Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
with the current state of iPadOS, for me the maximum is 12 inch...anything more changes it to a keyboard/trackpad &desk device rather than a handheld touch device. I would rather use a MacBook Air for those purposes.
but if by some miracle iPadOS becomes highly effective, I dont mean it become macOS, but really effective from a productivity point of view just as iPadOS I would consider.
Why would a larger screen mean MacOS or equivalent, keyboard and trackpad? If anything, touch requires larger symbols for interactions and hence would benefit more by a larger screen.

Productivity from a keyboard and mouse (MacOS) paradigm or from touch paradigm(iPadOS)? We have a new breed of users coming up and these are less attached to the keyboard and mouse. Sure iPadOS can be much better but SoC performance has not reached plateau yet for these devices so we will see co evolvement. Reminds me of Windows Intel in the 90:th and 00.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
Why would a larger screen mean MacOS or equivalent, keyboard and trackpad? If anything, touch requires larger symbols for interactions and hence would benefit more by a larger screen.

Productivity from a keyboard and mouse (MacOS) paradigm or from touch paradigm(iPadOS)? We have a new breed of users coming up and these are less attached to the keyboard and mouse. Sure iPadOS can be much better but SoC performance has not reached plateau yet for these devices so we will see co evolvement. Reminds me of Windows Intel in the 90:th and 00.
I meant for me. I prefer to use touch devices holding in my hand.

Reactions: G5isAlive

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Highly unlikely, a lot will depend on aspect ratio, ergonomics and portability. I don’t think I’ll go out of my way buy an iPad that’s significantly wider than the current iPad 12.9” when held portrait orientation.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As long as Apple can handle battery service outside warranty for a reasonable amount of money, a not user replaceable battery is no concern of mine.
The issue is that they refuse to do it unless the battery is in terrible conditions. In my experience, to meet their standards (regarless of the percentace they claim) the battery has to have way less than half of its orginal duration (2-3 hours). By the time devices get to that level they are usually out of the battery service period....(5 years after they are no longer on the Apple website, which doesn't mean at least 5 years after purchase, since you can purchase new devices years after they are not sold by Apple in third party shops).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The issue is that they refuse to do it unless the battery is in terrible conditions. In my experience, to meet their standards (regarless of the percentace they claim) the battery has to have way less than half of its orginal duration (2-3 hours). By the time devices get to that level they are usually out of the battery service period....(5 years after they are no longer on the Apple website, which doesn't mean at least 5 years after purchase, since you can purchase new devices years after they are not sold by Apple in third party shops).

Apple states below 80% and I consider that fair. Of course they won’t have spare parts around forever regardless of what shop has stock still on the shelf but we all know that Apple products are typically vintage then considered obsolete after 5-7 years. Not that I can recall any other tablet manufacturer that has anywhere close to a similar service offering, be it via mail or retail.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple states below 80% and I consider that fair. Of course they won’t have spare parts around forever regardless of what shop has stock still on the shelf but we all know that Apple products are typically vintage then considered obsolete after 5-7 years. Not that I can recall any other tablet manufacturer that has anywhere close to a similar service offering, be it via mail or retail.
then you probably have no direct experience, you'll be very surprised when you see what their 80% means

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
11" is the sweet spot as it allows me to hold it comfortably in one hand while still being able to walk freely around the classroom (I initially bought the 12.9" iPad Pro, then returned it for the 11" model because I found the former too unwieldy). I don't see myself getting an even larger model either.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
But we’ll see - I’m still more than happy with my almost 3 year old M1 model. Unless there are significant changes will keep it for a while longer.
Same here. Pretty happy with my M1 12.9, except for one aspect: battery life, which sucks. Badly. If the forthcoming M3 Pro provides about 2 hours more I’ll definitely be a customer.

Reactions: Isengardtom

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I realized I need a keyboard when using the iPad. It’s already top heavy with the 12.9, I can’t imagine how they are going to balance/counter-weight a 15” iPad. Sucker’s going to be heavy to carry around.
You could consider Apple Smart Keyboard Folio. It’s significantly lighter than the Magic Keyboard Folio.

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
then you probably have no direct experience, you'll be very surprised when you see what their 80% means

Correct because even on my oldest iPad I can tolerate the battery life and can continue the journey on a cable in the vast majority of scenarios. I am however referring to their statement on their website and there is no reference to x amount of hours or anything like that.

Regardless, if my Air 2 finally dies one day so be it

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Correct because even on my oldest iPad I can tolerate the battery life and can continue the journey on a cable in the vast majority of scenarios. I am however referring to their statement on their website and there is no reference to x amount of hours or anything like that.

Regardless, if my Air 2 finally dies one day so be it
Just as I can do with the 3 hours battery life of my 10.5 pro, which for Apple is at 87%... much lower according to iMazing (I would have paid for the battery service but there is no way it is getting below the threshold before battery service is stopped this years... so I'll do with that)

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Same here. Pretty happy with my M1 12.9, except for one aspect: battery life, which sucks. Badly. If the forthcoming M3 Pro provides about 2 hours more I’ll definitely be a customer.
Agreed it’s not great on mine either. Especially in brighter conditions it really drains fast.

in any case my next pro will be a smaller one, as I don’t think the 12.9 is great for traveling. ill keep this one as a work companion

just not sure if the M3 is the one I’ll update to. Maybe I’ll wait another 1.5 years until M4. The expected price hike is a consideration.
if it wasn’t for « ecosystem » I may consider one of Samsung’s tablets. Something I would have never considered a few years ago.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Agreed it’s not great on mine either. Especially in brighter conditions it really drains fast.

in any case my next pro will be a smaller one, as I don’t think the 12.9 is great for traveling. ill keep this one as a work companion

just not sure if the M3 is the one I’ll update to. Maybe I’ll wait another 1.5 years until M4. The expected price hike is a consideration.
if it wasn’t for « ecosystem » I may consider one of Samsung’s tablets. Something I would have never considered a few years ago.

