Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I've been looking a lot at speculation regarding this year's iPad line-up, and one story that particularly caught my interest was that Apple were considering putting out bigger iPads, specifically 14-inch and 16-inch models. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen in the next refresh, but it got me thinking that in the long term it might be a possibility for the Pro line, especially considering that a 13-inch iPad Air (with upgrades that further bridge the gap between the Air and the Pro) is looking likely. A 15-inch model would definitely make the Pro line stand out, and would satisfy the needs of the users who wanted a specced up iPad and willing to pay big for it. It would also make the iPad lineup look a lot more like the MacBook lineup, with flexible size ranges for both the Air and the Pro lines, but the biggest size exclusively available in the Pro.

Would you pay extra for an iPad this size? Or would such a size be unwieldy for a tablet, and not worth it at any price range?

Considering just how much Apple would charge for it and how restrictive its OS is absolutely not! A Mac is far better value I think.

Reactions: Rafterman

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
For all the people saying that you'd never buy it as long as it runs iPad OS, I'm genuinely curious, what are you doing on the iPad forum?

Also, is it really a different OS that you want, or is it just the capability to run desktop apps?

Reactions: G5isAlive

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I think when iPads can run MacOs, Apple will announce a 15” iPad Pro. But right now, 12.9” or the upcoming rumored 13” OLED iPad Pro is more than enough For most iPad users. I think many professional artists who use the Apple Pencil might enjoy a 15” iPad Pro for drawing on tho. So who knows.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I mean it has the Files app, which isn't perfect but it's miles better than not having one at all, like before iOS 9
On a computer there’s some commonality in file operations through the use of Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows) that adds consistency to workflows that increases productivity. On iOS the introduction of Files came later but share sheets and sandboxing remains for security reasons. Some apps continue to not support connections to Files, adding to inconsistent experiences on the platform. The end result is a setup that adds friction to workflows that some of us simply do not want to deal with. Productive tasks can surely be done on the platform but for those who have no intention of fully replacing an already productive workflow with another one but rather would like to supplement workflows to gain productivity, the friction involved can be a turnoff.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
On a computer there’s some commonality in file operations through the use of Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows) that adds consistency to workflows that increases productivity.
Evidence by an unbiased test?

In the early Windows days, to open an app it was "Files", "Open" from menus within that app. That was standardised throughout all apps. That is how iPadOS/iOS works. Is this less efficient or a matter of "geography" where you retrieve your files. At any rate I am confounded that people use so much time with files managements. Open a file takes between 5-20 seconds and then at least I work with the files for >1h if not longer.

You have point the iPadOS is restricted due to sandboxing.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Evidence by an unbiased test?

In the early Windows days, to open an app it was "Files", "Open" from menus within that app. That was standardised throughout all apps. That is how iPadOS/iOS works. Is this less efficient or a matter of "geography" where you retrieve your files. At any rate I am confounded that people use so much time with files managements. Open a file takes between 5-20 seconds and then at least I work with the files for >1h if not longer.

You have point the iPadOS is restricted due to sandboxing.

The thing about your request for a test is that bias has everything to do with our individual preferences for our workflows. We're all different and not only do we manage files differently but we each manage a different volume and do different things with them.

Agree with you that desktop operating systems have come a long way too. I for one have a fond appreciation for the flexibility of drag and drop operations in a desktop environment, which wasn't always possible in the early days. I've come to take drag and drop functionality for granted in my daily life in fact.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It really is interesting. All I had to do to be able to switch to mostly using an iPad Pro away from my mac is go from file-centric to app-centric. That one change and I have been able to do 99% of everything I wish. The 1% is like terminal stuff and when I need full desktop functionality in an app.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
It really is interesting. All I had to do to be able to switch to mostly using an iPad Pro away from my mac is go from file-centric to app-centric. That one change and I have been able to do 99% of everything I wish. The 1% is like terminal stuff and when I need full desktop functionality in an app.
This is why it’s best to treat iPad as a new way of computing, rather than trying to replicate your PC habits on a mobile platform.
For me the Files app functions as an interface between macOS (which is not app-centric) and iPadOS (which is).

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It depends on how you use it. If you want a laptop, then yes, 15 or 12.9 are good. If you want it portable, 11 is a nice balance between small size and power. If you're a 50/50 person, it comes down to choice, though I still prefer the 11, because a 15 would have little portability. Size and weight will make it hard to hold for long periods. Even the 12.9 is bordrline.

Reactions: G5isAlive

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
It depends on how you use it. If you want a laptop, then yes, 15 or 12.9 are good. If you want it portable, 11 is a nice balance between small size and power. If you're a 50/50 person, it comes down to choice, though I still prefer the 11, because a 15 would have little portability. Size and weight will make it hard to hold for long periods. Even the 12.9 is bordrline.
I think you need to define portability. Laptops are portable means that they can be carried from point A to point B, that is to carry the workplace with you. A >15 inch iPad will be portable in a similar way. Portable as holding it suspended in air with one or two hands, I would draw the line at iPad mini or an iPhone. You will find that any device held up without support like Steve jobs did in the Keynote for >30 minutes will be tiresome as will your empty hands in a similar position. A >15 inch device is for hours of interactions (for work or pleasure) so a desk/coffee table, stand, magic key board, underarm, knees, thighs etc will be needed.

crimson avenger

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
I use my current iPad Pro as a laptop replacement, and have so for years. I will be in the market for the upcoming iPad Pro as I’ve had this one for > 4 years. I would welcome a bit more screen space…

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think you need to define portability. Laptops are portable means that they can be carried from point A to point B, that is to carry the workplace with you. A >15 inch iPad will be portable in a similar way. Portable as holding it suspended in air with one or two hands, I would draw the line at iPad mini or an iPhone. You will find that any device held up without support like Steve jobs did in the Keynote for >30 minutes will be tiresome as will your empty hands in a similar position. A >15 inch device is for hours of interactions (for work or pleasure) so a desk/coffee table, stand, magic key board, underarm, knees, thighs etc will be needed.

