Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Just a PSA. I bought a set of Symbio W eartips for my Sony WF-1000XM3s last summer (hybrid tips - memory foam inside a standard silicone sleeve) and last night I discovered that the foam insert can be removed with relative ease AND fits inside the AirPods Pro tip perfectly.

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07T5TBTSW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

And this is is what it looks like, on the AirPods Pro. They fit inside the case exactly like the stock tips, too.

View attachment 882037
Do you get a good NC seal?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Sure. I originally did the medium tips (Symbio medium to AirPods Pro medium) but I just did the large as well, and took some pictures (click to enlarge). The whole process took about two minutes. The original/unmodified tips are on the left, in all the pictures (for comparison's sake).

1. Begin by inverting both tips. The Symbio memory foam seems to be sticky, but it actually isn't sticky - just tacky. So the tip inverts pretty easily, exposing the memory foam core.
View attachment 882062

2. Slide the memory foam off the shaft. (yeah, yeah - I'm sure there's a joke there)
View attachment 882063

3. As you can see, the memory foam insert comes off easily.
View attachment 882064

4. Pinch the AirPods Pro tip, and squish/twist it through the center of the memory foam.
View attachment 882065

5. Pull the AirPods Pro tip through the memory foam's center, and position the memory foam on the shaft.
View attachment 882066

6. Re-invert the AirPods Pro tip and you're done.
View attachment 882067

7.As you can see, the case closes perfectly.
View attachment 882068

View attachment 882069

The memory foam is quite pliable, so it fits the AirPods Pro tips' center shaft perfectly.

Hope that helps!
Looks good. Thanks

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Also curious whether this approach messes with the internal mic (not the external ANC mic) which tunes the sound?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I checked the website you listed. It’s Chinese.
Yeah that's what I found so I found same the tips on ebay for £4.50 with free 2 day delivery so pulled the trigger on a pair.
I have various other foam tips on order and if one type doesn't work then I have options to try others.
Need to do this quickly as my replacement Pro's arrive tomorrow

Reactions: mavis

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
?

64A383ED-82D9-4574-84EF-C535CBEF9A8C.jpeg

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Do you get a good NC seal?
Well, I did, but it wasn't that comfortable (to me) compared to the stock tips. I use M tips, although the L works too - they just invert when I take them out of my ear. So I stick with M's.

What I ended up doing was taking the M Symbio foam and sticking it on the AirPods' L tip. No more inverting when I remove the AirPods from my ear, and yes - the bass and NC are marginally improved. Win win. Oh, and the fit test now shows good seal for both ears.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Yeah that's what I found so I found same the tips on ebay for £4.50 with free 2 day delivery so pulled the trigger on a pair.
I have various other foam tips on order and if one type doesn't work then I have options to try others.
Need to do this quickly as my replacement Pro's arrive tomorrow
Do you have a link?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Just a PSA. I bought a set of Symbio W eartips for my Sony WF-1000XM3s last summer (hybrid tips - memory foam inside a standard silicone sleeve) and last night I discovered that the foam insert can be removed with relative ease AND fits inside the AirPods Pro tip perfectly.

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07T5TBTSW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

And this is is what it looks like, on the AirPods Pro. They fit inside the case exactly like the stock tips, too.

View attachment 882037

do you have a link to those on the us amazon?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I tried the way posted in this thread where you slide the Apple tips through the memory foam. I didn't like it.

I think the setup from eBay works the best. The only drawback is it is missing the screen, but it fits perfectly and stays in my ear without moving until I decide to take it out.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I tried the way posted in this thread where you slide the Apple tips through the memory foam. I didn't like it.

I think the setup from eBay works the best. The only drawback is it is missing the screen, but it fits perfectly and stays in my ear without moving until I decide to take it out.
Does it fit in the case?

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
It’s available in the phone accessory shops in Hong Kong.
Costs around 20 usd. Inside pu outside leather. Fits well.

There are many silicone case available. But I like the look and feel of leather.

If it doesn’t have a loop for a keychain, it’s the kind I’ve been looking for. Have you seen any like that online?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Does it fit in the case?

Both fit, the original from this thread with the Medium fits (you do have to compress them a bit), and the medium with the slide over the Apple tips method (just not as well as the original from this thread).

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Informative video here about adding memory foam. Very useful

Ok so I have a set of those foam tips, and found a way to make it work perfectly.

Cut the foam tip in half, and then remove the center shaft (the hard rubber piece in the center) by gently peeling the foam away/off. I used the small foam tips on my AirPods Pro medium tips, and they fit perfectly- the foam doesn't extend past the silicone anymore, so they look better, and they aren't any larger than unmodified tips so the top of the case closes perfectly, without any squeezing or additional pressure/effort. The seal/ANC/bass is improved, and they're still comfortable because they're not larger than the stock tips.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Small Comply tips fit well inside small APP tips. Case closes just like normal. Easy to slide Comply tips over inverted APP tip without paper clip method from video

Reactions: arn

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Ok so I have a set of those foam tips, and found a way to make it work perfectly.

Cut the foam tip in half, and then remove the center shaft (the hard rubber piece in the center) by gently peeling the foam away/off. I used the small foam tips on my AirPods Pro medium tips, and they fit perfectly- the foam doesn't extend past the silicone anymore, so they look better, and they aren't any larger than unmodified tips so the top of the case closes perfectly, without any squeezing or additional pressure/effort. The seal/ANC/bass is improved, and they're still comfortable because they're not larger than the stock tips.
This is what I did. If you remove that inner hard piece, they just slide right on the AirPod tips. I used small complys with a large apple tip. Works perfectly. Case closes.

Last edited:

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
So I have done the Comply Medium Tips on mine. The fit is much better and they slide out of my ears slower but do still slide out over time. I may need to order a set of small set but I have a questions.....

***What holds the APP's in you ear? Is it the tip or the ear pushing the frame into the ear canal?*** I am looking at other additions to make them stay in like grippy clear strips but trying to figure out the ergonomics of the fit. The AirPods 1&2 clearly fit differently and I never had an issue. The APP's over time seem to slide out. (and yes I have cleaned my ears even with alcohol) Just trying to figure out if I am fighting the correct spot.

TIA

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England

View attachment 882037
Yep my Symbio W large tips arrived today. I fitted them to my large Apple tips and I can confirm that they work with good NC, register a successful seal test and fit perfectly inside the case. I have a pair of mediums on order to try them

Reactions: mavis

markl9

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
London, UK
My Symbio mediums arrived today and fitted them to the medium silicon tips, fit great and a definite improvement in ear. Still holding out for some Comply tips as I'd like to ditch silicon completely as it tends to make my ears itch over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.