Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks. I’m French so I’m biased. But I found a good one from Cali and another one from South Africa called l’Avenir...all good. But nothing can top a Meursault ?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks. I’m French so I’m biased. But I found a good one from Cali and another one from South Africa called l’Avenir...all good. But nothing can top a Meursault ?

Well, there is a reason that some of the best wines are thought to come from France.

Actually, I use to drink red wines almost exclusively, and I had long tired of bloated, over-oaked New World Chardonnays, and thin, insipid Pinot Grigios, and far preferred, rich, smooth reds (Chateauneuf-du-Pape, or Ripasso style wines).

Then, six years ago, I had an epiphany.

A friend who is a wine merchant invited me to a private wine tasting of some of the very good wines he kept, so that I could experience for myself what they were like. Among them was a Meursault, and, for the first time in my life, I knew I had consumed a white wine that easily matched the very best of the reds for quality.

Since then, I found that I was consuming more white wine - especially white wines from Burgundy, which have become my personal favourites.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Yes!! I felt that soup when I discovered Meursault. Since then I drink mostly white. I find it more sophisticated in taste and pleasure. Although from time to time I don’t mind a Pomerol.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes!! I felt that soup when I discovered Meursault. Since then I drink mostly white. I find it more sophisticated in taste and pleasure. Although from time to time I don’t mind a Pomerol.

Agree re Pomerol.

Agree, too, re drinking mostly white wines (and, as often as my wallet allows, that means white Burgundies, or Rieslings from Alsace).

Until 2013, I drank red almost exclusively; now, I would estimate that well over 80% of what I consume is white wine. And, in recent years, my palate tends to prefer - or, has come to prefer - Old World wines.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Having some brandy to soothe an irritated throat. We've had hellish summer like heat for the last few days, and today it's awfully cool and tomorrow and the next day it shall rain.

Doing a wine run later this week to pick up mixed crates of some wine order and holds I made not long ago for the holidays.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having some brandy to soothe an irritated throat. We've had hellish summer like heat for the last few days, and today it's awfully cool and tomorrow and the next day it shall rain.

Doing a wine run later this week to pick up mixed crates of some wine order and holds I made not long ago for the holidays.

Anything interesting to be found in the mixed crates?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Anything interesting to be found in the mixed crates?
I'm a little lazy to find the order sheet, but it's a mix of whites and reds. South American, European, Oceania and a few North American. Hate to admit it, but my first thought of the Chilean protests were, "Will there be a wine shortage?"

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm waiting for crates of Rielsing (preferably from Alsace) myself; for some strange, inexplicable reason, they seem unusually hard to lay hands on......
If you're not humoring me, then I'm not surprised. There's some artificial shortage going on. I wasn't paying particular attention to what the wine monger's assistant was telling me and a few others who were ordering. There's a few Riesling style wines made outside of the typical areas including a few American ones that are quite nice. Unfortunately, they've been sold out for weeks due to said shortages.

Clearly what they must do is sell barrels directly to people who can put an "IV" drip into their gullets!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Doing this, er, or attempting this in Charlotte (they have a pretty booming brewery scene) this coming week for Thanksgiving:

1574632759330.png

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Get them while you can... The last batch "ever" of CBS is out and about. Was able to snag two bombers of it. Also picked up a four pack of KBS.

I don't know if you have been watching the news about Founders, there is a lawsuit that came down against them and there were some pretty down right awful things that were taking place at Founders. Reading some of the beer blogs, there seems to be some backlash brewing against them right now. Combine the selling to another company and then the lawsuit... yikes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Get them while you can... The last batch "ever" of CBS is out and about. Was able to snag two bombers of it. Also picked up a four pack of KBS.

I don't know if you have been watching the news about Founders, there is a lawsuit that came down against them and there were some pretty down right awful things that were taking place at Founders. Reading some of the beer blogs, there seems to be some backlash brewing against them right now. Combine the selling to another company and then the lawsuit... yikes.

Last batch ever of CBS?

This is one of the most amazing - and superlatively excellent - beers ever made, in my humble opinion; I must hurry up and place - or score - some orders.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I can only go by what I have read, but it sounds like the brewmaster wants to move along with the series..

https://www.brewbound.com/news/foun...anadian-breakfast-stout-cbs-for-the-last-time

https://beveragedynamics.com/2019/08/28/founders-announces-final-release-of-cbs/

“This will be the last year I plan on making CBS, so get it while you can,” said Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “Our barrel program has grown a lot since the first time we released CBS, so it’s been fun seeing an entire new audience become introduced to CBS over the past couple of years. It’ll be missed in 2020, but I’m looking forward to bringing out some new barrel-aged releases.”

Both links have the same quote...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can only go by what I have read, but it sounds like the brewmaster wants to move along with the series..

https://www.brewbound.com/news/foun...anadian-breakfast-stout-cbs-for-the-last-time

https://beveragedynamics.com/2019/08/28/founders-announces-final-release-of-cbs/

Both links have the same quote...

Ah, thank you.

I must investigate further, and see what the people I know who work in the trade have to say.

If true, this would be most unfortunate, as it is an excellent beer, one of my own all time personal favourites, and a beer that I would miss considerably; actually, to my mind, CBS is even better than KBS, which itself is an excellent beer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.