Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I was just pointing out that yes it does. That is all.

I should have been more specific. The application you're talking about isn't provided by Apple, it's third party. Android has built in navigation into the maps application. The two shouldn't be compared to just because they're free.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Waze is much better, plus its free. :)

I should have been more specific. The application you're talking about isn't provided by Apple, it's third party. Android has built in navigation into the maps application. The two shouldn't be compared to just because they're free.

To be honest I don't think they're comparable anyway considering that Google Navigation is integrated into the OS and the iOS ones are not.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
To be honest I don't think they're comparable anyway considering that Google Navigation is integrated into the OS and the iOS ones are not.

I agree. Google Navigation on those 4.3" and above Android phones screen looks really nice. I loved it when I had my Galaxy S2.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I agree. Google Navigation on those 4.3" and above Android phones screen looks really nice. I loved it when I had my Galaxy S2.

Yeah I have in-dash navigation in my car yet I still find myself using my phone's navigation more frequently just because it's so much easier to just say "navigate to xyz" than to punch in an address in the gps system.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Meh,

I see no problems with Woz liking android. He chooses what works best and there's nothing with that.

Given his desire to delve into the nuts and bolts of things, android is a natural fit for him.
Indeed. I'm also one of those people who likes to delve into the "nuts and bolts" of things... only reason I'm on iOS today is because of jailbreaking (and I have a decent bit of money invested in apps). The resale value of iOS devices is nice too.... basically can always have the latest release without spending much more than the initial $300 I spent a few years back.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Yeah I have in-dash navigation in my car yet I still find myself using my phone's navigation more frequently just because it's so much easier to just say "navigate to xyz" than to punch in an address in the gps system.
Same here, even in my truck I end up using Google Nav instead sometimes lol, the mount I have charges the phone and streams music to the unit and it's in the perfect position to speak to or type on screen. Much easier to use too on the 4.3" screen then Telenav or Navigon on my iPhones. But the integration when searching for stuff on the go or in general rocks, and on the way up to Tampa recently it automatically re-routed us to avoid a nasty traffic snarl well in advance. It's especially useful when traveling whether for business or pleasure.

Not sure why Apple doesn't offer anything like it, I mean they acquired PlaceBase so they may make some adjustments to maps but I don't think they'll offer anything like Google Nav. I see Apple being more contempt to let users purchase the Nav app(s) they want from the store.

I just realized Waze is on Android market, not idea who the heck would use that over Google Nav lol?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't really have a preference for voice calls, but navigation is better on my Galaxy 2, and even my web browser. I like iTunes for playing movies (NATIVE subtitle support), but I have a better solution on my Android (Moboplayer). :eek:

I still can't type in Japanese on Android, though. :rolleyes: Actually, I can, but it's annoying and I don't like it.

And some of the apps I need are better on iPhone.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

That's exactly what I said...

I still can't type in Japanese on Android, though. :rolleyes: Actually, I can, but it's annoying and I don't like it.

I couldn't stand typing in English on my Android, much less Japanese. It doesn't feel anyway near as fluid as it does on an iOS device.

Last edited:

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I switched to Galaxy Nexus for that reason. None of the free nav apps I tried were good enough and I'm not dropping $20+ to get the same functionality was free on my Android phone. Well that and the tiny screen.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I couldn't stand typing in English on my Android, much less Japanese. It doesn't feel anyway near as fluid as it does on an iOS device.
Stock keyboard was ok, but Swype and Swiftkey rock. Especially Swype, after a few months of using it and it learning your words and style, it's so accurate and fast. Both I like much better than the keyboard on my iPhones. I was using my 4 the other day and missing so many key's when browsing lol, I had the same thing happen at first with the 4.3" GS2 as I was used to the screen size of the iPhone, now it's the opposite for me lol. Both boards excel at editing though, I couldn't stand the editing on the iPhone as it's so clumsy and rarely goes where you want it to be, so many complaints through the years for them to fix that but they haven't. They need to do something like Androids edit feature where you can touch where you want and drag the cursor to any letter etc and quickly edit.

Last edited:

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I think Siri is a good start and I only see it getting better in the future. I'm not too bent out of shape on the navigation as I just use my Garmin for travelling anyway, but having true navigation built in to the OS would be pretty nice. Maybe we'll see that in the next iPhone since iirc there was an article about the 3d navigation.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I can tell you that the voice typing on my Galaxy Nexus gets it right much more often than my I$S did, and when the room is noisy or in a moving car its a huge difference. I would have to repeat to Siri over and over and then just type it because it was never right. On android its right the first time most of the time.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
tacky

tacky

tacky

tacky

He would have never made a comment like this if Steve was alive.

Its so painfully obvious if you understand psychology that his immaturity drove him to say that because he secretly wants like-minded people to be able to say "yeah right even Steve Wozniac the guy who co-founded Apple prefers Android." He just wants some nerd-hero fame which is a reaction to how Steve was always so much more alpha than him while he was alive. Its like a subliminal snub due to insecurity.

