Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Your are so biased it is ridiculous. I almost chose not to respond to you, but your post was so moronic that I couldn't help but to address it. Not better in any way? You've got to be kidding, there are plenty of ways it is better. Better nav (whether you want to admit it or not), better voice control, better customization, better cloud capabilities, better versatility...just to name a few things.

As for your poor analogy...actually a late model BMW is going to be much more complicated than an old Chevy. Old Chevy's don't have on-board nav, don't have heated seats, don't have heated mirrors, don't have seats with multiple user memory that you can program, etc. So yes the BMW WOULD be more complicated. Try again...you failed miserably there.

Your whole arguing Nav on Android isn't better because you don't have it on iOS is beyond idiotic. If you don't have it, then obviously that makes the other better by default because that's a feature it's missing. As for voice controls, there are people who actually do use it. I use it anytime I call a business. It's much faster to say "Call Best Buy" than to look it up and then call them. It's much easier to say "Call Costco" than to look up the number for Costco and then call them. It's much easier to say "Navigate to Cobb Galleria" than to look up the address to the Cobb Galleria and then launch the nav app. But I don't expect you to understand that, because you're unreasonably biased.

Also, what does him having an iPhone have to do with anything I said? I very clearly said that in my opinion iphone's biggest strength is also its biggest weakness. It's biggest strength is it's simple and there's really nothing for you to do to it. It's biggest weakness is that it's simple and there's not really anything you can change on it. When you get an iOS device, you're stuck with it the way it is for better or for worse. I do not like the hand holding approach Apple takes. That works great for some people, but I do not need to be babysat and am perfectly capable of managing my own device.

PS
This time if you respond, try to respond with an intelligent post with some semblance of objectivity.

Ill try to be a little more intelligent this time.

Fallacies were highlighted in Red.

I have already debated most of those in other threads so you can look it up using search.

As for the BMW analogy, you missed the point. It was about things like ABS and traction control and power steering. It does a lot for you. Does that mean its for beginners?

Simplicity is the height of perfection.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Not when you consider there is Navigon, Tom Tom, and Motion X amongst various free offerings that are all excellent and plenty integrated all rolled up into the superior iOS touch response. How complicated does navigation need to be? If you get there you get there. Its a very arbitrary thing to point out as an advantage.

You have to ask yourself what is on his hidden agenda?

In what sense do any of those integrate with the os? They don't integrate at all, everyone knows that iOS is an app launcher.

It integrates on Android because you can use the voice input to navigate, you can navigate directly from the contacts app and web pages, or the maps app. NONE of that integration is available on iOS.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
In what sense do any of those integrate with the os? They don't integrate at all, everyone knows that iOS is an app launcher.

It integrates on Android because you can use the voice input to navigate, you can navigate directly from the contacts app and web pages, or the maps app. NONE of that integration is available on iOS.

Pros: It integrates voice commands in Nav in a fancy, semi-unnecessary way. (it doesn't help you travel anywhere better)

Cons: It is on Android devices with Android design and touch response.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Pros: It integrates voice commands in Nav in a fancy, semi-unnecessary way. (it doesn't help you travel anywhere better)

hi bobby, apple will be bringing the same kind of thing to ios sometime in the future. Moves are already underway to copy what google have done.

on android google maps has a bunch of features not available on IOS. layers such as traffic, wiki, places, indoor maps, widgets, voice search & navigation. It makes google maps your one stop shop for searching & navigating.

Its superslick, intergrated & free. It has nice touches like when you reach the end of your journey navigation displays a google street view screenshot of your location. Its a very nice feature set and its forced apple to look into their own solution for iphone. Competition is good it forces the standards up.

Its really a case of how fast they can get their own version of what google have done. I hope for iphone users they dont make it exclusive on the next iphone like they did with siri.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Are you intellectually challenged? Androids design might not be quite as simple as ios but it's still incredibly simple to use, sometimes even more so. And the touch response is like a tenth of a second slower on Android, barely noticeable.

Pros:

- you wanna navigate to a friends house, just go to the contacts app, select your friend and then tap on his address; more intuitive.

- you can use google navigation hands free without needing to download any extra software. It has fully implemented voice commands.

