Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
you get them yet? Eagerly awaiting to hear how they work
unfortunately not yet. they estimated delivery by january 7, but nothing yet. i’m in the usa and they’re coming on the slow boat from china. will post pics and my thoughts as soon as i get them.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
I'm using small Comply tips under small APP tips. While they fit well and the case closes as normal, I'm finding the Comply foam to be quite firm such that it's hard to compress them enough to allow for expansion and resulting good fit (APP oval tip shape doesn't help, as it's hard to do 'roll' motion).

For those who've tried both Comply and Symbio, are the Symbios any softer?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Which comply tips are you using? I am using their TW tips underneath and they are not too firm.

I'm using small Comply tips under small APP tips. While they fit well and the case closes as normal, I'm finding the Comply foam to be quite firm such that it's hard to compress them enough to allow for expansion and resulting good fit (APP oval tip shape doesn't help, as it's hard to do 'roll' motion).

For those who've tried both Comply and Symbio, are the Symbios any softer?

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
After much experimentation, so far I like the Symbio medium with medium APP tips and Symbio large with large APP tips for daily usage. I ordered a MLL (Medium, Large, Large) set. I am still deciding on M vs L or a mix. Right ear seems a bit larger. For very loud environments or wanting better NRR, I use these custom tips I made and posted previously, but there is a decrease in quality;

Attachments

• 795349-b2a1cc09c244da1f98dbb2070525d474.jpg
    795349-b2a1cc09c244da1f98dbb2070525d474.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 349

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I ordered Symbio Medium size on December , 18. In the meanwhile I switched to my S size. Do you think I can even use the M site in S Original tips?

don’t want to place another order and waste other 12$ (and waiting 3 weeks or so).

they have just 1mm difference in width..

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
UK stock now:

might be the same but to me, they are not. the pics don’t show the filter in the middle. the other ones from china showed a membrane or filter inside the tip, like apple’s.

edit: now that i look at the ones from china, which i ordered, i don’t think they actually have a filter either. the pics are deceiving but on close inspection i don’t think they have any ear wax filters. probably a waste of money imo. apple included the filter for a reason.

Last edited:

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
My biggest concern with third-party tips would be risk of the entire tip coming off in ones ear (disconnecting from the main AirPod body). The OEM tips are firmly snapped to the retaining ring. Third party tips would need to reliably do the same.

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I ordered Symbio Medium size on December , 18. In the meanwhile I switched to my S size. Do you think I can even use the M site in S Original tips?

don’t want to place another order and waste other 12$ (and waiting 3 weeks or so).

It might be snug and show more orange. From the Med. & Lg. I have, they seem to correspond well to the Med. & Lg. of the APPs.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
My biggest concern with third-party tips would be risk of the entire tip coming off in ones ear (disconnecting from the main AirPod body). The OEM tips are firmly snapped to the retaining ring. Third party tips would need to reliably do the same.
my original small tips, the one i had on my right app, was faulty and easily disconnected. i removed the app from my ear and the tip stayed in. i was nervous for a minute, the tip was lodged perfectly in my ear. but it was easy to get out. it was a good confirmation that the small tip was the perfect size. btw, apple sent me a replacement pair.

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I am trying the medium APP tips with the large Symbio foam and its pretty good.

It might be snug and show more orange. From the Med. & Lg. I have, they seem to correspond well to the Med. & Lg. of the APPs.

Jutah said:

Reactions: Jutah

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am trying the medium APP tips with the large Symbio foam and its pretty good.

Jutah said:

I have both the large and medium Symbios and the large symbols work well with the large tips and the medium Symbios work well with both the large and medium tips

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I have both the large and medium Symbios and the large symbols work well with the large tips and the medium Symbios work well with both the large and medium tips

Yes, I am trying that as well. Very comfortable but not sure about isolation yet.

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Do you mean the noise cancelling isn't sufficient?

I meant the seal that isolates outside noise. I have also been comparing them with the noise cancelation off to see how well they seal and block outside sound. I am not sure about the large Symbios in the medium tips after wearing them for a while. I think the compression that the medium tip puts on the large foam makes them a little hard and uncomfortable after a while.

mbg56

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
I have ordered small TrueGrip Pro tips to try what kaisheng has done. As far as my experimenting; So far I am having the most success with my Comply Canal Tips and Comply P-Series modifications with the P-Series tube cut about 3/16" in from the end that mounts to the APP. For me its a good tradeoff between comfort, sound isolation and sound quality.

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tgg-truegrip/

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

These are some very ingenious mods!

Yabadabadoo - where did you get the threaded stud and how did you fasten it to the bud?

Thanks

(Should have mentioned I'm looking at something to use in my hobby woodworking shop - so need maximum NRR. I tried Isotunes FREE that work well for isolation and sound quality but they are supposed to be sound limited to 85dB but seem to be a bit below this so may look at APP with better NRR.)

Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
unfortunately not yet. they estimated delivery by january 7, but nothing yet. i’m in the usa and they’re coming on the slow boat from china. will post pics and my thoughts as soon as i get them.
Im starting to think I will never receive these. Im going to ask eBay for a refund.

Edit: Just went to ebay and looked at the purchased page and the tracking says they arrived in the USA on the 12th and is expected for delivery on the 16th. Not to be negative but I am prepared to be disappointed because I don’t think the have the earwax guard.

Last edited:

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
At the end of my second week with my 5th set of Pros and since customising using the Symbio W eartips, I have had no seal issues, no NC problems and I get a seal with the medium Apple tips. Before installing the Symbio W eartips, i had to use the large Apple tips. All good so far.

How long did the Symbio tips take to get to you? I ordered mine Jan 8 and haven't heard anything about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.