Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I’m going to have to replace my old SE soon and my plan was to buy the SE 2020 or SE3 if Apple release one soon. But now I’m wondering if the 13 mini is really the last ‘small’ phone Apple will make. It’s not small to me at all. I tried the 12 mini and couldn’t type properly on it because it’s so big. I couldn’t use it one-handed which was really annoying. I also hated the screen and it caused headaches although maybe I’d get used to it eventually. The notch is ugly and the long, narrow screen is just uncomfortable to look at.

So I’m living in hope that one day, Apple will make another phone the same size as the original SE or even the 4S. Is this likely? If not, I’m thinking maybe I should try the 13 mini and put up with all it’s problems, because it will last longer than the SE2020. It’s a lot of money for features I have no use for or interest in, but if it’s really the last small phone then it might be worth it.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
It’s funny that when the SE 2020 came out, I read a lot of reviewers that hailed it as a return to a “small” phone; it was smaller (slightly) than the X and 11, but come on, “small” should mean the original SE.

Anyway, to your question, of course no one knows the answer. The rumors suggest that there will be no 14 mini, so it appears that for at least the near future there is unlikely to be anything in the neighborhood of the SE 2016.

I would suggest, if you are not happy with the mechanics of typing on the minis, that you consider the SE 2020 (or the upcoming rumored SE 2022, which looks like it will be a refresh of the 2020 model). It will be bigger than what you’re used to, but the mechanics are similar: there is a home button, which means the keyboard would be vertically placed similarly to what you’re used to. You would have to get used to the size, and to the sleep button being on the side instead of the top.

I had the SE 2020 for close to two years. I was worried about adjusting to the larger size, but it didn’t take me long at all (just as everyone told me would happen, lol). But I do tend to be a two-handed user, so there is that. If you’re not used to using the Reachability feature, you could try that out and see if that works well for you as well.

I have since upgraded to a 13 mini, and I like it a lot, though I am still adjusting to Face ID and the lack 9f a home button.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes! You can count on it. The 4-inch display will make a comeback along with the 11-inch MacBook Air.

(No, not really.)

If you look at the installed base numbers from 2016 onward, iPhone 5, 5c, and 5S users moved to larger devices instead of buying SE. Apple discontinued the iPhone SE in 2018 and left that spot vacant until 2020. In other words, sales were so low, it wasn't even worth keeping on the shelf. The fact that Apple chose to keep iPod Touch but not SE 2016 tells you how bad it was.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Yes! You can count on it. The 4-inch display will make a comeback along with the 11-inch MacBook Air.

(No, not really.)

If you look at the installed base numbers from 2016 onward, iPhone 5, 5c, and 5S users moved to larger devices instead of buying SE. Apple discontinued the iPhone SE in 2018 and left that spot vacant until 2020. In other words, sales were so low, it wasn't even worth keeping on the shelf. The fact that Apple chose to keep iPod Touch but not SE 2016 tells you how bad it was.
That might have been the case back then, but I think a lot of people have got fed up carrying these huge phones around all day. The 12 mini and especially 13 mini seem very popular and there’s lots of people like me, reluctant to part with their old SE’s because it’s smaller than any other. I can’t understand why anyone thinks bigger is better, apart from maybe the elderly who have eyesight problems. My old SE does everything the bigger phones do and at least I don’t have to carry a brick around everywhere.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That might have been the case back then, but I think a lot of people have got fed up carrying these huge phones around all day. The 12 mini and especially 13 mini seem very popular and there’s lots of people like me, reluctant to part with their old SE’s because it’s smaller than any other. I can’t understand why anyone thinks bigger is better, apart from maybe the elderly who have eyesight problems. My old SE does everything the bigger phones do and at least I don’t have to carry a brick around everywhere.

People simply want to do more with iPhone. Apple is adding more features to iOS each year. You can't FaceTime a large group of people on a 4-inch display. You can't realistically use SharePlay or PiP on a small screen. Home screen widgets are getting larger. More people are using iPhone as their primary computing device and prefer to scroll less. Kids this generation grew up using a 10-inch iPad would have trouble moving to a 4-inch iPhone.

If you use a single app at a time, smaller screens will still work. But the sales numbers suggest most people prefer larger displays. Apple isn't allergic to money. If iPhone 12/13 mini were a money maker, Apple would be keeping it in the lineup instead of axing it and replacing it with 6.7-inch.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I think the current mini is the smallest you'll see on a Smartphone from Apple. I held one today and laughed at how small the 4" displays on the 5,5s were.

