Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysticmanix

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
"A Netflix/Youtube device," he says. LOL! Aren't you forgetting that everyone has their own individual needs and use cases? I get MAJOR use out of my 12.9 iPad Pro. As a musician, the large screen makes the piano keyboard in Logic Pro decently playable, and sheet music displays ideally in portrait orientation on the large screen (try THAT on a laptop). I enjoy editing videos in LumaFusion and am now learning Final Cut Pro for iPad. Apple pencil enhances marking up and signing PDFs as well as editing photos. Note: none of the above are "consumption" activities, but I do those (watching videos, reading magazines) as well.

For me, iPad Pro is a wonderful, versatile and lightweight device (I only attach a keyboard for extended writing sessions, otherwise the virtual keyboard is fine). Yes, I have a 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro for big-dog jobs at home and client offices. But for travel and coffee shops (and couch), the slim and light iPad Pro is what I reach for.
Yes, here comes the "but I use it for" blah blah blah. Yes, I don't live your life and never purported to, but shipments don't lie. Most people have an iPhone and a Windows laptop, that's it. If they need an iPad to babysit their kids, they do that or buy an Amazon tablet for cheap to do that. But ipads sell even less than Macs.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Yes, here comes the "but I use it for" blah blah blah. Yes, I don't live your life and never purported to, but shipments don't lie. Most people have an iPhone and a Windows laptop, that's it. If they need an iPad to babysit their kids, they do that or buy an Amazon tablet for cheap to do that. But ipads sell even less than Macs.
So a device is only relevant if it has enough market share?

And if we are talking tablet market share...then iPad kicks the bajeezus out of every other tablet.

And that is without even releasing a new iPad in 2023...I guess I don't understand your point here?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

And here comes the iPad is just a toy or just a big phone blah blah blah. Sure, phone sales, etc. are larger but the iPad line brought in $28B for Apple last year, no small amount of revenue.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
1. Provide your numbers-source for your claim about what "most people have."
2. iPads selling less than Macs does not indicate a failed on unpopular product, they are not the same. Although Apple's picing of the Pro models similarly to Macs makes people see them as equivalent, with some choosing a MacBook Air instead.
3. Taking this personally? My defending the iPad's usefulness is no attack on you. There are plenty of people who see iPad through the Mac/PC lens, and when it doesn't fit that paradigm they decide it's worthless. Meanwhile the rest of us are fascinated and intrigued by what this novel and ever-changing device can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
The software sucks too bad to use as a tablet only with that big of display. I have the 12.9” and I am looking to go 11” when they put OLED in it.

I still wish it had MacOS in dual boot type of mode. The iPad is so powerful but limited to consumption only by Apple choosing to not permit any real use. Apple is ruining the Vision Pro in the same ways all ready.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The software sucks too bad to use as a tablet only with that big of display. I have the 12.9” and I am looking to go 11” when they put OLED in it.

I still wish it had MacOS in dual boot type of mode. The iPad is so powerful but limited to consumption only by Apple choosing to not permit any real use. Apple is ruining the Vision Pro in the same ways all ready.

A lot of people have found uses beyond consumption only; the iPad is not limited to that for everyone but for some users it just may not suit their needs.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
A lot of people have found uses beyond consumption only; the iPad is not limited to that for everyone but for some users it just may not suit their needs.
I think it’s best at consumption. Can it do some other things, sure the Apple Pencil helps with that for some things. But in reality, it’s just not as good as a Mac at creating most things or doing work even like typing.

I want the 11” to read books primarily. The 12.9” is a bit big for books. It’s great for watching videos, and good for taking notes with an Apple Pencil, but still I am better typing on a MacBook than anywhere.

And for mobility the iPhone destroys the iPad. They tried to add a category and it sort of works but it’s just not better at anything than consumption for me. And once I add the Magic Keyboard, I rather have a Mac.

There are certainly other use cases, but for me I want 11” iPad for consumption first of books/reading. I use my iPhone for most things on the go. I use my Macs for work. That’s just me.

Now if I had a 15” iPad that ran MacOS and iPadOS at the same time, that would be a killer that would make me eliminate the MacBook potentially but then I still wouldn’t have the 11” to read which I like. I bought the iPad mini but the jelly scrolling was so bad on it that reading became a sickening experience literally.

