Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 13 Mini is such a powerhouse I reckon it’ll last at least 4-5 years and is only limited by battery degradation. I have a 12 Mini and I will probably just keep it after a battery replacement later this year. There is no reason to mindlessly upgrade each year just because something new and shiny is available.

I am exactly like you, have a Day 1 12 mini and very happy with it. I was going to get the 13 mini on its Day 1 release, but took a step back and decided that my 12 Mini is perfectly fine so just kept on using it. Battery is down to 93% but it still lasts 36 hours based on my usage.

Ill probably get the SE 2022 next month as I cannot resist the SE iphones, and alternate between my 12 mini and the SE.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I would love a 3,5" iPhone (but I would not like Apples giant interface for it, with elements more suitable for a 42" TV and the battery would last 3 hours...)

I really like the size of SE1 (using it to write this) but the batterylife is crap and it didn't help to get a new battery. The CPU eats too much anyway.

My iP12 pro max for work is sized like a pocket TV but has a battery that - one year old - still lasts for two days. I guess I'll have to stick with the giants to get decent batterylife...
Was your SE1 battery always crap? Mine lasted 3-4 days when I first got it.

Reactions: mikehalloran

highground66

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
I know its stupid and wouldn't work but I would love an iPhone 4s body with modern screen and internals. battery life would be terrible but it would be cool

Reactions: lkalliance

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I am exactly like you, have a Day 1 12 mini and very happy with it. I was going to get the 13 mini on its Day 1 release, but took a step back and decided that my 12 Mini is perfectly fine so just kept on using it. Battery is down to 93% but it still lasts 36 hours based on my usage.

Ill probably get the SE 2022 next month as I cannot resist the SE iphones, and alternate between my 12 mini and the SE.
Hehe, and I’m almost exactly like you. ? November 2020 12 mini at 93% battery health. 36 hours is insane for me, though, but I’m a heavy user. I (fast)charge it two times a day usually, but I don’t see myself upgrading for awhile. I love this phone. And, for me personally, I’ve never found the SE-series interesting. I’d rather pay more for a Mini Pro ?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

Mine is a Nov 2020 Mini with 86% battery. I can’t charge my phone during the day though because of my job and I am a heavy user so I always come home with a depleted charge. Your battery health is so good because you aren’t a heavy user.

Reactions: snipr125

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I feel we have only recently got to a point where the battery life on the iPhone can genuinely be called 'all day'. It's always been a struggle and it was an even bigger struggle if not impossible with phones like the 4S.
You can't put a big battery in a small phone and even the SE2-and we have two of them-won't go a day if you use them a lot. The 13pro max will do it with ease.
There's another question mark over components and it is a question because I don't know the answer: 'Do they still make the small screens in large enough numbers to make it profitable'?
We've all seen with components they start expensive, get really cheap as the production ramps up then a year or so later when no one is making them any more, cost a small fortune.
so unless they are prepared to put a lot of faith in making small phones and start to produce small screens in very large numbers again, the small phones would be prohibitively expensive.
That is unless there are still a lot of small phones being made with great screens elsewhere and I don't think there are.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
If your need is immediate, most carriers are giving the 12 Mini away. Trade-ins on the 13 Mini are still quite generous. With an SE as a trade-in, condition won't matter. You'll pay the sales tax and a small hook-up fee at the store.

That failing battery can expand without warning (yes, really) if the battery life is below 80% ruining your phone—that's what all the fuss was about 2 years ago.

You can take your SE to a Genius Bar if you have an Apple Store that's conveniently located. They will either offer to replace the battery at a nominal cost or not replace the battery if it has another hardware problem. Your "half a camera" can be anything but they'll give you a credit on another phone if the battery can't be replaced and tell you what else is wrong if anything. If you have insurance through your carrier, call and have that service center look at that instead.

Bottom line, the repair costs may be minimal letting you put off any replacement options till the Fall (or later!). An expanded battery forces the decision sooner than you want.
Thanks @mikehalloran I asked a few months ago and the Genius Bar quoted around £100 to replace the battery. It'll be six years old next month as I was a very early buyer when it came out. The half a camera is because the back one works but the front one doesn't!