Reactions: valleian

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’m going to have to replace my old SE soon and my plan was to buy the SE 2020 or SE3 if Apple release one soon. But now I’m wondering if the 13 mini is really the last ‘small’ phone Apple will make. It’s not small to me at all. I tried the 12 mini and couldn’t type properly on it because it’s so big. I couldn’t use it one-handed which was really annoying. I also hated the screen and it caused headaches although maybe I’d get used to it eventually. The notch is ugly and the long, narrow screen is just uncomfortable to look at.

So I’m living in hope that one day, Apple will make another phone the same size as the original SE or even the 4S. Is this likely? If not, I’m thinking maybe I should try the 13 mini and put up with all it’s problems, because it will last longer than the SE2020. It’s a lot of money for features I have no use for or interest in, but if it’s really the last small phone then it might be worth it.
I have to say it’s a tough time for users like you as most people seem to want bigger screens.
The fact that you cannot do 12 Mini is very difficult as I highly doubt there will be something the size of 4S.

I would say you may see a SE 2022/2023 and 14 Mini, the pundits are saying another Mini is not coming but I have a feeling Apple may just reduce the numbers of availability and still provide a Mini, that’s just my opinion.

Right now I would recommend sitting tight IF YOU CAN, and waiting to see what comes this year, in September you’ll probably be able to make a more informed decision.

Reactions: Crystal21

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t expect another small iPhone anytime soon. The topic btw comes up every couple of days, hence browsing the board will retrieve similar discussions in case the OP needs more opinions.

Reactions: Crystal21

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I also prefer "small" phones and can relate to alot of what you're saying - i really like my 13 mini, it's small enough that i can type with one hand (swype), but still have difficulty reaching all 4 corners of the screen with my thumb because it's actually not that small of a phone - nothing like the older 3.5-4" size iPhones.

Although I really like the photos the camera takes on my 13 mini, I don't demand alot from my phone (communication, music and radio really), so I would probably have been fine with the 12 mini - and as an added bonus it's a tiny bit thinner.

So if you're concerned about the price of the 13 mini (rightly so!) and don't need flagship camera performance in a small phone, maybe see what deal you can find on the 12 mini. some people say the battery isn't great, but my dad has one and doesn't seem to have any problem - i think the 12 mini battery life is still better than the 2020 SE.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Apple is dumb. They seem to think that human pockets and hands will magically become large forever. I knows lots of people with small hands, and that is never going to change. The SE 1 or iPhone 4 size makes perfect sense. Apple even admitted it in their iPhone 5 ads.
For me, phone size directly correlates to how distracting it is. Give me a refreshed SE 1, and I can keep it in my pocket when I need it.
Also, if they can fit a headphone jack onto the small iPhone 4 and 5, then they should be able to retain it for all iPhones. Period.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

No, it isn’t likely. On a global trend to bigger and bigger phones, we’re lucky to have smartphones like the SE 2020, the upcoming SE+ in March, or the iPhone 13 mini. We are really lucky as I say, because on Android everything is bigger than 6 inches. And, starting later this year, it will be the same way with iPhones.

Apple won’t release a 4” iPhone. And I doubt they will ever release a new 5.4” iPhone with the mini design. So, if you get headaches from the OLED displays, just wait a few weeks until the March event, and get the third generation iPhone SE (AKA iPhone SE+), because that will probably be your last chance to getting something that isn’t just a huge brick. That‘s the trend. I’m sorry.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Aside from the bigger display, other users go with the bigger models for longer battery life... I am also one of those that would still want a current iPhone that is similar to iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 but battery life is another thing which is why I am sticking with my iPhone 7 Plus until its end of life (hardware dead)... I want the advanced/newer photography features in the newer models but I already have a DSLR camera which is what I usually use to take photos and videos so not looking to upgrade yet...

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Apple is dumb. They seem to think that human pockets and hands will magically become large forever. I knows lots of people with small hands, and that is never going to change. The SE 1 or iPhone 4 size makes perfect sense. Apple even admitted it in their iPhone 5 ads.
For me, phone size directly correlates to how distracting it is. Give me a refreshed SE 1, and I can keep it in my pocket when I need it.
Also, if they can fit a headphone jack onto the small iPhone 4 and 5, then they should be able to retain it for all iPhones. Period.

