Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If this topic comes up here all the time, it proves this is a common problem and many people want smaller phones. I can’t understand why Apple are ignoring that. I don’t think it’s about money. If they brought out another SE1 sized phone (or smaller), I’d be willing to pay more than the price of the current ‘mini’s’. In fact, by offering only these huge brick phones, Apple are reducing sales of iPads, Macs etc. People won’t bother having those devices if their phone screen is almost as big.

This is an enthusiast forum and all possible topics relevant to enthusiasts come up all the time - that doesn’t necessarily mean much in the real world.

There is a small iPhone out there in the form of the mini that would suffice for most users who are after a smaller phone.

Since plenty people tend to rather go the opposite direction Tumors are that small doesn’t sell well but Apple doesn’t disclose sales numbers hence it’s all a bit of guesswork.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI and leifp

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Following with interest as I too have an iPhone SE with half a camera and a failing battery that needs replacing and I'm beginning to look around. One of the problems is that ladies' jeans tend to come with small pockets and not being able to put my phone in means it probably wont be near me when it rings! My husband has the SE2 but that is just a bit too big to fit. I like the home button but I think my fingerprints might be wearing out as I often have problems opening my phone and MBP!

I use the camera only occasionally as I prefer to use my Fujifilm's, and I don't watch videos on my phone as I'm usually at home so I'm not exactly an intensive user. I'll get either the 12 mini or the 13 mini. The 12 mini has the advantage of being about £100 cheaper and slightly thinner, whereas the 13 mini could be better for being supported longer. Having said that, my SE is wearing out but Apple are still supporting it!

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’m going to have to replace my old SE soon and my plan was to buy the SE 2020 or SE3 if Apple release one soon. But now I’m wondering if the 13 mini is really the last ‘small’ phone Apple will make. It’s not small to me at all. I tried the 12 mini and couldn’t type properly on it because it’s so big. I couldn’t use it one-handed which was really annoying. I also hated the screen and it caused headaches although maybe I’d get used to it eventually. The notch is ugly and the long, narrow screen is just uncomfortable to look at.

So I’m living in hope that one day, Apple will make another phone the same size as the original SE or even the 4S. Is this likely? If not, I’m thinking maybe I should try the 13 mini and put up with all it’s problems, because it will last longer than the SE2020. It’s a lot of money for features I have no use for or interest in, but if it’s really the last small phone then it might be worth it.
Wait. If the iPhone 14 (or whatever they end up calling it) doesn’t have a “mini” model, the 13 mini will still be available (and less expensive than it is now). If it does come out, you will have a choice between a 12 mini, 13 mini, and 14 mini…

I love my 13 mini, which I did not expect. The 5 was my favourite form factor but it turns out the mini size is perfectly ideal for my hand size, etc. My wife still misses the 4… but with battery life being what it is, I believe phones smaller than the “mini” series will not make a return (unless there are massive A series processor efficiency improvements or until huge jumps in battery tech materialize)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The bottom line is that if you are after a phone smaller than the Mini, you will have to go elsewhere as Apple is not going to cater to you. I liked handling small phones like the 4S back in the day but we use our phones for so much more now. I regularly watch shows on Netflix and Disney along with videos on YouTube on my Mini which is about as small as I would ever want to go on a media device. I used the 2016 SE for 6 months before upgrading to the 8 when it was released because the screen size was appallingly small and genuinely sapped any enjoyment out of the media I was consuming. The Mini is the perfect size as the screen is similar to the 8 with a smaller chassis along with the design language of the iPhone 4/5 which everybody loves.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
The bottom line is that if you are after a phone smaller than the Mini, you will have to go elsewhere as Apple is not going to cater to you. I liked handling small phones like the 4S back in the day but we use our phones for so much more now. I regularly watch shows on Netflix and Disney along with videos on YouTube on my Mini which is about as small as I would ever want to go on a media device. I used the 2016 SE for 6 months before upgrading to the 8 when it was released because the screen size was appallingly small and genuinely sapped any enjoyment out of the media I was consuming. The Mini is the perfect size as the screen is similar to the 8 with a smaller chassis along with the design language of the iPhone 4/5 which everybody loves.
For me it’s the other way round. I like watching Netflix, YouTube etc when I’m lying in bed. My original SE is perfect for that as it’s so small and light. Holding a larger phone would get tiring and the lack of bezels would be really annoying because I’d have to be careful to hold it by the edges and not touch the screen. If I want to watch content on a large screen, I use my TV.

