Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I would certainly buy a 15" iPad Air. I might buy a 15" iPad Pro, but I'd hesitate, as I'd be paying for expensive features I don't care about.

I use my 2018 12.9" iPad pro as a virtual whiteboard for teaching; a larger screen would help make it easier to write legibly.

Reactions: iPadified

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I would not. The 13" iPad Pro is right at the edge of being too unwieldy for a handheld tablet, and if there was a 15" version it would almost certainly always be used in 'laptop mode.' At that point I'd rather just have a 15" MBP.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I wouldn’t. The difference between the 11in pro and 12.9in pro is massive in the weight category. The 12.9 is unwieldly, that’s why I keep that one at home on a desk. My 11in follows me everywhere. It doesn’t seem like there should be THAT much difference in weight but there is. I couldn’t imagine tacking on 2 more diagonal inches. A drop from just 1 foot, not meter, would spell total disaster. And the price tag?!?! Simply toooo big in my opinion. Im sure there’ll be some niche use cases but I believe it will be tiny. Can’t even hold that thing on a sofa or in bed without doing cardio with the projected added weight. Plausible though if Apple was able to shave significant weight off of it and keeping it inline with existing 12.9in’s weight.

• Haha
Reactions: cflem

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Simply toooo big in my opinion. Im sure there’ll be some niche use cases but I believe it will be tiny.
Reminds me of reaction to when the 12.9 was introduced. Now we soon have two product lines with 12.9-ish screens.

Pro is for work, a 15-inch would be great for drawing, online teaching, music production, and for those who like the iPad over Macs, photo, video editing and CAD. Loose the keyboard thinking or else go Macs.

So yes a 15 inch Ultra would be nice but not this year!

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
As a portable device that you can comfortably hold in one hand, a 15” iPad would be terrible. But if someone needs a huge tablet on their desk as part of their job, it can work.

• Haha

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
It depends on the price, the features and most importantly the OSX. If it's still the basic iPad OS then no way. The M chips are wasted on the current iPad OS.

I agree with your assessment. The 12.9" is fine for iPad-centric activity, but I still use my Macbook more - even though I love the idea of only using the iPad as my laptop. Simple things like the browsers used on iPad OS - still not fully compatible with the Mac OS versions. The trackpad and keyboard on the Magic Keyboard is no where near as comfortable as the Macbook ... the list goes on.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yes, time to loose the idea that iPad is only for holding as SJ did at the introduction of iPad.
So true, people cannot realize that not everyone uses the iPad as Jobs intented. I have multiple iPads (several pro and mini) and multiple Samsung tablets and I use none of them as Jobs intended. I use no device on a couch (I don't sit on my couch unless I have guests and never with a tablet). And that does not mean I use them only as laptops either, most of the time they are not used with a keyboard.
I use them as documents viewers, as annotation devices (most of the time not holding them), as second monitors, as security cameras, as music players, as paper replacement, as portable TVs around the house (stopped using a real TV years ago), with stands in each room. This allows me to do other things while watching (eating, dishes, shaving etc.). Most of the time they sit on a stand (whether it's a real stand, a smart cover, a magic keyboard or a kickstand), I write on them on a stand and I hold them only the time necessary to move them from a room to another...

Reactions: iPadified
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.