe means you shouldn't talk, sing, or play that God-awful goat scream over the song?"

rd1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Saint Petersburg Florida
I like Club Music and still find Beats 1 the crappiest, most annoying radio station ever.

When is Beats 2 launching? We need more Pop / Dance.

yeah it does get annoying for me too. there are times when I'm like what is this they're playing. other times like right now(listening to Selection) and when Lazer Sounds is on, I'm like this is the best. I'm hoping for an R&B/Soul station that breaks in as much R&B as they do pop artists.

As far as Dance music goes, I prefer the type of Dance music we had back in the 90's. Beats1 has got me interested in Disclosure and similar artists. I never realized how much I enjoyed house music, although I'm not into clubs or dancing. Its just nice music to chill to.

Anyhow I think it would be dope if Beats2, Beats3, or whichever would have more of these flagship programs on a regular during the weekday. I get that Beats1 is worldwide, but sometimes the NY/LA/London shows can break up the vibe.

...also, I found out about Dash Radio, which is the free alternative to sirius radio. they had a station called Dash1, but later removed the name and left the logo. I thought it was strange that the music playlist was very similar to that of Beats1. Which leads me to believe Beat1 might be "the pop channel" as Radio 1 is for BBC. but i might be reading too much into it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.