The lack of bezels really is impractical and badly designed imo. When I tried the 12 mini, one of the most irritating things was trying not to touch the screen every time I picked it up or took it out of my pocket. Constantly waking the phone up inadvertently must be a real battery drainer too.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The lack of bezels really is impractical and badly designed imo.

I agree with you totally.

This is why I use and enjoy my iPad mini 5 and iPhone SE1

I like home buttons, easy to grab bezels and headphone jacks.

I like devices built for maximum function and not just "looking sexy" or whatever people obsess about when they go bananas about "THIN BEZELS!!"" (why?)

Reactions: Crystal21

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I like devices built for maximum function and not just "looking sexy" or whatever people obsess about when they go bananas about "THIN BEZELS!!"" (why?)
I guess Apple believe they need to constantly update things to stay ahead in the market and in the absence of any genuine improvements, they’ll just change something, announce it as new/improved and tell people it’s better. There seems to be a significant section of society who buy into that, regardless of how impractical it is, and even if it’s actually making the device and experience, worse.

I remember iOS6 and how flawless it was. Now it’s endless bug-ridden software and the waiting/hoping for updates that might sort some problems out whilst creating a few new ones. With Apple it used to be ‘It just works’ but now it’s more like ‘The best of a bad lot’.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
vote with your feet - buy a 13 mini or 12 mini. if apple stop making these and mine breaks beyond repair for some reason and I still need an iPhone I will just buy refurb 12 mini or 13 mini - i'm sure they'll be around on the refurb store for some time.
No doubt about that. Apple doesn't make a device obsolete till seven years after it's last been sold new. The iPhone 6/6+ hit that list just yesterday.
There is a small iPhone out there in the form of the mini that would suffice for most users who are after a smaller phone.
Yes. As far as I can tell, the reason that Apple is dropping the Mini in 2022 is because a new SE will be introduced soon with 5G. No one knows what the cameras will be like or the exact form.

The reasoning is that the Mini will be redundant once this new SE arrives. There is a definite market for a smaller iPhone and Apple knows it. Nothing wrong with consolidating SKUs and eliminating redundant models as the rumors seem to be pointing.

We love the Mini around our house. Even though I have a 13 Pro for its advanced camera, my wife's 13 Mini is a great device and I would have been happy had I gotten one for myself.

Following with interest as I too have an iPhone SE with half a camera and a failing battery that needs replacing and I'm beginning to look around.

If your need is immediate, most carriers are giving the 12 Mini away. Trade-ins on the 13 Mini are still quite generous. With an SE as a trade-in, condition won't matter. You'll pay the sales tax and a small hook-up fee at the store.

That failing battery can expand without warning (yes, really) if the battery life is below 80% ruining your phone—that's what all the fuss was about 2 years ago.

You can take your SE to a Genius Bar if you have an Apple Store that's conveniently located. They will either offer to replace the battery at a nominal cost or not replace the battery if it has another hardware problem. Your "half a camera" can be anything but they'll give you a credit on another phone if the battery can't be replaced and tell you what else is wrong if anything. If you have insurance through your carrier, call and have that service center look at that instead.

Bottom line, the repair costs may be minimal letting you put off any replacement options till the Fall (or later!). An expanded battery forces the decision sooner than you want.

Reactions: Ish

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I guess Apple believe they need to constantly update things to stay ahead in the market and in the absence of any genuine improvements, they’ll just change something, announce it as new/improved and tell people it’s better. There seems to be a significant section of society who buy into that, regardless of how impractical it is, and even if it’s actually making the device and experience, worse.

I remember iOS6 and how flawless it was. Now it’s endless bug-ridden software and the waiting/hoping for updates that might sort some problems out whilst creating a few new ones. With Apple it used to be ‘It just works’ but now it’s more like ‘The best of a bad lot’.

Ahhh... the good old days of constant dropped calls and a camera that was barely functional when the light was low. Perfect iOS 6? Never again, thanks.

As a doctor friend used to say back then, "It's good that Apple doesn't make defibrillators."

