Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I'm really hoping there's something small-ish in the future that brings back TouchId (I guess on the power button like iPads?)
Not going to happen. The power button takes up screen space — unless you’re talking about a side button like on the latest iPad Mini but that would require two hands to work.

Apple has been talking about and testing Touch ID through the screen but hasn’t got it working well enough — weird since Samsung has cracked that nut.

• Angry
Reactions: N69AP

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
As much as i like everything about the Mini 13, FaceID is a no go. For the time being ill continue using the SE as long as possible till they’ll bring back TouchID, even if that means ill have to get bigger phone…
I had that concern when I gave up my 7+. Took me half a day to get used to it on my Xs; my wife about the same on her 12 Mini. I don’t think about it anymore. You still have to enter the 6 number unlock code after a restart or 100% charge. Supposedly, iOS 15.4 will add the ability for Face ID to work with a mask on which will be more convenient but I’m not holding my breath.

Interestingly, both my grown daughters faces unlock her phone and one of them looks more like me. I’d like Touch ID to come back through the screen but it doesn’t make my Top 40 list of features id like to see.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not going to happen. The power button takes up screen space — unless you’re talking about a side button like on the latest iPad Mini but that would require two hands to work.

Apple has been talking about and testing Touch ID through the screen but hasn’t got it working well enough — weird since Samsung has cracked that nut.

I think it’s pretty obvious that the post you quoted is referring to the power, not the home button.

Extra question: when did Apple talk about Touch ID through the screen? I’d like to read up on that statement.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I think it’s pretty obvious that the post you quoted is referring to the power, not the home button.

Extra question: when did Apple talk about Touch ID through the screen? I’d like to read up on that statement.
You must be a mind reader because it wasn't obvious to me. Anyway, it's impractical to have Touch ID on the power button of the iPhone unless everyone has the same size hand and grips it the same way with the same hand. It would also mean a case re-design so that this special power button would be useable at all when in a case (think about it). As I've said before, that ain't gonna happen.

Where did I read about this? MacRumors, of course. Where else?

Touch ID Under the Display

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You must be a mind reader because it wasn't obvious to me. Anyway, it's impractical to have Touch ID on the power button of the iPhone unless everyone has the same size hand and grips it the same way with the same hand. It would also mean a case re-design so that this special power button would be useable at all when in a case (think about it). As I've said before, that ain't gonna happen.

Where did I read about this? MacRumors, of course. Where else?

Touch ID Under the Display

There’s no mind reading capability necessary although thank you for the suggestion. The post you quoted explicitly said power button and referred to iPad as an example, which has never been anywhere else but on the side of the device.
I do agree though, having it on a side button would feel awkward to many users.

Also thanks for the link!
And correct if I’m reading this wrong but Apple actually never stated anything with regards to the in display Touch ID at all and all we are talking about are Macrumors articles based on pieces written by others that also don’t refer to any statements made by Apple.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I had that concern when I gave up my 7+. Took me half a day to get used to it on my Xs; my wife about the same on her 12 Mini. I don’t think about it anymore. You still have to enter the 6 number unlock code after a restart or 100% charge. Supposedly, iOS 15.4 will add the ability for Face ID to work with a mask on which will be more convenient but I’m not holding my breath.

Interestingly, both my grown daughters faces unlock her phone and one of them looks more like me. I’d like Touch ID to come back through the screen but it doesn’t make my Top 40 list of features id like to see.
That’s very concerning. Face ID allows other people to unlock your wife’s phone? Is that right? It doesn’t matter if they’re family members or look similar. If others can unlock it, then it’s not secure at all.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
That’s very concerning. Face ID allows other people to unlock your wife’s phone? Is that right? It doesn’t matter if they’re family members or look similar. If others can unlock it, then it’s not secure at all.
No argument there. I haven't checked to see if their faces unlock my phone—I suspect not. It is one of the reasons why I would like to see Touch ID return. Brand S has it working under the screen, Apple's been testing it, I wish that they'd hurry up and get it right.

Reactions: Crystal21

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It is super small comparing to iPhone 13 or max

The topic is about small phones which are smaller than the Mini. I think the Mini is perfect but some posters here, including the OP, are wanting something the same size as the SE1.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
The topic is about small phones which are smaller than the Mini. I think the Mini is perfect but some posters here, including the OP, are wanting something the same size as the SE1.