• Love

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
One more thing, I would prefer one device that does everything rather than an ecosystem of devices that work together. That’s the AAPL key. They used to be willing to cannibalize products with new products but they’re just not into that anymore. They want more money and more ecosystem so Tim and the top 1% of investors can make more money. Where AAPL is going is really not a good place - I prefer see them develop one device that does everything. Think a Vision Pro and iPhone in one and the Vision Pro becomes a pair of contact lenses and we just get everything connected wirelessly over time. Or most people can’t think of contact lenses but rather glasses that do the job. I think that’s 10-15 years out at current pacing of technology.

Whichever company can make one product that does everything better wins. It’s not open vs closed like Zuck thinks. It’s one device that does it all better than we can with six devices in an ecosystem.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think it’s best at consumption. Can it do some other things, sure the Apple Pencil helps with that for some things. But in reality, it’s just not as good as a Mac at creating most things or doing work even like typing.

I want the 11” to read books primarily. The 12.9” is a bit big for books. It’s great for watching videos, and good for taking notes with an Apple Pencil, but still I am better typing on a MacBook than anywhere.

And for mobility the iPhone destroys the iPad. They tried to add a category and it sort of works but it’s just not better at anything than consumption for me. And once I add the Magic Keyboard, I rather have a Mac.

There are certainly other use cases, but for me I want 11” iPad for consumption first of books/reading. I use my iPhone for most things on the go. I use my Macs for work. That’s just me.

Now if I had a 15” iPad that ran MacOS and iPadOS at the same time, that would be a killer that would make me eliminate the MacBook potentially but then I still wouldn’t have the 11” to read which I like. I bought the iPad mini but the jelly scrolling was so bad on it that reading became a sickening experience literally.

Again, you're just describing your experience. I happen to like my 12.9 for reading books and I don't notice the jelly scroll on my Mini 6 at all and prefer it for mobility over my 14 Pro Max. And there are many, many posts in this forum by users describing their experiences using the iPad for far more than just consumption.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Yes. But I lost patience and bought the Samsung Tab Ultra 15 and love it. But a 15” iPad Pro would be tempting!

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Again, you're just describing your experience. I happen to like my 12.9 for reading books and I don't notice the jelly scroll on my Mini 6 at all and prefer it for mobility over my 14 Pro Max. And there are many, many posts in this forum by users describing their experiences using the iPad for far more than just consumption.
He won't care about any of those experiences, he just wants to be right. Just another one of those people who believe that if a product isn't a fit for their personal use case, then it couldn't possibly be so for anyone else.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
And you describe your experience. That’s all we all relate to how it works for us. You can’t see jelly scrolling as perhaps your vision isn’t crisp or you’re not aware of it. Once you see it you can’t not see it.

Everyone here can be a fanboy and say Apple is the best or they can be real and share their experiences and what pros and cons they see with the potential of a larger iPad Pro when the current 12.9” has major lack of software features to allow it to be a valuable tool for me. At the end of the day, we all decide how much crap we can carry with us wherever we go. I don’t want larger I want smaller but if they open up software features I could be swayed to a larger iPad but it has to have MacOS-like functionality for me to want one.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The other potential problem (tho maybe not with M3 and OLED, though then issues of brightness ofc) is battery life. I find my 12.9 M1 Pros pretty inadequate for example for anything but in-home use, and even then if I couldn't just walk to another one and pick that up to carry on where I left off, it would be kind of a disaster. Worse runtime than the M1 Pro would be a major problem.
Bigger devices tend to have BETTER battery life… sure, the display draws more power. But, the physical size allows for a LOT bigger battery.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
2. iPads selling less than Macs does not indicate a failed on unpopular product, they are not the same.
Not so sure. In numbers of device sold (not revenue) it is estimated that iPads outsells 2:1 to Mac given its lower average price. A 15+ inch iPad Pro/Ultra would be the equivalent of a Mac Studio Ultra or a Mac Pro. For the very few.
Your are right about the Window laptop popularity but it is Android that is more popular than iPhone. Remember the Apple is an international company so look at the world market share. See above regarding sales numbers of iPad/Mac ratio.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
At this point a “bigger iPad” is like asking for a “faster horse” instead of an automobile. I’d need some PURPOSE for a bigger iPad, and for me - there just isn’t one.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
At this point a “bigger iPad” is like asking for a “faster horse” instead of an automobile. I’d need some PURPOSE for a bigger iPad, and for me - there just isn’t one.
for me, and others, there is one... faster horse does not apply to me

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I just read that as more canvas. I can relate why some appreciate more of it.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

I have, oddly, tried an experiment where I use my M1 MPB 13" like a Mac Mini. That is, I remote into it with my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" using Jump Desktop, and whenever possible I just use my iPad Pro for everything when I am out-and-about. So, Magic Keyboard iPad Pro for writing and blogging with Ulysses, DEVONthink for information gathering, Pages and Numbers for documents, Freeform for meeting notes (with pencil), Mail, Firefox, Obsidian with iCloud sync for keeping track of my world, and Affinity Photo, etc., for photo editing.

