Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I've been looking a lot at speculation regarding this year's iPad line-up, and one story that particularly caught my interest was that Apple were considering putting out bigger iPads, specifically 14-inch and 16-inch models. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen in the next refresh, but it got me thinking that in the long term it might be a possibility for the Pro line, especially considering that a 13-inch iPad Air (with upgrades that further bridge the gap between the Air and the Pro) is looking likely. A 15-inch model would definitely make the Pro line stand out, and would satisfy the needs of the users who wanted a specced up iPad and willing to pay big for it. It would also make the iPad lineup look a lot more like the MacBook lineup, with flexible size ranges for both the Air and the Pro lines, but the biggest size exclusively available in the Pro.

Would you pay extra for an iPad this size? Or would such a size be unwieldy for a tablet, and not worth it at any price range?

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Nah, too big for me. I may even go Back to an 11” tablet which is nicer for traveling.

But we’ll see - I’m still more than happy with my almost 3 year old M1 model. Unless there are significant changes will keep it for a while longer.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I've been looking a lot at speculation regarding this year's iPad line-up, and one story that particularly caught my interest was that Apple were considering putting out bigger iPads, specifically 14-inch and 16-inch models. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen in the next refresh, but it got me thinking that in the long term it might be a possibility for the Pro line, especially considering that a 13-inch iPad Air (with upgrades that further bridge the gap between the Air and the Pro) is looking likely. A 15-inch model would definitely make the Pro line stand out, and would satisfy the needs of the users who wanted a specced up iPad and willing to pay big for it. It would also make the iPad lineup look a lot more like the MacBook lineup, with flexible size ranges for both the Air and the Pro lines, but the biggest size exclusively available in the Pro.

Would you pay extra for an iPad this size? Or would such a size be unwieldy for a tablet, and not worth it at any price range?

I would pay more if I wanted one, not sure I want one. And I have just about every size iPad there is already. I have a 12.9 pro, an 11 inch pro, and a mini. I use the mini the most, it's great for content consumption while reclining. The 11 inch is what I travel with if I dont need a second monitor because its a good combination of manageable and screen size for movies The 12.9... largely goes used as a second monitor while traveling if I need one, otherwise it stays home. It's just too big for me to hold comfortably. I got it originally because I thought I would use it with iPad Lightroom for editing photos, but I prefer the workflow of my computer.

long way of saying, for content consumption I would find the 15 way too big for how I used them. And since I dont use them for content creation (drawing for example), then ... yeah, too big for me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I would absolutely buy it. This would not be a replacement for a standard iPad for almost anyone.
This would be an additional device. Just like some people like to have a mini and 12.9, or some enthustiasts like me like having all the sizes (in my case mini 5, 11" pro and 12.9" pro). Same with Samsung, I have the 11", 12.4" and 14.6" (of different generations, S7, S8 and S9 as I don't buy them all at the same time). I paid over $1400 for the S8 ultra 16GB RAM version, and I'd pay more for a 15in iPad with an even better aspect ratio.

The larger tablets are not used for the same things as the smaller. They are great for wide ratio movies but also as external monitors (there is virtually no such thing in the market as a wireless, battery powered, touch and pen enabled external monitor, with great speakers). And that's very useful for work too. No need for MacOS or Windows.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I’m holding out to see if the 12.9” Air rumor comes true, and that would be the largest tablet I could see myself buying at this point in my life.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Absolutely not. But I would consider a folding iPad that provided around 12" of viewable space....

My iPad and laptops have very clear use cases (to me).

R

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
For home (games, movies, etc), yes 15 inch-16 inch would be better.

For work? Not sure. the 12.9 is a good compromise between screen size and portability (like carrying it between lecture halls and flights).

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Yeah for home it would work, but anywhere else you're getting to the 'i would be far more roductive carrying a laptop, and I'm not going to carry both a laptop and a big-ass iPad' size. The 12.9 is on the absolute edge of that happening.

It just depends how many of us Apple thinks there are who buy multiple iPad Pros and keep them segregated to home/work use, i guess.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My 12.9 pro is already segregated at home, except for long (1 week at least) trips. My 11" pro is the one that follows me outside my home. 15" would definitely stay home. But I also work from home most of the time...

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
The other potential problem (tho maybe not with M3 and OLED, though then issues of brightness ofc) is battery life. I find my 12.9 M1 Pros pretty inadequate for example for anything but in-home use, and even then if I couldn't just walk to another one and pick that up to carry on where I left off, it would be kind of a disaster. Worse runtime than the M1 Pro would be a major problem.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
No. Im waiting for 24” iPad Pro Max.
You are perhaps sarcastic but as a true desktop iPad? Very interesting. There are plenty of people who live their digital life in the cloud and accept web versions of Onedrive and iCloud. The same people were raised with iPhone in their hands so they would feel at home. As my daughter of 23 noted a few years ago about a teacher "He is a little bit old fashioned, he uses a Mac":)

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
You are perhaps sarcastic but as a true desktop iPad? Very interesting. There are plenty of people who live their digital life in the cloud and accept web versions of Onedrive and iCloud. The same people were raised with iPhone in their hands so they would feel at home. As my daughter of 23 noted a few years ago about a teacher "He is a little bit old fashioned, he uses a Mac":)
No sarcasm here, replacement desktop usage was behind that post.
I would mount it inside the table in the living room. ;)

Reactions: iPadified

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve had a 12.9 for over a year and been satisfied but yesterday I picked up a Mini 6 for a portable work machine.

Now I’m torn. I love the small and lightweight Mini and it does what I need, but every so often I read sheet music for which the 12.9 is a must.

And using the Mini for a little bit makes the 12.9 feel absolutely massive. I personally wouldn’t want to go any bigger.

A 12.9 Air would probably be perfect so I don’t have to shell out all that dough when the screen size is the only feature I really need.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
with the current state of iPadOS, for me the maximum is 12 inch...anything more changes it to a keyboard/trackpad &desk device rather than a handheld touch device. I would rather use a MacBook Air for those purposes.
but if by some miracle iPadOS becomes highly effective, I dont mean it become macOS, but really effective from a productivity point of view just as iPadOS I would consider.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Since batteries are not replaceable and you don’t have control on how the iPad is being charged, I’m not buying an other iPad.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Since batteries are not replaceable and you don’t have control on how the iPad is being charged, I’m not buying an other iPad.

As long as Apple can handle battery service outside warranty for a reasonable amount of money, a not user replaceable battery is no concern of mine.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I realized I need a keyboard when using the iPad. It’s already top heavy with the 12.9, I can’t imagine how they are going to balance/counter-weight a 15” iPad. Sucker’s going to be heavy to carry around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.