They would not make a 4”phone anymore, it is just too small to see for any human.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
They would not make a 4”phone anymore, it is just too small to see for any human.
I agree. The fact that they’re removing the Mini from this year’s lineup is an indication that Apple are done with small phones.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I must be superhuman then, along with all the other people who own this phone. I can see it just fine.
It is fine for basic phone use and some multimedia and browsing. Don’t get me wrong, I want Apple to release an SE3 in the shape of the SE1, but I think the consumers out there are more in favour of the SE2 shape because it’s a larger and more useful phone for all the social media, video streaming, video conferencing and all the other activities they want to do. Apple are in it for the money so they will always do what’s best for them.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
I think it's a shame if Apple won't make any more smaller phones. I have almost decided to get a 13 Mini later this year, and hope Apple have changed their minds when it's time to replace it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think it's a shame if Apple won't make any more smaller phones. I have almost decided to get a 13 Mini later this year, and hope Apple have changed their minds when it's time to replace it.
The 13 Mini is such a powerhouse I reckon it’ll last at least 4-5 years and is only limited by battery degradation. I have a 12 Mini and I will probably just keep it after a battery replacement later this year. There is no reason to mindlessly upgrade each year just because something new and shiny is available.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I use a daily combo of iPhone 12 mini and iPad Air 4 and have no issues whatsoever with this setup. However, I am the only one of the people around me with such a “small phone”. I did see a few minis in the wild ;), but they are in absolute minority.

Do not forget that Apple know the exact number of iPhones (old and new) in circulation and all possible usage patterns (stationary, on the go, in the car, etc.), so when they make their decisions they are guided by the actual demand and a potential profit. Simple as that.

Also, iPhone is not a house we buy, it has become a daily communication & productivity tool for lots of people, who are very unlikely to keep it for longer than 5 years anyway (both software & hardware ageing/obsolescence).

Everything - web-based apps, productivity apps, content consumption are currently geared towards screens around 6” and higher, the rest is marginal.

My personal hope is that Apple at some point will bring back another sub-6” screen, say in a rumoured 5.7” iPhone SE 2023 shape, but if not - I will be just fine with their other smallest offering, as long as it has a good camera and a decent battery.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
The 13 Mini is such a powerhouse I reckon it’ll last at least 4-5 years and is only limited by battery degradation. I have a 12 Mini and I will probably just keep it after a battery replacement later this year. There is no reason to mindlessly upgrade each year just because something new and shiny is available.
Good to hear you are enjoying your iPhone 12. :)

I was waiting for the new SE because I like TouchID on my 8. But when I realized the 13 Mini is smaller and with a bigger screen, the choice became easier and FaceID is probably okay too.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I would love a 3,5" iPhone (but I would not like Apples giant interface for it, with elements more suitable for a 42" TV and the battery would last 3 hours...)

I really like the size of SE1 (using it to write this) but the batterylife is crap and it didn't help to get a new battery. The CPU eats too much anyway.

My iP12 pro max for work is sized like a pocket TV but has a battery that - one year old - still lasts for two days. I guess I'll have to stick with the giants to get decent batterylife...

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Good to hear you are enjoying your iPhone 12. :)

I was waiting for the new SE because I like TouchID on my 8. But when I realized the 13 Mini is smaller and with a bigger screen, the choice became easier and FaceID is probably okay too.
I was reticent about Face ID also until I began using it. It’s actually easier to log in with it than Touch ID around 90% of the time. I would still like an in-screen Touch ID on later models because there are times Face ID can fail - mask wearing & dark rooms, for instance. The OLED screen on the 12 is a big upgrade over the LCD panel on the 8. That’s the first big difference I noticed as I had upgraded from the 8 myself.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I would love a 3,5" iPhone (but I would not like Apples giant interface for it, with elements more suitable for a 42" TV and the battery would last 3 hours...)

I really like the size of SE1 (using it to write this) but the batterylife is crap and it didn't help to get a new battery. The CPU eats too much anyway.

My iP12 pro max for work is sized like a pocket TV but has a battery that - one year old - still lasts for two days. I guess I'll have to stick with the giants to get decent batterylife...

The processors in these things are quite incredible, tbh. I am not surprised they are so power hungry. I was playing Alien Isolation on my 12 Mini and the graphics are as good as those on the PS4 which is crazy for a mobile chipset. Even the 12 Mini has battery issues which I think were partially resolved in the 13. A new SE with the 5 chassis would run dry very quickly due to the smaller battery capacity.

Reactions: entropi

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

You also have a regular 12-13 or their Pro variants (6.1”), all are in between a mini and a Max. The battery life in those is very decent, especially a bigger one in iPhone 13.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I would still like an in-screen Touch ID on later models because there are times Face ID can fail - mask wearing & dark rooms, for instance.

Mask wearing with FaceID should not be an issue in a few weeks once iOS 15.4 is released or the masks are no longer required, whichever comes sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.