Its quite dishonorable and a cheap shot. I see it as almost trying to dishonor Steve after his death and trying to downplay his legacy. --Especially since its still too soon after his death.

And on top of that none of those elements matter. He tried to paint it as a portrait where the details are superior on Android and to try to make it feel like Android is not the one with horrendous trash-ware in general. The point of iPhone is the touch response, the feedback, the details, the performance, the smoothness. Nobody does anything but text and browse the web anyways. And no, not even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is as smooth or in the same ball park with touch response.

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I guess the truth is tacky then. All he did was tell the truth.

Existence is a bit more complicated than that my son.

And Google Nav is not available on iOS so how can it be the best? Since you have to run it on Android that means your touch response will be subpar. Whatever advantages or features of convenience it has are void and nullified due to the ugly Android touch response.

I would rather uses Navigon on trips and Google Maps when looking for restaurants/street views, than to get on a sluggish Android device.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Daddy, Daddy, is that you? And here I thought you died years ago. What are you doing on Mac Forums you old codger.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I really can't see anything controversial in what Woz has said.

I've used both platforms, and for almost everything I want a phone to do I prefer the iPhone. However Google Nav is really well done, simple to use, and very accurate. I've not found anything as nice as it for iOS. GV is also good, but I've not used Siri so I can't compare the two.

Anyway, Woz's overall statement, that for those uninterested or afraid of getting into the nitty gritty of a phone, the iPhone is the best choice. I'd wager that constitutes the majority of phone owners out there.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
And no, not even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is as smooth or in the same ball park with touch response.
sorry I own both, and the i777 version of the S2 with the Exynos is just as smooth and fast, and no sluggishness.... both are great phones, you can tell on here who drinks the koolaid on either side, and looks like you had a glass or two this morning. BTW I have paid Navigon and Telenav and still prefer Google Nav integration and ease of use.

Your other response is pretty funny since my gf is psychologist and I sent her the Wozs' article and your post, thanks for the laugh lol.

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I really can't see anything controversial in what Woz has said.

I've used both platforms, and for almost everything I want a phone to do I prefer the iPhone. However Google Nav is really well done, simple to use, and very accurate. I've not found anything as nice as it for iOS. GV is also good, but I've not used Siri so I can't compare the two.

Anyway, Woz's overall statement, that for those uninterested or afraid of getting into the nitty gritty of a phone, the iPhone is the best choice. I'd wager that constitutes the majority of phone owners out there.

Open your MIND...

Think about it... whats his motivation?

----------

sorry I own both, and the i777 version of the S2 with the Exynos is just as smooth and fast

Sorry my dad has one so...

I also have total access to both.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
open you MIND

Think about it... whats his motivation?

To point out all the iPhones flaws and drive Apples stocks into the ground. Thereby cripple his own share holdings, leaving him broke and destitute so that he's forced into a starvation diet to avoid his inevitable date with Type 2 diabetes? 'Help me! I can't help myself!' are what I'm reading in those forlorn, hollow, and feigned smiles he's always flashing.

I mean that's just what I took to be the subtext of the article.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
One thing lots of people like about Woz is that he is generally more likeable, more respectable and more honest than the vast majority of silicon valley tycoons.

If Woz says he likes feature <Y> over feature <Q>, then that is probably the truth and he probably has legitimate reasons for saying so.

Tacky? No. Tacky is putting fanboy loyalty above honesty and pretending like Apple's device is the best at everything when it is clearly and demonstrably worse at certain functions.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
tacky

tacky

tacky

tacky

He would have never made a comment like this if Steve was alive.

Its so painfully obvious if you understand psychology that his immaturity drove him to say that because he secretly wants like-minded people to be able to say "yeah right even Steve Wozniac the guy who co-founded Apple prefers Android." He just wants some nerd-hero fame which is a reaction to how Steve was always so much more alpha than him while he was alive. Its like a subliminal snub due to insecurity.

Its quite dishonorable and a cheap shot. I see it as almost trying to dishonor Steve after his death and trying to downplay his legacy. --Especially since its still too soon after his death.

And on top of that none of those elements matter. He tried to paint it as a portrait where the details are superior on Android and to try to make it feel like Android is not the one with horrendous trash-ware in general. The point of iPhone is the touch response, the feedback, the details, the performance, the smoothness. Nobody does anything but text and browse the web anyways. And no, not even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is as smooth or in the same ball park with touch response.

Or maybe he just likes his android?

Stop over thinking things. You must be a nightmare to live with.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
One thing lots of people like about Woz is that he is generally more likeable, more respectable and more honest than the vast majority of silicon valley tycoons.

If Woz says he likes feature <Y> over feature <Q>, then that is probably the truth and he probably has legitimate reasons for saying so.

Tacky? No. Tacky is putting fanboy loyalty above honesty and pretending like Apple's device is the best at everything when it is clearly and demonstrably worse at certain functions.

Not the important ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.