Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
To be fair, Woz has a point. Integrate a great navigation system into Maps and make Siri 2.0 do more than it currently does and the iPhone will be unmatched.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bobby Corwen said:
I really can't see anything controversial in what Woz has said.

I've used both platforms, and for almost everything I want a phone to do I prefer the iPhone. However Google Nav is really well done, simple to use, and very accurate. I've not found anything as nice as it for iOS. GV is also good, but I've not used Siri so I can't compare the two.

Anyway, Woz's overall statement, that for those uninterested or afraid of getting into the nitty gritty of a phone, the iPhone is the best choice. I'd wager that constitutes the majority of phone owners out there.

Open your MIND...

Think about it... whats his motivation?

----------

sorry I own both, and the i777 version of the S2 with the Exynos is just as smooth and fast

Sorry my dad has one so...

I also have total access to both.

What's his motivation?

To make someone in apple take notice and improve the iPhone?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Well one thing we can all agree on is that Woz is a total traitor to the Apple brand.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Thats a very subjective statement, important to whom? You?

To the masses.

Navigation is very important to me and android wipes the floor with ios.

Not when you consider there is Navigon, Tom Tom, and Motion X amongst various free offerings that are all excellent and plenty integrated all rolled up into the superior iOS touch response. How complicated does navigation need to be? If you get there you get there. Its a very arbitrary thing to point out as an advantage.

You have to ask yourself what is on his hidden agenda?

Well one thing we can all agree on is that Woz is a total traitor to the Apple brand.

Agreed.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Not when you consider there is Navigon, Tom Tom, and Motion X amongst various free offerings that are all excellent and plenty integrated all rolled up into the superior iOS touch response. How complicated does navigation need to be? If you get there you get there. Its a very arbitrary thing to point out as an advantage.

Android:

you say "navigate home" --> Google nav navigates home

how does the iPhone "superior touch response" factor in when you don't even touch the phone??

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Nothing you listed can hold a candle to Android navigation. Even most diehard Apple fans are able to agree with that. It seems to me you have your own opinion and are translating that to what the "masses" think. I spend a lot of time on various forums. The masses disagree.

Grimsrud

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Voice commands are basically just a novelty to me, but I really wish that Apple would upgrade the GPS function of the iPhone. I'm guessing that their squabbles with Google have something to do with the lack of voice navigation in the Maps app. The free MapQuest app does the job most of the time, but that's just not good enough. I've had the thing crash more than once.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Voice commands are basically just a novelty to me, but I really wish that Apple would upgrade the GPS function of the iPhone. I'm guessing that their squabbles with Google have something to do with the lack of voice navigation in the Maps app.

I think you are right on the money here. I remember, a couple months to maybe a year back, reading that Apple was working on their own turn by turn solution.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
To be quite honest, I own an Android (HTC Incredible) device and an iPhone 4. While I like the UI better on the iPhone, I find myself with the Incredible in my hands more often than the iPhone.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
tacky

tacky

tacky

tacky

He would have never made a comment like this if Steve was alive.

Its so painfully obvious if you understand psychology that his immaturity drove him to say that because he secretly wants like-minded people to be able to say "yeah right even Steve Wozniac the guy who co-founded Apple prefers Android." He just wants some nerd-hero fame which is a reaction to how Steve was always so much more alpha than him while he was alive. Its like a subliminal snub due to insecurity.

Its quite dishonorable and a cheap shot. I see it as almost trying to dishonor Steve after his death and trying to downplay his legacy. --Especially since its still too soon after his death.

And on top of that none of those elements matter. He tried to paint it as a portrait where the details are superior on Android and to try to make it feel like Android is not the one with horrendous trash-ware in general. The point of iPhone is the touch response, the feedback, the details, the performance, the smoothness. Nobody does anything but text and browse the web anyways. And no, not even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is as smooth or in the same ball park with touch response.

How is him stating that something is better elsewhere a shot a Steve Jobs? You're really reaching.... By the way, Woz doesn't need to try to get fame. The same people who are discussing this already knew who he was in the first place. Also, if you took the time to read the first article from the source instead of this link then you would have saw that he actually said he thinks the iphone is a better device for most people (those who are a bit afraid of computers). He didn't state anything that was not true. Give the unmitigated fanboy stance a rest.

----------

Voice commands are basically just a novelty to me, but I really wish that Apple would upgrade the GPS function of the iPhone. I'm guessing that their squabbles with Google have something to do with the lack of voice navigation in the Maps app. The free MapQuest app does the job most of the time, but that's just not good enough. I've had the thing crash more than once.

