Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Didn't include "because we will slow your old one down" huh?
I can’t speak for anyone but myself but, my iPhone 11 hadn’t slowed down in any way. The battery was down to 82% Maximum Capacity, so I was wondering whether to simply get a new battery or to upgrade. In February I upgraded to a 15 Pro Max. I was ready for a newer model (with a bigger screen) and for some better camera features. I’m quite happy with it. A friend is equally happy with my iPhone 11 (with a new third-party battery I got fitted).
I’ve never had any issues with my iPhones (since 2008) or iPads (since 2010) suffering from slowdowns.
😎🇮🇪☘️

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This is the first time I've ever kept an iPhone (13PM) for a third year, and I'm 99.9% gonna be keeping it a fourth based on current rumors.

I'd honestly be just fine with an iPhone XR. The jumps between years are just not big enough now that the smartphone market has matured. My camera still kicks ass, my battery still kicks ass, it's hella fast, I have ProMotion (the last reason I upgraded)... Why upgrade?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t speak for anyone but myself but, my iPhone 11 hadn’t slowed down in any way. The battery was down to 82% Maximum Capacity, so I was wondering whether to simply get a new battery or to upgrade. In February I upgraded to a 15 Pro Max. I was ready for a newer model (with a bigger screen) and for some better camera features. I’m quite happy with it. A friend is equally happy with my iPhone 11 (with a new third-party battery I got fitted).
I’ve never had any issues with my iPhones (since 2008) or iPads (since 2010) suffering from slowdowns.
😎🇮🇪☘️
I would say replace the battery, but it’s possible Apple could say next year that only the iPhone 12 and up will get iOS 19 similar to what they did when they also dropped the iPhone 7 in addition to the iPhone 6s. So the Xs, XR and 11 lineup could be dropped at the same time?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
All you meddling kids with your new fangled phones and your mangey dog. Get off my lawn.

IMG_5872.jpg

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I mean now a days these phones especially the Max versions last so long that you can easily go 5 plus years with them without a hitch. My wife has a 12 mini and of course the battery is going on it but we all know why. She loves the portability of it so I totally get it and will just have the battery replaced but oh how I wish we would have waited and gotten her a 13 mini instead.

I also used to upgrade more frequently but my God was that pricey…. I simply have no desire to be throwing $1000.00 plus to Apple every 2 years just to have a new shiny phone. Those who want to and have the cash wad to do it bless them, but not me.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
The dull iPhone 15 colors and lack of a physical SIM card tray are two more reasons not to upgrade.
Yup, and I soooo wish that they had a (PRODUCT) red one just like they did for what I upgraded from (XR) to what I upgraded to (15)

Just watch them add something like that now to the spring color additions that they do

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The processors Apple make, and the longevity of update support can create a pretty slow sales cycle, not to mention the outrageous retail prices for their phones now.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Most phone contracts are 2 years where I am at. So for us it makes sense to wait at least 2-3 generations before upgrading with discounts on new phones through our providers.

There isn’t a lot of dramatic upgrade differences each year making it comforting to know our phones aren’t already outdated after a year.

Most people don’t upgrade their phones each year…. And i presume the general public is more obsessed with camera and video advancements on their phones for selfies and insta videos than about processors and storage.

So I see this iPhone upgrade trend as corresponding to market demands.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Yup, and to think that it all started a whopping 7 years ago now with the iPhone X being over $1000
The processors of the outrageous prices? I feel like the A9 in the iPhone 6S was the major turning point in performance for 64-bit iPhones. That was the first iPhone generation that never felt slow to me.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
What reasons will a 15 PM owner will have to get a 16 PM in a few months?
That's the real question...

There 0 reasons for the hardware of the 15 PM to handle 100% of the software features in iOS 18.
(Zoom and a few other capabilities of the camera don't count..)

AeroEd

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
I was using an XS until it suddenly got real bad this year. The battery started acting sketchy. I was mulling over paying the $90 to replace the battery or forking up for a new iphone. Ended up buying an iphone 13 from a fire sale deal target had. TBH while I was dragging my feet I switched daily driver duty over to my android phone and found I actually... preferred it? Aside from the apple watch not working with it lol.
How dare you lol

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I put in my old phone (11 Pro) and new one (15 Pro). Right at the top it says it has 2x the storage... of course I traded in a 256GB phone and got a base 128GB this time. Their footnote states they are comparing starting capacity, but even in 2019 64GB was pointless, so I had to pay for an upgrade and of course there was no 128GB tier. So in reality the useful starting capacity went from 256GB down to 128GB. But hey, now I have dynamic island going for me as well as a bunch of Lightning cables I'll never use again. </s>

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
It’s hilarious how they don’t put the iPhone 13 lineup in the comparaison. Must be not enough changes :p

I guess I lost my reason to upgrade my 13 Pro since Apple can't find a reason to!

To me, the most interesting thing is that Apple won't even show the previous 2 generations in there...

Not enough meaningful changes to justify spending so much. It’s Apple quietly acknowledging that they’re not adding enough changes in recent models to hook someone with a two-year-old iPhone to upgrade. Something that would’ve been no problem years ago.

Weird that it doesn't include iPhone 13/14. I guess that just confirms that there is no reason to upgrade from my 13 Pro.
Well, Apple is still selling the iPhone 13, iPhone 14, and 14 Plus. Why would they even mention those series under then upgrade from.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Imagine a combination in dropdown menu there is an easter egg... just in time for easter

Look, we need to increase sales. The shareholders are so so demanding. Please just buy a new iPhone... the one you have is great, but its last years model. Who wants that. You know you want a new iPhone. Go on, you want it... the experience of opening up a new iPhone
How strange that a company would want to, you know…sell products.

People are really put into strange contortions to justify their malice toward this company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.