I want to stick with the 12.9" form factor and Pro screens but I'll wait and see what the prices on the new models with OLED look like. If Apple continues with higher and higher prices, I'll also consider returning to Samsung tablets with my next update.

lucien.dol

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
It'll be different for everyone, but I stopped using my 12.9" iPad Pro a while ago and went back to a 10.9" iPad Air (with the 11" iPad Pro giving more or less the same experience - for a higher price) and am very happy with it. The problem with tablets of 12.9" or bigger is that they become too heavy and too big to hold in your hands - at which stage you'd be using it as a "dumbed-down" laptop that usually sits on a table. No offence - the iPad is a great device, but a touch-screen tablet should be easy to carry around and comfortable to hold in your hands, in my humble opinion. The smaller iPads are perfect in that respect and I use my MacBook Pro for all more serious tasks - far more versatile and powerful.

(Plus my OCD-self just hates fingerprints on touch screens...)

Reactions: geta

mysticmanix

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
If they put macOS or some desktop-like capable OS on it then yes. As it is, I find my 11 inch ipad pro too big and only use it for watching NBA games while I'm cycling now, while my 6th gen ipad mini can do all the tablet things. Using the virtual keyboard is awful in every respect on the 10+ inch ipads, as it's just too big, but most importantly, unless you draw, the ipad is essentially a Netflix/Youtube device. There's nothing I would want to do on it that I wouldn't immensely prefer to do on my Macbook Air 15 instead, or even my phone.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
If they put macOS or some desktop-like capable OS on it then yes. As it is, I find my 11 inch ipad pro too big and only use it for watching NBA games while I'm cycling now, while my 6th gen ipad mini can do all the tablet things. Using the virtual keyboard is awful in every respect on the 10+ inch ipads, as it's just too big, but most importantly, unless you draw, the ipad is essentially a Netflix/Youtube device. There's nothing I would want to do on it that I wouldn't immensely prefer to do on my Macbook Air 15 instead, or even my phone.
"A Netflix/Youtube device," he says. LOL! Aren't you forgetting that everyone has their own individual needs and use cases? I get MAJOR use out of my 12.9 iPad Pro. As a musician, the large screen makes the piano keyboard in Logic Pro decently playable, and sheet music displays ideally in portrait orientation on the large screen (try THAT on a laptop). I enjoy editing videos in LumaFusion and am now learning Final Cut Pro for iPad. Apple pencil enhances marking up and signing PDFs as well as editing photos. Note: none of the above are "consumption" activities, but I do those (watching videos, reading magazines) as well.

For me, iPad Pro is a wonderful, versatile and lightweight device (I only attach a keyboard for extended writing sessions, otherwise the virtual keyboard is fine). Yes, I have a 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro for big-dog jobs at home and client offices. But for travel and coffee shops (and couch), the slim and light iPad Pro is what I reach for.

Last edited:

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
No. The iPad needs to be easy to handle, meaning transportable and a reasonable weight. Additionally OS is a signficant inhibitor to taking advantage of a larger screen.

I have both the 11” and 12.9” and the 11” gets far more use due its reasonable size and weight. I must say I cannot really see the point of a larger iPad. A number of my friends with the larger iPad end up buying stands etc to use them which, to me, negates the purpose of the iPad.

Reactions: akash.nu

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Many people didn't see the point of a 12.9 before it came and even today cannot understand how some peopel can use a 12.9... Others love the 12.9 or use more than one size. Many love the 14.6 ultra tablet from Samsung (me included). Not necessarily as their only tablet but for some use cases, including as a portable (battery powered wireless, touch and pen enabled) monitor. But people will keep looking at things from their point of view and keep not understanding how it's even possible that others could be different...

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I would have to see the full package of hardware and software involved. Still, I haven't ever really thought my 12.9" was too small. I mean maybe if it was a different form factor--more like 16:9 for media and two apps side-by-side? And if it ran MacOS and iPadOS?

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Maybe if the next version of iPadOS has features that really take advantage of the larger screen? I kind of doubt it though, these days it seems like even the larger iPad Pro is ever so slightly too large.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have never gone above 13” for laptops because they feel too large as a portable device and if I need a screen that size I’d prefer to plug into a something bigger. So I’d have to assume the same for an iPad.

Then again I thought 12.9” was too big until I got one.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Maybe if the next version of iPadOS has features that really take advantage of the larger screen? I kind of doubt it though, these days it seems like even the larger iPad Pro is ever so slightly too large.
What has the OS got to do with the screen size? I live my life in apps and plenty would benefit with a larger screen. There is a reason people want large screens for work as well as pleasure. Large screens just looks better and are more efficient for word processing, spread sheets, video editors, photo editing, music apps, 3D modeling and cad, games, movies, streaming sports and comic books. What is less dependent on screen size is the web, social media and books.

Reactions: Digitalguy

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Many people didn't see the point of a 12.9 before it came and even today cannot understand how some peopel can use a 12.9... Others love the 12.9 or use more than one size. Many love the 14.6 ultra tablet from Samsung (me included). Not necessarily as their only tablet but for some use cases, including as a portable (battery powered wireless, touch and pen enabled) monitor. But people will keep looking at things from their point of view and keep not understanding how it's even possible that others could be different...
I tried the Samsung S9 ultra yesterday in the store and I really liked the size. Personally wouldn't get an Android tablet but I definitely see the appeal, if they made an iPad that size I would give it a good look.

Reactions: Digitalguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.