Depends on the command. I find that it is much faster for me to just say "Call Best Buy" than to look up the nearest Best Buy and call it. I find it's much faster for me to say "Navigate to Applebees's" than to look up the address to the Applebee's and then go into the nav app. I use those features all the time. When I order chinese, I never look the phone number up. I always just say "Call China Cafe" and it calls it. That is much more convenient than looking it up, so I'd hardly call that a novelty, and after having used this feature for two years, I've come to rely on it.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
How is him stating that something is better elsewhere a shot a Steve Jobs? You're really reaching.... By the way, Woz doesn't need to try to get fame. The same people who are discussing this already knew who he was in the first place. Also, if you took the time to read the first article from the source instead of this link then you would have saw that he actually said he thinks the iphone is a better device for most people (those who are a bit afraid of computers). He didn't state anything that was not true. Give the unmitigated fanboy stance a rest.

Humans are very competitive. Despite his fame. In all accounts he is described as having a childlike immaturity.

If he wanted to point out the truth he should have said Androids are for geeks and freaks, and that he has geek pride, not saying Apple is for people who are afraid of computers.

Anyway, Apple is a better more solid choice as a consumer in general, its not a computer for dummies. Thats a backhanded compliment.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

While Siri is a nice gimmic for a phone, it doesn't understand people very well (especially the Scottish - no offence) and whats the point in speaking to your iPhone when it doesn't understand you???

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Humans are very competitive. Despite his fame. In all accounts he is described as having a childlike immaturity.

If he wanted to point out the truth he should have said Androids are for geeks and freaks, and that he has geek pride, not saying Apple is for people who are afraid of computers.

Anyway, Apple is a better more solid choice as a consumer in general, its not a computer for dummies. Thats a backhanded compliment.

What he said exactly right. The iphone is designed with a "computers for dummies" type approach. That is its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. When you buy an iphone you don't have think about how you want to set it up. You don't have to decide if you want to make any changes to it. That is great for someone who isn't very comfortable with having control, but it's awful for someone like myself who doesn't need things done and chosen for me. Apple takes a hand holding approach with their phone and that works for them since many people are tech verse. However for people like me, that same strength is a large weakness that causes people like me to not choose it as their daily driver. I'd rather not have the hand holding, I am perfectly capable of making my own choices and managing my own device. I would say his comment is on target. If you're a person who isn't afraid of having control, then Android is a better platform to use. However, if you're someone who might be a bit more tech averse, then iOS is a better platform for you generally.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
What he said exactly right. The iphone is designed with a "computers for dummies" type approach. That is its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. When you buy an iphone you don't have think about how you want to set it up. You don't have to decide if you want to make any changes to it. That is great for someone who isn't very comfortable with having control, but it's awful for someone like myself who doesn't need things done and chosen for me. Apple takes a hand holding approach with their phone and that works for them since many people are tech verse. However for people like me, that same strength is a large weakness that causes people like me to not choose it as their daily driver. I'd rather not have the hand holding, I am perfectly capable of making my own choices and managing my own device. I would say his comment is on target. If you're a person who isn't afraid of having control, then Android is a better platform to use. However, if you're someone who might be a bit more tech averse, then iOS is a better platform for you generally.

Android is not better in any way. Its still trash in 2012. I know about tech and I still use iPhone. I don't even like LOOKING at the menus on Androids, let alone want to own one.

Simplicity is the height of perfection. These systems are balanced for usability.

Is a BMW easier to use than a 67 Chevy? Maybe, it has more automatic features and is more modern. Does that mean BMWs are for dummies because they are more elegant and automatic? Sure you like to work on your chevy, and maybe you can even soup up the engine to go as fast. But the handling will still be sub par and you are just wasting your time like a child on a hobby that doesn't really do anything for you. In the end the BMW is still the better consumer choice.

Woz is that gear head nerd that doesn't buy a new car because he can't work on the engine.

Its one thing to say Apples are easier to use due to superior design, but its another to try to say they are computers on training wheels for dummies and try to paint them in a negative light.

Whether you know what you're doing or not, Apple is still the better product.

And again, fancy voice commands aside, (which nobody uses IRL) Google Nav is still not better simply because you can't run it natively on iOS. It can't possibly be better if you have to get an Android to use it.

In the end Woz still owns an iPhone so your whole argument is moot anyway.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Android is not better in any way. Its still trash in 2012. I know about tech and I still use iPhone. I don't even like LOOKING at the menus on Androids, let alone want to own one.

Simplicity is the height of perfection. These systems are balanced for usability.