- it integrates directly with googles excellent mapping services, so say I want to find a petrol station, I just type/speak the word "petrol" and it automatically loads a map showing the local petrol stations on the map, with the closest one highlighted and showing details. I can tap on any of the icons on the map to see street view, ratings, reviews of the petrol station, etc. Also let's you call the business at the press of a button.

Android is light years ahead in terms of navigation.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

Dude I think you have koolaid poisoning. We own both, and the i777 GS2 is actually my first Android as I didn't care for them before and it fixed everything I didn't care for before. It's every bit as smooth, fast and fluid as the 4S including touch response, and even people on here whom have/owned both have said the same thing regardless of your thoughts on it, and it get's even better with a custom Rom like UnNamed. GF's new bold crapped out the other day, and her work only uses BB or iPhones right now, she got stuck with the Bold before as it was all they had left, but they gave her a 4S now. She could have used my 4 but hell, they paid for it and the data so the 4S was a free phone lol, it was that or a Torch and she hates BB.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
hi bobby, apple will be bringing the same kind of thing to ios sometime in the future. Moves are already underway to copy what google have done.

on android google maps has a bunch of features not available on IOS. layers such as traffic, wiki, places, indoor maps, widgets, voice search & navigation. It makes google maps your one stop shop for searching & navigating.

Its superslick, intergrated & free. It has nice touches like when you reach the end of your journey navigation displays a google street view screenshot of your location. Its a very nice feature set and its forced apple to look into their own solution for iphone. Competition is good it forces the standards up.

Agreed and aware it is better. Mostly determining to what degree it is better and comparing that element to the suspicious things Woz said while keeping in mind his motivation.

Are you intellectually challenged? Androids design might not be quite as simple as ios but it's still incredibly simple to use, sometimes even more so. And the touch response is like a tenth of a second slower on Android, barely noticeable.

Pros:

- you wanna navigate to a friends house, just go to the contacts app, select your friend and then tap on his address; more intuitive.

- you can use google navigation hands free without needing to download any extra software. It has fully implemented voice commands.

- it integrates directly with googles excellent mapping services, so say I want to find a petrol station, I just type/speak the word "petrol" and it automatically loads a map showing the local petrol stations on the map, with the closest one highlighted and showing details. I can tap on any of the icons on the map to see street view, ratings, reviews of the petrol station, etc. Also let's you call the business at the press of a button.

Android is light years ahead in terms of navigation.

Im sorry bro but my current Navigation situation is not in dire need.

Is it really THAT much more useful?

Ill put it this way, in motion X I can navigate my iOS contacts. You're gonna be hard pressed to significantly improve on this method.

What is the difference if I open my contacts app and go navigate, vs opening my navigation app, and opening a contact?

In Motion X I have:

NATIVE CONTACTS LIST
MY HOME
RECENTLY FOUND
FREQUENT DESTINATIONS
FAVORITES
SAVED DESTINATIONS
SAVED PARKING SPOTS

Between having access directly to contacts integrated in the app and all those other 6 ways of organizing, I am pretty much set.

Lets be real, voice commands take a moment to listen, confirm, and execute.

Is it really significantly faster than tapping your app, tapping contacts, and choosing an address?

Most of the time everything I need is found in recent destination anyway.

I have traffic too.

I still have access to everything that Google Maps offers as well. And a quick one tap gas finder app. Functionally I can do everything. Speed-wise its just as fast. Its just not as integrated with voice commands yet.

The question is is Google Nav significantly better enough for it to merit this traitorous PR attack by Woz?

No it isn't.

Traitor.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
bobby sounds like your using 3 diffirent apps whereas google maps on android does it all.

motion x costs money and doesn't come preinstalled free with iphone.

come on. Apple are behind in this area but they know it and are working on catching up. When can they deliver is the big question. Android has had this for 2 years!

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Agreed and aware it is better. Mostly determining to what degree it is better and comparing that element to the suspicious things Woz said while keeping in mind his motivation.

Im sorry bro but my current Navigation situation is not in dire need.

Is it really THAT much more useful?

Ill put it this way, in motion X I can navigate my iOS contacts. You're gonna be hard pressed to significantly improve on this method.

