Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
How strange that a company would want to, you know…sell products.

People are really put into strange contortions to justify their malice toward this company.
I have no malice, I have more Apple devices than from any other company. I might even be invested somewhat in Apple 🧐

I just find it funny... but you have taken offence and taken it personally. Of course they want to sell products.. but a premium company should sell products without having to spell it out or look desperate. They clearly are unhappy with current sales.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I guess not including my 13PM in that comparison means that even Apple thinks it's not worthwhile the upgrade to the 15PM ...
I just last week got my 13PM replaced thru AC+, so with battery health back to 100%, the 16PM gotta have some real wow factor ;)

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
My 14 PM is still going strong! But when the iPhone 16 comes out, I may bite the bullet and upgrade to the 15 PM.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Well, Apple is still selling the iPhone 13, iPhone 14, and 14 Plus. Why would they even mention those series under then upgrade from.
Because they’d want to show off the amazing new improvements of the 15s over the 13s and 14s!

Because they want to induce people to upgrade to a newer model.

Because they want shoppers considering the 13, 14, and 15 to go for the pricier, greater profit model.

Yet, the fact they don't make the comparisons suggests, as others have noted, is because they realize how little there is to show for them. Or, to put it more positively, because they realize how much more dramatic the 11-12 to 15 jump is. They likely have some market research suggesting many are still holding on to those phones.

Oddly, too, they only highlight upgrading from the 11s or 12s! Yet, there are clear differences, substantial ones, even greater ones with many older models, including the iPhone 10s and SEs! They've disregarded the millions who have them (e.g., SE 2016 and 2020) and who might be interested in something new — or those who feel their older phones are getting long-in-the-tooth — or who are desiring some newer major features on the 15!

There is, of course, their long-running comparison tool, but it generates a long scrolling table without Apple's catchy advert skills and difference highlighting. I'll bet they're going to expand the upgrade tool to include more models!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
People are starting to wake up. Tech won’t make us happy.
Well, I think tech makes us actually happy, but smartphone/tablet/computer tech has reached a plateau. So now people is happy with their 3 or 4 year old iPhone, and don’t see the need to upgrade.

And for me that’s always been the strongest selling point: I can get an iPhone and expect a life of 5 or 6 or even 7 years out of it.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Amusingly, the comparison page says “On your new iPhone, your apps and data will look and feel the same”. No reason to upgrade then?

I was planning to point out the exact same thing.

It's not really a criticism, these things have matured at a really high level, but I genuinely think Apple needs to prioritise software for a bit.

I can't recall a single new feature over the last few years that I've been truly excited about. There's been some good quality of life improvements, some of which I've seen elsewhere first, and some stuff that just wasn't for me, which is fair enough.

Their general awkwardness and poor presentation aside, even the last few Android launches had more interesting stuff than iOS. If I wasn't so invested in the Apple ecosystem I'd probably consider trying something else for a bit.

But I'm sure we'll get me emojis, so there's hope.

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Apple's reasons to upgrade from 11 Pro Max to 15 Pro Max:

1. Camera - duh
2. USB-C
3. I can buy more storage (see 1.)
4. GPU is twice as fast (in 5 generations? Not that impressive.)

I'm glad I saw this. Now I'm more comfortable waiting for the 16. If Apple wanted me to upgrade sooner they shouldn't have put shuch an amazing battery in my 11. It has been an incredibly good phone.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Yet, the fact they don't make the comparisons suggests, as others have noted, is because they realize how little there is to show for them. Or, to put it more positively, because they realize how much more dramatic the 11-12 to 15 jump is. They likely have some market research suggesting many are still holding on to those phones.

Oddly, too, they only highlight upgrading from the 11s or 12s! Yet, there are clear differences, substantial ones, even greater ones with many older models, including the iPhone 10s and SEs! They've disregarded the millions who have them (e.g., SE 2016 and 2020) and who might be interested in something new — or those who feel their older phones are getting long-in-the-tooth — or who are desiring some newer major features on the 15!

There is, of course, their long-running comparison tool, but it generates a long scrolling table without Apple's catchy advert skills and difference highlighting. I'll bet they're going to expand the upgrade tool to include more models!
I'm not particular fond with the design layout of the comparison. To me I upgrade every year however I still hold on to all the previous models for other use. These days I have the 15 Pro as daily driver, 12 Pro and 11 Pro for web browsing and watching video at home. While the 12 Pro and 11 Pro are still solid in every aspect, the refinement on the 15 Pro is certainly outweighs previous models.
In recent years, I believe the 14 Pro was the worst iPhone I have ever used. Mainly the weight and dodgy battery life.

• Disagree
Reactions: macman01101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.