Is a BMW easier to use than a 67 Chevy? Maybe, it has more automatic features and is more modern. Does that mean BMWs are for dummies because they are more elegant and automatic? Sure you like to work on your chevy, and maybe you can even soup up the engine to go as fast. But the handling will still be sub par and you are just wasting your time like a child on a hobby that doesn't really do anything for you. In the end the BMW is still the better consumer choice.

Woz is that gear head nerd that doesn't buy a new car because he can't work on the engine.

Its one thing to say Apples are easier to use due to superior design, but its another to try to say they are computers on training wheels for dummies and try to paint them in a negative light.

And again, fancy voice commands aside, (which nobody uses IRL) Google Nav is still not better simply because you can't run it natively on iOS. It can't possibly be better if you have to get an Android to use it.

Still drinking that Koolaid? Your post are too easy to tear apart but I won't bother. All I'll say again is I own both, and totally disagree with everything you've said so far in these last couple post. And your car comparison is dumb and obviously you know nothing about building up cars b/c I can easily show you plenty of builds like a 67" Chevelle using your example that not only drives smooth on the road but will make an E92 M3 or E60 M5 feeling like a numb lumbering barge in handling. You've obviously never seen a pro-touring build.

Woz is just a tech guy plain and simple, you need to get out from that rock and get outside a little, man you take stuff way too seriously. Woz, immature? god lol.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Still drinking that Koolaid? Your post are too easy to tear apart but I won't bother. All I'll say again is I own both, and totally disagree with everything you've said so far in these last couple post. And your car comparison is dumb and obviously you know nothing about building up cars b/c I can easily show you plenty of builds like a 67" Chevelle using your example that not only drives smooth on the road but will make an E92 M3 or E60 M5 feeling like a numb lumbering barge in handling. you've obviously never seen a pro-touring build.

Lol you just lost.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
tacky

tacky

tacky

tacky

He would have never made a comment like this if Steve was alive.

Its so painfully obvious if you understand psychology that his immaturity drove him to say that because he secretly wants like-minded people to be able to say "yeah right even Steve Wozniac the guy who co-founded Apple prefers Android." He just wants some nerd-hero fame which is a reaction to how Steve was always so much more alpha than him while he was alive. Its like a subliminal snub due to insecurity.

Its quite dishonorable and a cheap shot. I see it as almost trying to dishonor Steve after his death and trying to downplay his legacy. --Especially since its still too soon after his death.

And on top of that none of those elements matter. He tried to paint it as a portrait where the details are superior on Android and to try to make it feel like Android is not the one with horrendous trash-ware in general. The point of iPhone is the touch response, the feedback, the details, the performance, the smoothness. Nobody does anything but text and browse the web anyways. And no, not even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is as smooth or in the same ball park with touch response.

Wow, you are a Apple fanboy through and through. This is just a horrendous post.

Woz just isnt close minded like Steve was. Nothing wrong with that.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Hell even I prefer Android, at least the latest iteration (ICS). My beef with Android is no longer the software now but the hardware.

Does this mean my iPhone 4s will be shelved? Nope.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

Your are so biased it is ridiculous. I almost chose not to respond to you, but your post was so moronic that I couldn't help but to address it. Not better in any way? You've got to be kidding, there are plenty of ways it is better. Better nav (whether you want to admit it or not), better voice control, better customization, better cloud capabilities, better versatility...just to name a few things.

As for your poor analogy...actually a late model BMW is going to be much more complicated than an old Chevy. Old Chevy's don't have on-board nav, don't have heated seats, don't have heated mirrors, don't have seats with multiple user memory that you can program, etc. So yes the BMW WOULD be more complicated. Try again...you failed miserably there.

Your whole arguing Nav on Android isn't better because you don't have it on iOS is beyond idiotic. If you don't have it, then obviously that makes the other better by default because that's a feature it's missing. As for voice controls, there are people who actually do use it. I use it anytime I call a business. It's much faster to say "Call Best Buy" than to look it up and then call them. It's much easier to say "Call Costco" than to look up the number for Costco and then call them. It's much easier to say "Navigate to Cobb Galleria" than to look up the address to the Cobb Galleria and then launch the nav app. But I don't expect you to understand that, because you're unreasonably biased.

Also, what does him having an iPhone have to do with anything I said? I very clearly said that in my opinion iphone's biggest strength is also its biggest weakness. It's biggest strength is it's simple and there's really nothing for you to do to it. It's biggest weakness is that it's simple and there's not really anything you can change on it. When you get an iOS device, you're stuck with it the way it is for better or for worse. I do not like the hand holding approach Apple takes. That works great for some people, but I do not need to be babysat and am perfectly capable of managing my own device.

PS
This time if you respond, try to respond with an intelligent post with some semblance of objectivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.