What is the difference if I open my contacts app and go navigate, vs opening my navigation app, and opening a contact?

In Motion X I have:

NATIVE CONTACTS LIST
MY HOME
RECENTLY FOUND
FREQUENT DESTINATIONS
FAVORITES
SAVED DESTINATIONS
SAVED PARKING SPOTS

Between having access directly to contacts integrated in the app and all those other 6 ways of organizing, I am pretty much set.

Is it really significantly faster than tapping your app, tapping contacts, and choosing an address?

I have traffic too.

I still have access to everything that Google Maps offers as well. And a quick one tap gas finder app. Functionally I can do everything. Speed-wise its just as fast. Its just not as integrated with voice commands yet.

The question is is Google Nav significantly better enough for it to merit this traitorous PR attack by Woz?

No it isn't.

Traitor.

It's more useful in the contacts because contacts are linked into the os on android. For example, let's say I receive a message from a friend asking me to come round, I can simply press and hold the text message, tap on "open contact" and then tap their address. Simples.

Or let's say I go into contacts and call a friend, and they ask me to go round. When I hang up Im returned to the contact info for my friend and can simply tap the address. Again, simples.

Voice input isn't only useful because it's faster than typing out an address, it's also useful because you can use it safely whilst driving. Driving and typing is dangerous (and illegal in this country).

I stand by what I said - navigation is tons better on android. It's all integrated deeply into the os and installed by default. With ios you have to launch them like any other app, there's no os integration.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
bobby sounds like your using 3 diffirent apps whereas google maps on android does it all.

motion x costs money and doesn't come preinstalled free with iphone.

come on. Apple are behind in this area but they know it and are working on catching up. When can they deliver is the big question. Android has had this for 2 years!

Yes I am. But do I always need to do all things at the same time in the same app? Generally what I need to do will only involve one or the other.

It's more useful in the contacts because contacts are linked into the os on android. For example, let's say I receive a message from a friend asking me to come round, I can simply press and hold the text message, tap on "open contact" and then tap their address. Simples.

Or let's say I go into contacts and call a friend, and they ask me to go round. When I hang up Im returned to the contact info for my friend and can simply tap the address. Again, simples.

Voice input isn't only useful because it's faster than typing out an address, it's also useful because you can use it safely whilst driving. Driving and typing is dangerous (and illegal in this country).

I stand by what I said - navigation is tons better on android. It's all integrated deeply into the os and installed by default. With ios you have to launch them like any other app, there's no os integration.

If I receive a message for a friend to come around and I want to get there, I can do the same thing, except it will open google maps instead of my nav.

Heres a big thing: do you always need turn by turn nav? Sometimes its enough just to see the map and your blip on the radar. Usually full on turn by turn nav is only necessary on long unknown trips in unfamiliar areas. For the most part, Google Maps will help in a pinch. Especially considering you can tap the bottom left corner twice and it will even show you the direction you are facing in real time. Its pretty much top down view navigation without voice.

If I am just trying to find something down the block I don't need the whole shebang.

Usually someone will text you the address and you can just simply copy/paste into any Navigation program and you're done, set your phone down and drive.

Again, I am not saying its not better and more integrated, just saying its not that much better. I am not really left wanting of my current abilities. The flow is more fancy but not necessarily that much more functional or faster.

Definitely not worth making a spectacle about.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes I am. But do I always need to do all things at the same time in the same app? Generally what I need to do will only involve one or the other.

If I receive a message for a friend to come around and I want to get there, I can do the same thing, except it will open google maps instead of my nav.

Heres a big thing: do you always need turn by turn nav? Sometimes its enough just to see the map and your blip on the radar. Usually full on turn by turn nav is only necessary on long unknown trips in unfamiliar areas. For the most part, Google Maps will help in a pinch. Especially considering you can tap the bottom left corner twice and it will even show you the direction you are facing in real time. Its pretty much top down view navigation without voice.

If I am just trying to find something down the block I don't need the whole shebang.

Usually someone will text you the address and you can just simply copy/paste into any Navigation program and you're done, set your phone down and drive.