If I need to do anything crazy, I just remote into my MBP. the crazy thing is, once I quit being file-centric, and instead thought about everything from the app perspective, I am able to do everything (so far--it's been a few weeks) from the iPad and have only remoted into my Mac for a few specific reasons. Definitely something that would work long term.

So, I am definitely going to get a new iPad 12.9" (either Plus or Pro) and make this work.

(That said, if it ran MacOS as well?????? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!)

Reactions: ThailandToo

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I have, oddly, tried an experiment where I use my M1 MPB 13" like a Mac Mini. That is, I remote into it with my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" using Jump Desktop, and whenever possible I just use my iPad Pro for everything when I am out-and-about. So, Magic Keyboard iPad Pro for writing and blogging with Ulysses, DEVONthink for information gathering, Pages and Numbers for documents, Freeform for meeting notes (with pencil), Mail, Firefox, Obsidian with iCloud sync for keeping track of my world, and Affinity Photo, etc., for photo editing.

If I need to do anything crazy, I just remote into my MBP. the crazy thing is, once I quit being file-centric, and instead thought about everything from the app perspective, I am able to do everything (so far--it's been a few weeks) from the iPad and have only remoted into my Mac for a few specific reasons. Definitely something that would work long term.

So, I am definitely going to get a new iPad 12.9" (either Plus or Pro) and make this work.

(That said, if it ran MacOS as well?????? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!)
That last sentence is where I am. If I could use a large iPad to do all my MacOS work, it’s a no brainer. AAPL will deserve my money. The thing is Tim’s not allowing anything to cannibalize anything else in the product map. Otherwise, there’s no reason to not let us run MacOS on an iPad.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
That last sentence is where I am. If I could use a large iPad to do all my MacOS work, it’s a no brainer. AAPL will deserve my money. The thing is Tim’s not allowing anything to cannibalize anything else in the product map. Otherwise, there’s no reason to not let us run MacOS on an iPad.
You are right, there is not reason. The implementation of dual boot/OS is however important. iPad users range from the computer illiterate to the tech savvy so how would you not confuse the former group with dual OS?

Soon March and not a tangible rumour in sight more than those that has been around for months. A 15 inch iPad Ultra would be welcome surprise whether you need/can pay for it or not!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You are right, there is not reason. The implementation of dual boot/OS is however important. iPad users range from the computer illiterate to the tech savvy so how would you not confuse the former group with dual OS?

Soon March and not a tangible rumour in sight more than those that has been around for months. A 15 inch iPad Ultra would be welcome surprise whether you need/can pay for it or not!
All you have to do is require an extra hoop to install MacOS (perhaps as an app within iOS and then it reboots or something) and only allow it for the Pro line.

Ensuring it is Pro line only eliminates all the iPads bought for kids, school systems, entertainment, etc., Eliminating the supposed Plus models from Mac would get the easily-confused non professional types who don't know how to do it.

Heck, it could be as simple as requiring a developer account. I would happily pay for the privilege.

And let's face it, most people wouldn't want or need this. It's only those of us that are slightly crazy that want the best hardware with the best software.

Reactions: ericwn

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I've been looking a lot at speculation regarding this year's iPad line-up, and one story that particularly caught my interest was that Apple were considering putting out bigger iPads, specifically 14-inch and 16-inch models. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen in the next refresh, but it got me thinking that in the long term it might be a possibility for the Pro line, especially considering that a 13-inch iPad Air (with upgrades that further bridge the gap between the Air and the Pro) is looking likely. A 15-inch model would definitely make the Pro line stand out, and would satisfy the needs of the users who wanted a specced up iPad and willing to pay big for it. It would also make the iPad lineup look a lot more like the MacBook lineup, with flexible size ranges for both the Air and the Pro lines, but the biggest size exclusively available in the Pro.

Would you pay extra for an iPad this size? Or would such a size be unwieldy for a tablet, and not worth it at any price range?
Not for me. Maybe for some. I am looking forward to downgrade my 12.9 pro to mini when the new mini is released. I like mini size as it is very portable close to iPhone. I would love to have foldable iPhone with size of iPad mini when unfolded so I only need 1 device for both function. Keep calm and be happy with your iPad size preference 😊 life is too short to be unhappy on anything 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.