Reactions: mikehalloran

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’d like to see an SE3 in the shape of the 2016 version with a glass back and capacitive Touch ID. That, I reckon, would be the ultimate small phone. It would be fairly cheap to produce and would likely sell more units than the SE2. Such a phone would cater to the small phone causal market and could be priced at a competitive $399.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Mine is a Nov 2020 Mini with 86% battery. I can’t charge my phone during the day though because of my job and I am a heavy user so I always come home with a depleted charge. Your battery health is so good because you aren’t a heavy user.
im not a heavy user in terms of screen on time, but I’ve always got my AW and AirPods Pro connected to my 12 mini, so getting average 36 hours is not bad at all. I also never use MagSafe charging, so this may have helped with battery degradation a bit.

@Barbareren i k ow you said your not interested in the current SE iphones, but if the rumoured SE3 next year is the IPhone X chassis but with slightly larger bezels as a 5.7” screen comes true, would this interest you?

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
im not a heavy user in terms of screen on time, but I’ve always got my AW and AirPods Pro connected to my 12 mini, so getting average 36 hours is not bad at all. I also never use MagSafe charging, so this may have helped with battery degradation a bit.

These phones can last days when hooked up via Bluetooth. At the cost of 1% battery, I can get almost an hour of a podcast streamed onto the car stereo. It’s web browsing and video streaming that is the real battery killer.

I regularly use the MagSafe charging pad to charge my phone. It might be responsible for some of the degradation.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
@Barbareren i k ow you said your not interested in the current SE iphones, but if the rumoured SE3 next year is the IPhone X chassis but with slightly larger bezels as a 5.7” screen comes true, would this interest you?
That definitely doesn’t sound bad ? But personally I don’t like to compromise on specs - that’s why I’m one of those people who want a Mini Pro…

ShrimpScampi

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2021
I am a small phone fanatic but looking at the folks I work with (majority are in their early 20s to mid 30s), I'm the exception. A lot of these people have 4-7 hours of daily screen time clocked on their phones (mostly from social media and YouTube), and bigger seems to be 'better' in their eyes. Sadly I think the (very brief) era of 'minis' is coming to an end.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Maybe it's just me but I feel we have only recently got to a point where the battery life on the iPhone can genuinely be called 'all day'. It's always been a struggle and it was an even bigger struggle if not impossible with phones like the 4S.
My 4S lasted 3-4 days between charges. Easily. If I didn’t use it much it could last 5. It didn’t lose battery on standby either, like the more modern phones do.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
My 4S lasted 3-4 days between charges. Easily. If I didn’t use it much it could last 5. It didn’t lose battery on standby either, like the more modern phones do.

That’s because phones back then were used as phones, not all-in-one computing devices like they are today.

I can go though my phone’s full battery capacity along with the MagSafe battery pack in a single day.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Data plans in 2011 were typically a few hundred MB or a few GB. It's easy to save battery if usage is limited.

Reactions: ericwn and Andeddu

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m going to have to replace my old SE soon and my plan was to buy the SE 2020 or SE3 if Apple release one soon. But now I’m wondering if the 13 mini is really the last ‘small’ phone Apple will make. It’s not small to me at all. I tried the 12 mini and couldn’t type properly on it because it’s so big. I couldn’t use it one-handed which was really annoying. I also hated the screen and it caused headaches although maybe I’d get used to it eventually. The notch is ugly and the long, narrow screen is just uncomfortable to look at.