Again, I am not saying its not better and more integrated, just saying its not that much better. I am not really left wanting of my current abilities. The flow is more fancy but not necessarily that much more functional or faster.

For crying out loud, you are extremely biased towards ios. You're comparing navigation with turn by turn directions to bog standard google maps? If the only thing iOS supported was a list of directions with no actual map you still wouldn't accept that androids navigation is better.

Do you always need turn by turn nav? No, but it's there if you want it on android.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
For crying out loud, you are extremely biased towards ios. You're comparing navigation with turn by turn directions to bog standard google maps? If the only thing iOS supported was a list of directions with no actual map you still wouldn't accept that androids navigation is better.

Do you always need turn by turn nav? No, but it's there if you want it on android.

Wow no matter what I say...

uEQxL.gif

I am biased towards iOS because I saw the product and recognized its design genius. Not because I fell for marketing or hype. Why do people always assume we like Apple for dumb reasons?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Ill try to be a little more intelligent this time.

Fallacies were highlighted in Red.

I have already debated most of those in other threads so you can look it up using search.

As for the BMW analogy, you missed the point. It was about things like ABS and traction control and power steering. It does a lot for you. Does that mean its for beginners?

So basically you have no response....which you wouldn't have because your "points" are horribly flawed. As for your BMW analogy, you once again come up short. You do a very poor job of correlating cars to phones. ABS and traction control are nothing like having a locked down OS that allows no changes to be made. Do better...

I have traffic too.

No it isn't.

Traitor.
I see you obviously chose to just ignore my previously mentioned examples of how voice control is much faster than doing the same task manually. I guess you ignored it since it didn't suit your agenda. Well just for you I'll copy and paste it here for you.....I use it anytime I call a business. It's much faster to say "Call Best Buy" than to look it up and then call them. It's much easier to say "Call Costco" than to look up the number for Costco and then call them. It's much easier to say "Navigate to Cobb Galleria" than to look up the address to the Cobb Galleria and then launch the nav app. But I don't expect you to understand that, because you're unreasonably biased. BTW, it doesn't take long at all for it to listen and process (perhaps a second)....oh and it doesn't have to confirm..it gets it right..and if there is more than one possible result it will ask you which one on the screen (which takes about 1 more second).

The part that I bolded is just sheer stupidity....enough said on that..

As for the rest, it's quite obvious you have no experience using the android nav. Your statements show your ignorance. The mere fact that you just compared copying and pasting an address to just being able to tap it and go shows your ignorance. Copying and pasting an address many times will require you to do multiple copy and pastes for the city, street, and zip (if you didn't memorize it). It is nowhere near as seamless and easy...or INTUITIVE as just being able to tap the address and be done with it. It really is pathetic that you're so much of a fanboy that you refuse to see that. It really is a a tragedy. I'm sorry you felt so dejected because of the comments Woz made. Who knew that someone complimenting a mobile OS would leave a grown man so crestfallen and despondent. You need a hug?

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
One thing lots of people like about Woz is that he is generally more likeable, more respectable and more honest than the vast majority of silicon valley tycoons.

If Woz says he likes feature <Y> over feature <Q>, then that is probably the truth and he probably has legitimate reasons for saying so.

Tacky? No. Tacky is putting fanboy loyalty above honesty and pretending like Apple's device is the best at everything when it is clearly and demonstrably worse at certain functions.

Have to agree with the above. My girlfriend LOVES her Samsung Infuse, and would never trade it for an iPhone. I feel the same way about my iPhone. In fact, I used Android phones for years before getting my iPhone 4s.

But, after realizing I used my iPod Touch for everything you'd normally use your phone for over Wi-Fi, I bit the bullet and bought a 32GB 4s. Love it, would never go back. Why? because it works for me, and I like it.

Features like GPS navigation don't matter to me, because I have an in-car GPS, and I'd rather use my monthly data allotment on other fun stuff.

Woz should use whatever phone he prefers. The iPhone just isn't for everybody, no matter how much some of us like it.

...Now, if he were caught using a Windows phone, on the other hand... ;)

Just kidding. But it would reflect pretty badly on Apple. I can see the Microsoft ads now.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Wow no matter what I say...

