Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
I too prefer Android's navigation to iOS' free maps app. Maybe one day Siri will evolve into voice navigation for free and the iPhone will catch up to Android in that area. For everything else, though, I prefer iOS.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I remember a scene in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol where a rich debonair had a tray full of cell phones served to him like a cocktail and he just picked whatever one he liked. That's how I feel with The Woz when he states he loves gadgets and can use up to 10 different phones at a time. He has a disposable income and buys these devices like candy. It is great to have options.

Woz is just a great guy. Perhaps the better human being "Steve" of Apple since he is like the patron saint of uber-geeks at The Valley. Him being a MULTI-platform user and gadget lover knows each phones strengths and weaknesses. He knows certain things that one OS can do better than the other. The iPhones are still great devices, but he knows it isn't the best or perfect at everything it can do. Same can be said with the competition. Woz saying it like it is.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Woz also likes Puerto Rican hookers and a good 8-ball, what's your point?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
When i saw voice I thought he was talking about google voice (which ROCKS), but this is a surprising one XD I never really use the voice feature, if it's that good perhaps I should. :)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
If there is one thing I've taken away from Steve Jobs autobiography, it's that Woz is most definitely a good, honest guy who genuinely loves tech.

Naturally he will look at other devices and form his own preferences :p

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yep.

"navigate home" on android, so simple and it works perfectly :)
Or "navigate (address)"
Not sure if "navigate (contact)" works but I imagine it does.

It does work that way. You can say Navigate to (contact) home/work and assuming the said contacts address is in your contacts then it will do it. The google voice system relays on key words to do its taste more so than siri but it seems to do better at getting the words correct. Kind of sad considering the system Apple is using (Nuance) sets the standard in speech to text.

beta

beta

beta

BETA

So is googles system. What is your point. That beta tag is wearing very thin on Siri. Beta is apples excuse for blocking it from everything but the 4S but lets face it Siri is not a beta. It just over hyped.

Nuance makes great speech to text software. Apple back end on the other hand is under powered and I would not be surprised if Apple tried to cheap out on it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If there is one thing I've taken away from Steve Jobs autobiography, it's that Woz is most definitely a good, honest guy who genuinely loves tech.

Naturally he will look at other devices and form his own preferences :p

I wasn't aware Steve wrote an autobiography! :confused: :p

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
I've found Siri to be very accurate sometimes and then going into WTF mode a few hours later where it can't even understand very simple sentences.

For example "Find the nearest best buy" seems to work 99% of the time. The one time I tried to demo it to some relatives, it said "I'm sorry I don't know what <gibberish but french sounding phrase> means".

Anyway if the Woz says something is better, it probably is!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple co-founder prefers Android to iPhone

Published January 16, 2012

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says he’s a fan of phones powered by Google’s Android mobile operating system, the Daily Beast reported.

While still the proud owner of an iPhone, Woz admits that in certain situations -- such as voice commands and GPS -- Android is a better bet.

“I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me,” Woz told the Daily Beast. “I’ll be saying, over and over again in my car, 'Call the Lark Creek Steak House,' and I can’t get it done. Then I pick up my Android, say the same thing, and it's done."

"Plus I get navigation. Android is way ahead on that," he added.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/16/apple-co-founder-prefers-android/#ixzz1jeA5Co00

I agree...

come on I want Siri for iPhone 4 and turn by turn navigation.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Woz loves technology and isn't afraid to try new things even if it's the competition. he allot more laid back then Steve was but if roles were switch I doubt Apple would be where it is now. I also think that the Jailbrake community is not a big deal to Woz.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Android is better for voice and navigation. Consumption of media in virtually every aspect i sbetter on the iPhone. THat is what keeps me coming back.
I have to disagree with you. I find any sort of video consumption to be lacking primarily due to the tiny screen size. Especially if you watch something with widescreen formatting...doesn't go well with that 4:3 aspect ratio.

beta

beta

beta

BETA
People throw this excuse around way too much. Apple touts Siri as one of their headlining features in the 4s, the whole beta excuse is pretty stale.

Woz loves technology and isn't afraid to try new things even if it's the competition. he allot more laid back then Steve was but if roles were switch I doubt Apple would be where it is now. I also think that the Jailbrake community is not a big deal to Woz.
I don't think anyone outside of the those that are entrenched in the iphone camp is all that impressed with the jailbreak community. While it is great for iphone users, in the end they for the most part add functionality that you should already be able to get out of the box (and that you get out of the box on many other devices). That being said, I do think the jailbreak community serves an important role for iphone users, otherwise it would be a severely handicapped device IMO.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
iPhone doesn't have a free navigation app correct? Of course he's going to like Android's more then...

iOS does, its called MapQuest and it provides Free Turn-by-Turn Navigation (I use it all the time, its very accurate and reliable, oh and also Free).

screenshot20120116at726.png

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapquest-4-mobile/id316126557?mt=8

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
iOS does, its called MapQuest and it provides Free Turn-by-Turn Navigation (I use it all the time, its very accurate and reliable, oh and also Free).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapquest-4-mobile/id316126557?mt=8
No where near as good or integrated as Googles Nav, for one thing you can have various views from 3D to birdseye just like a normal cars Nav system, you have voice guided turn by turn with advance notice, and the rerouting of a course is so much quicker then any other Nav app I've tried especially if you get off a highway and have to drive a bunch of random streets to get to a food place or whatever like I just did heading to Tampa lol, and it's automatic rerouting ability with heavy traffic is top notch. I've used mapquest nav on the iPhone, as well as Waze and other paid apps like telenav and navigon. I still much prefer the Google Nav integration on Android.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
No where near as good or integrated as Googles Nav, for one thing you can have various views from 3D to birdseye just like a normal cars Nav system, you have voice guided turn by turn with advance notice, and the rerouting of a course is so much quicker then any other Nav app I've tried especially if you get off a highway and have to drive a bunch of random streets to get to a food place or whatever like I just did heading to Tampa lol, and it's automatic rerouting ability with heavy traffic is top notch. I've used mapquest nav on the iPhone, as well as Waze and other paid apps like telenav and navigon. I still much prefer the Google Nav integration on Android.

I didn't say it was better, but you asked:

iPhone doesn't have a free navigation app correct? Of course he's going to like Android's more then...

I was just pointing out that yes it does. That is all.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Now, that I think about it, it's funny Woz mentions this. Maybe it is a hint that iOS 6 will have Apple Maps (the huge selling point in ios 6) and Siri 2.0. It's obvious this is coming. I remember an article a while back about Apple Maps. We all know the maps app in the iPhone needs updating, it's so blah right now, plus we haven't had firmware updates for Siri. Siri will probably be much better later on this year once Apple launches its iTV, etc. I think a lot of people are looking forward to being Apple to use Siri to launch any application or do something like, "Please restart my phone."

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

acfusion29 said:
beta

beta

beta

BETA

beta is the battery not Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.