That said, I do like smaller hand sets. I owned a 7+ for a few years and never liked its size—loved the dual lens camera, though. When the Xs had a better camera in a smaller size, I jumped over and never looked back.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Take the band off the Apple Watch. Small phone.
Well, we’re getting there. The discussion was a while ago, that the Apple Watch would eventually replace the iPhone in about a decade, but I’m not sure if that is Apples end goal or not.

Ultimately, the fact that Apple still even offered a small-er iPhone for years, shows they understand there’s more of a demographic that doesn’t just want large smart phones. Having a division of small phones, to midsize, to large phones, just creates a broader spectrum of widening sales.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL I used to rock a Sony Z Ultra ... It was like a tablet ... miss that phone ! Waterproof a headphone jack back in the day.
:D

I was walking behind someone on a phone call once about a decade ago I think. He had some sort of Android device that would have been around the size of an iPad Mini slapped up against his ear.

I'm all for bigger phones but when you look like you have a serving tray against your head I think it's a little overdoing it. :)

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
I undermined myself by getting a 13 pro instead of the mini even though I vastly prefer the mini form factor. the battery and high refresh screen were what drew me in. my guess is the battery life expectations set by larger phones have really hurt smaller phones. maybe if they made a mini with only efficiency cores. the M1 vs M1 Max has shown that more performance cores can drain even a larger battery faster.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
As much as i would like to upgrade the OG SE, there is nothing in the lineup that i like… SE 2 (and the rumored SE 3) using the iPhone 6-8 body that is too big, while Mini 13 having smaller body size, but don’t like the FaceID! if only they made it with TouchID like iPad mini 6/air 4 (or under the screen) that would be the perfect phone.

Ps, for the ones that still using the OG SE1, which iOS you using, and how is the performance/battery life?

Reactions: NeonIbis

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
As much as i would like to upgrade the OG SE, there is nothing in the lineup that i like… SE 2 (and the rumored SE 3) using the iPhone 6-8 body that is too big, while Mini 13 having smaller body size, but don’t like the FaceID! if only they made it with TouchID like iPad mini 6/air 4 (or under the screen) that would be the perfect phone.

Ps, for the ones that still using the OG SE1, which iOS you using, and how is the performance/battery life?

It’s a shame that you’ll have to either get used to Face ID, which is really good on the iPhone 12 and up, or move onto another phone manufacturer as the Mini will not be in the lineup this year. There is no value in the small phone market which is why the iPhone 14’s lineup will consist of the 14/14 Max and the Pro/Pro Max.

Those complaining about having an SE1 and wishing Apple made small phones again should have shown support to the Mini and purchased one so that they wouldn’t be cut from the lineup. Oh well, looks like it’ll be back to larger phones for me…

Reactions: Barbareren

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
As an aside, I don't get these people who are always saying that this iPad or that size phone is best for watching video in bed. For a healthy lifestyle, the bed is best reserved for two activities, one of which is sleeping ;)

Reactions: ericwn

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Mine is on iOS 15.3.1

The battery health is showing as 92% but that doesn’t seem accurate to me. The battery will randomly plummet suddenly and it needs charged during the day now. Apps occasionally crash.

Reactions: geta

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
It’s a shame that you’ll have to either get used to Face ID, which is really good on the iPhone 12 and up, or move onto another phone manufacturer as the Mini will not be in the lineup this year. There is no value in the small phone market which is why the iPhone 14’s lineup will consist of the 14/14 Max and the Pro/Pro Max.

Those complaining about having an SE1 and wishing Apple made small phones again should have shown support to the Mini and purchased one so that they wouldn’t be cut from the lineup. Oh well, looks like it’ll be back to larger phones for me…
As much as i like everything about the Mini 13, FaceID is a no go. For the time being ill continue using the SE as long as possible till they’ll bring back TouchID, even if that means ill have to get bigger phone…

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I wouldn't recommend getting something that gives you headaches. Of course you would have to try the device first to know, but the SE is PWM free for now.

Reactions: Crystal21

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
As much as i like everything about the Mini 13, FaceID is a no go. For the time being ill continue using the SE as long as possible till they’ll bring back TouchID, even if that means ill have to get bigger phone…

We’ve been waiting for in-screen Touch ID for years and the technology has been available. I agree we should get it, but Apple probably aren’t going to listen to us and implement it as I don’t believe there are enough people complaining about the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.