I am biased towards iOS because I saw the product and recognized its design genius. Not because I fell for marketing or hype. Why do people always assume we like Apple for dumb reasons?

Because no matter what you have an excuse to downplay or even negate apples failures. "it doesn't have turn by turn but who needs turn by turn?" that's a classic post excusing apple rather than demanding a better experience.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA

I use motionX and it integrates with my address book. I can look up addresses from the app and navigate to them. I can call the address from the app as well. The only thing I cannot do is voice navigate from the app. I pay 0.99 cents for the app and 9.99 for a year of voice turn-by-turn directions. It does the job extremely well.

It is not as good a google nav but it is good enough.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I use motionX and it integrates with my address book. I can look up addresses from the app and navigate to them. I can call the address from the app as well. The only thing I cannot do is voice navigate from the app. I pay 0.99 cents for the app and 9.99 for a year of voice turn-by-turn directions. It does the job extremely well.

That's great but that integration is somewhat limited.

Everything in Android is interconnected.

In an SMS or an email you can simply tap on the contacts picture to open their contact info and then click the address. It helps you to flow better, as you don't have to back out of the app you're in and then launch your navigation app. It's more intuitive when apps can integrate properly with the OS.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Ya, How dare Woz tell the truth and wake up some of the apple fanboys. He has no right to his own oppinion, and to speak his own opinion. They should be able to jail or even execute someone for giving their opinion. Hmm, maybe we will get lucky and they will pass a law that will allow the Gov to jail and execute people for dis agreeing... We can only hope.

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Have to agree with the above. My girlfriend LOVES her Samsung Infuse, and would never trade it for an iPhone. I feel the same way about my iPhone. In fact, I used Android phones for years before getting my iPhone 4s.

But, after realizing I used my iPod Touch for everything you'd normally use your phone for over Wi-Fi, I bit the bullet and bought a 32GB 4s. Love it, would never go back. Why? because it works for me, and I like it.

Features like GPS navigation don't matter to me, because I have an in-car GPS, and I'd rather use my monthly data allotment on other fun stuff.

Woz should use whatever phone he prefers. The iPhone just isn't for everybody, no matter how much some of us like it.

...Now, if he were caught using a Windows phone, on the other hand... ;)

Just kidding. But it would reflect pretty badly on Apple. I can see the Microsoft ads now.

See its practically the same thing because Android IS the current day Microsoft in the mobile arena. Even you can see how it is tacky.

Its not really his business to go around telling "the truth" when it carries so much weight. Let other independent critics "tell the truth" and he can just keep his opinions private if only for the sake of professionalism and respect.

Ya, How dare Woz tell the truth and wake up some of the apple fanboys. He has no right to his own oppinion, and to speak his own oppinion. They should be able to jail or even execute someone for giving their oppinion. Hmm, maybe we will get lucky and they will pass a law that will allow the Gov to jail and execute people for dis agreeing... We can only hope.

That is the whole point! He knows fully well the implications of him making the comments.

Upside of being Woz: You are a millionaire and are legendary.
Downside of being Woz: You can't go around giving opinions without them having greater implications.

OH wow. Oh nooo.... I feel so bad for the guy. Im sure he's suffering.

The point of the story is that he knows they are not mere opinions. If its him giving them, it holds too much weight and it is more than a mere opinion but rather a symbol of disloyalty.

If its me or you saying it, its mere opinion, but if its him saying it, its too much ammo for the competition to the point where its not worth the damage to the brand just so one man can "give his opinion." Obviously its just attention whoring at that point.

It was inappropriate.

Last edited:

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Its not really his business to go around telling "the truth" when it carries so much weight. Let other independent critics "tell the truth" and he can just keep his opinions private if only for the sake of professionalism and respect.

That is the whole point! He knows fully well the implications of him making the comments.

Downside of being Woz: You can't go around giving opinions without them having greater implications.

The point of the story is that he knows they are not mere opinions. If its him giving them, it holds too much weight and it is more than a mere opinion but rather a symbol of disloyalty.

If its me or you saying it, its mere opinion, but if its him saying it, its too much ammo for the competition to the point where its not worth the damage to the brand just so one man can "give his opinion." Obviously its just attention whoring at that point.

