Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I keep hearing that the Broncos shouldn't pick up a QB in this draft, that next year will be a better year for a QB. That is true if you're drafting top 10 as the Broncos are this year, but if they finish 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 and draft mid to late 20's, what would the options be at that point? Drew Lock is a "project" QB with a big arm and a lot of athleticism that could use a year or two under a pro's pro like Flacco. I would not be opposed to seeing the Broncos take a flier on Lock under Flacco's mentorship if he is still there at 10.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Clearly the Chiefs are the team to beat in the AFC West. The Chargers are running out of time with Phillip Rivers. The Raiders have made good transactions for players, but I'm not convinced that they won't somehow shoot themselves in the foot. I'm not so sure the Broncos have made the kind of progress needed now in our division. While the new coach is bound to be better than Joseph, the QB situation still hasn't been solved for the long term.

Yes sadly, I feel like the rest of the teams have passed them by. Silly to say about the Raiders after they gave away there 2 best players last year, but I honestly feel like even though Amari Cooper and Khalil Macl has done good for there respective teams... The Raiders may end up winning those trades. I mean look they now have Antonio Brown. They'll most likely end up with Joey Bosa or Josh Allen. The they still have 3 more First round picks ... Joey Bosa or Josh Allen will end up being great in the NFL.

Then the Broncos.. need a QB, but I’m not sure they’re going after one. They had good offensive pieces in place, but most are gone. I mean I feel like Elway will get it together, but I’m not sure. They had the defense, but now it’s not looking good either.

The Chargers are essentially out of time with Rivers. They had a great shot last season and blew it.

The Chiefs are the Chiefs. With the QB they have.. good Receivers, and we will see where there running game goes, but they have Andy Reid and in the Regular Season idk if there’s better coaches than Andy Reid. There’s Belichick but besides him. I don’t know I just feel it’s the Chiefs division to lose. The question is “Will anyone step up and challenge them?”

Then we have the NFC East... that division is always up in the air. Ha ha lol. We honestly don’t know who will win it. I feel like the Cowboys have the pieces...

Reactions: ucfgrad93

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
What drove me nuts about the Broncos last year was losing some close games to very good teams, often due to stupid penalties, last-minute mistakes, poor clock management by Vance Joseph and some really timid play calling at times. But they had their chances. Lost one of the games to KC by 4 another by 7, lost to the Rams by 3.

But then they would lose games to teams they *should* have beat, often for the same reasons. Stupid penalties, poor/timid play calling, poor clock management, etc. It was just a bit maddening watching them play so well against some of the better teams and then get blown out by the Jets or lose to the 49'ers.

Fangio keeps talking about a change in culture and not losing these games through "death by inches." We will see if that really materializes.

But, nothing against Flacco as a QB or as a player, he is a best a bridge while Elway kicks the can down the road.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
What drove me nuts about the Broncos last year was losing some close games to very good teams, often due to stupid penalties, last-minute mistakes, poor clock management by Vance Joseph and some really timid play calling at times. But they had their chances. Lost one of the games to KC by 4 another by 7, lost to the Rams by 3.

But then they would lose games to teams they *should* have beat, often for the same reasons. Stupid penalties, poor/timid play calling, poor clock management, etc. It was just a bit maddening watching them play so well against some of the better teams and then get blown out by the Jets or lose to the 49'ers.

Fangio keeps talking about a change in culture and not losing these games through "death by inches." We will see if that really materializes.

But, nothing against Flacco as a QB or as a player, he is a best a bridge while Elway kicks the can down the road.

Yeah, losing to the Jets and 49ers last year was just inexcusable.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
And it's Draft night! Who will get picked first, what team will make the boneheaded pick of the night.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have to say I am underwhelmed by the Broncos move to trade with the Steelers and draft Noah Fant @ 20. Not that Fant is a bad player. He is a real offensive tallent at TE, but definitely *not* a blocking TE and... Devin Bush. Devin Bush seemed like a no brainer for the Broncos at 10.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have to say I am underwhelmed by the Broncos move to trade with the Steelers and draft Noah Fant @ 20. Not that Fant is a bad player. He is a real offensive tallent at TE, but definitely *not* a blocking TE and... Devin Bush. Devin Bush seemed like a no brainer for the Broncos at 10.

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, I wasn’t impressed.

I saw the Broncos hyping it on Facebook as "We got a steal," really? A steal? Because you missed on Jeff Heurman, Jake Butt and Troy Fumagalli for various reasons, somehow Noah Fant is a "steal?"

Edit: My pick for "Bone Headed Pick of he Night goes to Oakland for drafting Clelin Ferrel at #4 though. But that's so Oakland :)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Still went too high for a "may be."

I said he may be better than Old Joe Flacco. I think he will be a good if not flashy QB, in the Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins vein. A reach at 6? Yes, but so was Clelin Ferrell at 4. Question was who made the biggest bone headed move. My money is still on Oakland and Clelin Ferrell :)

Edit: History is always revisionist in these things. Arizona maybe proved the made the biggest bone headed pick of 2018 when they moved up from No. 15 in a swap with the Oakland Raiders to take Josh Rosen, giving up picks in the third and fifth rounds.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Broncos pick local Wiggins, CO boy Dalton Risner. Love this pick and they traded up to have the next one now as well.

Edit: Broncos follow that by drafting Drew Lock with the next pick and Dre'mont Jones in the 3rd round.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
It's been a quiet off-season in here.. Now that there are a few preseason games in the books how do you guys feel about your team this year? what is your record prediction?

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Texans fan here....if the team can get a reliable LT and maybe some common sense in our coach, the team may actually be really good. The offense is scary good and anytime you have JJ Watt on defense good things tend to happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.