Apple are giving the people what they want, and what they want is larger phones. The small phone market is too small for them to cater to which is why even the Mini is going to get axed. Anyone that thinks the Mini is too large is in a very small segment of the phone community as it’s smaller than any of their previous lineup. I hope that they will still make Mini sized phones as they are my preference but there doesn’t appear to be value in the market.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple is not "dumb". If they were "dumb", they wouldn't be a trillion dollar company today.

From Apple's perspective, the mini had one purpose, to increase the regular iphone price by $100 without anyone noticing. And it worked. Now that the dust has settled, Apple would not need to keep the mini anymore as people already accepted that regular iphone starts at $800. The next mission is to increase the Pro iphones prices.

Imo the smaller size of the mini was just a side effect.

It will be difficult for Apple to make an iphone 5 size iphone today. And people would expect it to be cheap, which is what Apple doesn't want to go to.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

Wait…

1. You dislike the notch
2. You dislike the narrow tall screen design
3. You can’t use it one handed
4. Most importantly it causes you headaches

You really should NOT buy the iPhone 13 mini.

I mean just the fact that it causes headaches is pretty telling that you should just stay away from it.

Best option at the moment seems to be to keep using the iPhone SE you already have, till it no longer works. Hopefully Apple builds something small enough, using screen technology that does not give you headaches in the coming years.

If ultimately this doesn’t happen, hopefully the latest SE at that time works out for you.

edc415

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wish the Phone SE3 would come as a hybrid flip phone with a screen that folds.
Remember the Motorola Razr V3 in all its splendor?

Makes it way more fun when you hang up on someone and is very pocketable. Add modern screen folding tech so when you need to do an MMS, you can use an onscreen keyboard instead of the number keypad. All other Modern Apps and IOS Features would just work on the folding screen.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Wish the Phone SE3 would come as a hybrid flip phone with a screen that folds.
Remember the Motorola Razr V3 in all its splendor?

Makes it way more fun when you hang up on someone and is very pocketable. Add modern screen folding tech so when you need to do an MMS, you can use an onscreen keyboard instead of the number keypad. All other Modern Apps and IOS Features would just work on the folding screen.

It's sort of my dream phone

Particularly if it's dictation enabled. Almost all of my iMessage on phone usage is with dictation anyhow.

Reactions: edc415

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I don’t expect another small iPhone anytime soon. The topic btw comes up every couple of days, hence browsing the board will retrieve similar discussions in case the OP needs more opinions.
If this topic comes up here all the time, it proves this is a common problem and many people want smaller phones. I can’t understand why Apple are ignoring that. I don’t think it’s about money. If they brought out another SE1 sized phone (or smaller), I’d be willing to pay more than the price of the current ‘mini’s’. In fact, by offering only these huge brick phones, Apple are reducing sales of iPads, Macs etc. People won’t bother having those devices if their phone screen is almost as big.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If this topic comes up here all the time, it proves this is a common problem and many people want smaller phones. I can’t understand why Apple are ignoring that. I don’t think it’s about money. If they brought out another SE1 sized phone (or smaller), I’d be willing to pay more than the price of the current ‘mini’s’. In fact, by offering only these huge brick phones, Apple are reducing sales of iPads, Macs etc. People won’t bother having those devices if their phone screen is almost as big.
No, you will not be willing to pay premium price. People has been saying they would, but once Apple released the mini, the same people are complaining how expensive it is. So Apple took note. The proof is in the pudding.

Apple doesn't care if their big phones cannibalize their ipad sales. Apple made more money and margins on the Pro Max iphones, and the likelihood of accessories purchases on iphones are higher, especially with airpods and the lightning accessories. That's why Apple had no issue transitioning iPads to usb-c, while they stubbornly keep lightning on iphones.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
vote with your feet - buy a 13 mini or 12 mini. if apple stop making these and mine breaks beyond repair for some reason and I still need an iPhone I will just buy refurb 12 mini or 13 mini - i'm sure they'll be around on the refurb store for some time.

the lower sales of the mini vs the other sizes is greatly overexaggerated. It's low in % terms compared to the other models because apple sell so many iPhones. In reality the 12 mini / 13 mini sells better than some other phone manufacturers whole range could only ever dream of.

lastly, it's a 5.42" screen phone! (only 0.43" smaller screen than the X / XS / 11 Pro, and consequently a higher DPI too). Most under-rated phone in apples line up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.