It was inappropriate.

It was inappropriate? You think that since his opinion holds weight in the tech world he should never say anything unflattering about Apple, because people might notice start noticing its weaknesses more? You've got to be kidding me. So because his opinion holds weight, he should "keep his opinions private". I can't even begin it tell you how stupid and moronic that is. You are so worried about giving "too much ammo for the competition" that you don't want anything unflattering said publicly about the iPhone. Like it or not, he said it, and what he said is true. You can't expect for people to turn a blind eye to the iphone's weaknesses just so YOU can feel more secure in your purchase. You want him to "shhhh be quiet, don't tell anyone about how another platform is better...they might listen to you".

If there's anyone you should be upset with it's Apple. Ask Apple to stop putting out devices that are lacking in so many areas then you won't have to worry about someone publicly making mention of its deficiencies.....though I fail to see why you should be effected in any way by what he said. I guess some of us take phones way too personally. Might I suggest getting a girlfriend...or a puppy?

By the way, I've taken the liberty of shooting a quick video to demonstrate voice controls to you since it's obvious you have no experience with them. As you can see, it takes almost no time at all to "listen, confirm, and execute"....so I guess you were wrong on that one too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JEd_6IKtWw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
See its practically the same thing because Android IS the current day Microsoft in the mobile arena. Even you can see how it is tacky.

It was inappropriate.

He didn't say the iPhone is bad, just that he wished it could do what his Android phone does. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Why shouldnt he state his opinion?!

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

Yes, even me, being a Mac user who was lucky enough to have my first Powerbook at 15, and have owned nothing but Apple portables since then.

You could say I'm kind of a fan.

However, Apple has always had shortcomings and made "compromises" to pad their profit margin. I have and will continue to buy their products and defend my choices to naysayers (No, it's not a Fischer Price laptop, yes, I can do the same things as you if not more, and yes, it does look prettier doing it), but I'm not a fanboy.

It's kind of refreshing to see that Woz isn't either. It may not be the best possible business decision for him to be outspoken about the shortcomings of his own company's product, but I understand it. Programmers and engineers are a different breed, and jokes like "it's not a bug, it's a feature" aside, anyone who isn't willing to criticize the shortcomings of a piece of hardware or software and figure out how to fix it doesn't belong in the industry. Especially if they're testing their own design.

The only thing Woz has done wrong here, IMO, is not calling Steve Jobs on his Android phone and asking why the hell the navigation seems to work better than their own product. And, IMHO:

That is the whole point! He knows fully well the implications of him making the comments

...He's probably done exactly that, and Jobs probably didn't listen. So, he made a public statement.

It was inappropriate.

Let's be clear here: Company employees can show brand disloyalty and get fired. Woz founded Apple computer. But Apple now is not like it was in the 90's, and it's a far cry from when he was building them in the garage.

I remember dropping a 5300cs Powerbook on cement, from 4' in the air. Completely my fault, and there was no reason whatsoever for Apple to repair it.

But they did, in less than a week, completely free of charge. After that, I was completely hooked on the company. Used to be you could do just about anything to an Apple computer, and if you explained your problem to them they would go out of their way to fix it. That's brand loyalty.

Today, walk into an Apple store with a broken Mac, and they will do everything they can to get out of fixing it. People with broken iPods get turned away because they "voided the warranty" by accidentally dropping it, your Apple tech finds a tiny dent in your $3000 UMBP case and announces the warranty is void, things of that nature.

Apple has slacked off incredibly when it comes to building brand loyalty, because they can. Because the brand is now popular, hip, and desirable to the general public; so they no longer have to really compete with service like they did in the 90's. And in my experience, the Genius Bar would rather explain what you did wrong to break their product and why you're SOL, which is a very different experience than the "Sure, you screwed it up, but we're going to fix it for you so you'll buy another one in the future" attitude Apple used to have.

And if this seems off-topic, the same goes for obvious hardware/software shortcomings that should have been fixed to compete with other similar products, but aren't because it costs Apple money, and they don't have to.

Like I said, this is my opinion based on the last couple of decades as an end user. I would be shocked if Woz hasn't thought something along the same lines, and I applaud him for "acting out."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.