So I’m living in hope that one day, Apple will make another phone the same size as the original SE or even the 4S. Is this likely? If not, I’m thinking maybe I should try the 13 mini and put up with all it’s problems, because it will last longer than the SE2020. It’s a lot of money for features I have no use for or interest in, but if it’s really the last small phone then it might be worth it.
You do realize the iPhone SE is larger than the 12 mini or 13 mini is ... right?

iPhone 13 Mini: 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.7 mm (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.30 in) 141 g (4.97 oz)
iPhone 12 Mini: 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 in) 135 g (4.76 oz)
iPhone SE '20: 138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3 mm (5.45 x 2.65 x 0.29 in) 148 g (5.22 oz)

The screen may bug yeah, but it is THE smallest phone Apple has made in almost 10yrs.

Reactions: Barbareren

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
People simply want to do more with iPhone. Apple is adding more features to iOS each year. You can't FaceTime a large group of people on a 4-inch display. You can't realistically use SharePlay or PiP on a small screen. Home screen widgets are getting larger. More people are using iPhone as their primary computing device and prefer to scroll less. Kids this generation grew up using a 10-inch iPad would have trouble moving to a 4-inch iPhone.

If you use a single app at a time, smaller screens will still work. But the sales numbers suggest most people prefer larger displays. Apple isn't allergic to money. If iPhone 12/13 mini were a money maker, Apple would be keeping it in the lineup instead of axing it and replacing it with 6.7-inch.

IF it was a money maker and the 12 and 13 mini are -
they made more money per unit sold than the iPhone SE 2020, or the iPhone Xr did.
I cannot find the statistics and source but its in one of my older posts related to iPhone 12/13mini a few months back.

Money by itself is not definitive, volume is what Apple looks for along with profits per unit sold.
Outside of N.America I feel most within the EU and especially in Asian countries the bigger the screen the better and that's where they're putting their bets ($$) on.

Reactions: Barbareren

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don’t see small phones returning to the mainstream market. There are a few people that really love them but that’s such a small percentage that it’s not worth creating a new device for it because it doesn’t pay for research and development. Apple found this out the hard way when they thought since there’s so much talk about small phones they thought the mini would sell but it flopped. It’s a small group of people making a whole lot of chatter so even though it seems like a popular idea it just doesn’t sell.

The biggest problem is the way people use phones now. When people used their phone for mostly phone calls and the occasional text small was ideal because you didn’t need a big screen to read a text message. Now people are watching videos and looking at pictures so a big screen is a significant advantage. Before someone says it, yes people were doing that back then but it wasn’t as popular and once most people got their hands on a larger phone they never went back.

Of course this isn’t ideal for someone with extremely small hands or perhaps someone that doesn’t use the phone for anything other than calls and texts. I think that’s why there’s still a market for “feature phones”.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
IF it was a money maker and the 12 and 13 mini are -
they made more money per unit sold than the iPhone SE 2020, or the iPhone Xr did.
I cannot find the statistics and source but its in one of my older posts related to iPhone 12/13mini a few months back.

Money by itself is not definitive, volume is what Apple looks for along with profits per unit sold.
Outside of N.America I feel most within the EU and especially in Asian countries the bigger the screen the better and that's where they're putting their bets ($$) on.

The 12 mini sold as well as the SE 2020. Except one product is 2 months old and the other 9 months old. Engineering costs probably differ by an order of magnitude. Basically, the 12 mini has no selling longevity.

Yes, the margins on the 12 mini will be higher. But it doesn't help if the units sold is so low.

iphone-12-mini-counterpoint-jan-sales.png

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The 12 mini sold as well as the SE 2020. Except one product is 2 months old and the other 9 months old. Engineering costs probably differ by an order of magnitude. Basically, the 12 mini has no selling longevity.

Yes, the margins on the 12 mini will be higher. But it doesn't help if the units sold is so low.

iphone-12-mini-counterpoint-jan-sales.png
Acttually they're probably making more off the SE2 because everything has been designed and built years ago. It's just putting together some old components. With the 12 Mini they had to make a whole new setup.

This is just for one month in 2021... I'm guessing USA sales?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Acttually they're probably making more off the SE2 because everything has been designed and built years ago. It's just putting together some old components. With the 12 Mini they had to make a whole new setup.

This is just for one month in 2021... I'm guessing USA sales?

It appears to be global sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.