Portablility meaning holding it and using it as a tablet.

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
Also, is it really a different OS that you want, or is it just the capability to run desktop apps?
I don't necessarily want macOS on an iPad, but if that's what's required to fix the (IMO) deficiencies, then sure, or at least allow running macOS apps in some sort of compatibility mode. iPad apps have a lot of paper cuts when you try to use it as a laptop replacement. Things are designed around touch and often have iOS in mind, including (relatively) slow animations which just feel laggy when you use keyboard and trackpad and move faster than the app expects, missing features here and there, odd OS things like only 60 Hz display output, Safari is better than it used to be but still has some odd bugs not present in the macOS version.
In other words, the "desktop-class" apps are still not desktop-class or properly taking into account keyboard. For example, the "stepper" cell data type in Numbers can't be typed into on iPad, but you can on macOS. You have to click/tap the up/down arrows. Even things like if you request a data download from Apple, it won't let you download it on iPad, only Mac/PC. Even though iPad can handle ZIP files, CSV, etc. An iPad can do ~90% of what I need, but the last 10% is like running headfirst through a thorn bush.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Currently with a 10.9” iPad Air 4 paired with a keyboard folio and loving the portability.

But I’ll likely at some point move up to the rumoured 13” iPad Air as I’m using my Pencil a lot more lately.

And with the coming price hike for a 13” OLED iPad Pro, I know I won’t be able to afford a 15” one.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sure it’s better then nothing, but it's sooo useless that I hardly ever use it… :confused:
Then find another one. That’s the point of having an app centric OS… you can use apps to replace the default ones that doesn’t live up to your standards. Some folks use Bear or Notion to replace the default Notes app.

I use File Browser Professional for file management… I find it more versatile than the Files app, unless users are doing some system level tweaks to their devices. I don’t see how file management is such a detriment with using iPadOS.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Then find another one. That’s the point of having an app centric OS… you can use apps to replace the default ones that doesn’t live up to your standards. Some folks use Bear or Notion to replace the default Notes app.

I use File Browser Professional for file management… I find it more versatile than the Files app, unless users are doing some system level tweaks to their devices. I don’t see how file management is such a detriment with using iPadOS.
Im using Documents instead that i like more. ;)

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I don't necessarily want macOS on an iPad, but if that's what's required to fix the (IMO) deficiencies, then sure, or at least allow running macOS apps in some sort of compatibility mode. iPad apps have a lot of paper cuts when you try to use it as a laptop replacement. Things are designed around touch and often have iOS in mind, including (relatively) slow animations which just feel laggy when you use keyboard and trackpad and move faster than the app expects, missing features here and there, odd OS things like only 60 Hz display output, Safari is better than it used to be but still has some odd bugs not present in the macOS version.
In other words, the "desktop-class" apps are still not desktop-class or properly taking into account keyboard. For example, the "stepper" cell data type in Numbers can't be typed into on iPad, but you can on macOS. You have to click/tap the up/down arrows. Even things like if you request a data download from Apple, it won't let you download it on iPad, only Mac/PC. Even though iPad can handle ZIP files, CSV, etc. An iPad can do ~90% of what I need, but the last 10% is like running headfirst through a thorn bush.
Apps are the problem, but I do not think iPadOS is the limitation while app developers are. Also, there is misconception in the community that an app should be free or cost a few dollars. There is no reason for watered down Office for instance but it will cost you and people does not seem to be willing to pay. I would say hardware is there, iPadOS likely handles most app demands while apps are still at iPhone stage in terms of complexity.

I agree there are som strange and not consistent limitation to downloads to iPad. Fixable - sure. On the other hand, I have experienced web pages that are only working with iPadOS Safari but not with MacOS Safari.

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
Apps are the problem, but I do not think iPadOS is the limitation while app developers are.
I would say hardware is there, iPadOS likely handles most app demands while apps are still at iPhone stage in terms of complexity.
I agree. There's even virtual swap memory for the past couple OS. That's why I'd be happy with some sort of compatibility mode to run macOS apps. Stage Manager isn't perfect but it's in a good spot since last update, so it's just apps holding it back.
Also, there is misconception in the community that an app should be free or cost a few dollars.
It's interesting because sometimes this results in cheaper prices for games. Stardew Valley is $5 on iOS but $15 on all other platforms. Dead Cells is $9 for the base game and $28 once you buy all DLC versus $25 for the base game and $40 including all DLC on all other platforms. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is cheaper on iPad ($13) than Mac ($18), even though it had to add touch screen controls in addition to porting to Metal, which is even cheaper still than other platforms (~$45). I'm surprised that Resident Evil 4 remake is selling for the full $60, but that's a universal purchase so includes Mac.
But that also means lots of software isn't ported or developed, because people seem to expect apps to be <$5 even though that's basically giving software away for free if it's a one-time purchase.

Reactions: iPadified
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.