Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
One of my favorite Pino Noir wines is the Migration and shared a bottle the other night.

Recently I'm seeing this woman who will not drink any California wines or any domestic she only drinks european reds. She insists that the Cali wines have pesticides (glyphosate) the find their way into the wine.

link

I love California wines. Any thoughts on this?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of my favorite Pino Noir wines is the Migration and shared a bottle the other night.

Recently I'm seeing this woman who will not drink any California wines or any domestic she only drinks european reds. She insists that the Cali wines have pesticides (glyphosate) the find their way into the wine.

link

I love California wines. Any thoughts on this?

California wines have a very poor reputation in Europe, where I am from.

Possibly this is because of the rubbish that the US used to export in the 1980s when I was a student - stuff such as Paul Mason, Blossom Hill, and E & J Gallo.

None of the good wine merchants that I know stock any wines at all from the US, although I am reliably informed that some good wines are produced in California (and Oregon).

This is not simply Old World snobbery: the wine merchants I know will stock good wines from New World countries such as Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, but rarely, if ever, from the US.

Supermarkets will stock some US wines (far less than thirty or forty years ago), but these are not what would be classed as "fine wines".

The "American style" of red wine producing (over-oaked, too "fruity", and excessively-alcoholic - with global warming, alcohol levels even in old French vineyards are increasing) does not, in general, appeal to European palates, - the thought of those pesticides don't really help matters, either - while the excessive influence of a number of wine critics in the US (Robert Parker comes to mind) is deplored in Europe. No single individual could wield such influence on European markets, and nor would it be considered acceptable.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Italian the other night.

747b18334d854cf9d68557fc5367bf9b.jpg

My wife makes EXCELLENT home made wine from the blackberries and green grapes that I pick. She uses a little Vodka and some sugar, and we let it ferment in our garage, usually for more than a year or two. It is basically natural, and I like MUCH better than anything we have tasted, both from the vineyards in France and Italy, and from any restaurant.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I’m just an amateur. My favorites are Montrachet & Meursault from France. This one is pretty good but far from these I mentioned. I would say it is almond butterish. For me the color must be gold then I know it’s a good one.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m just an amateur. My favorites are Montrachet & Meursault from France. This one is pretty good but far from these I mentioned. I would say it is almond butterish. For me the color must be gold then I know it’s a good one.

Meursault?

My own very favourite wine, ever.

And I am more than partial to Montrachet, as well; while I really like a good Riesling from Alsace, white Burgundies are my favourite wines.

May I salute your taste.

Reactions: gigatoaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.