Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I thought Tesco said they were rolling out limitless Apple Pay this year anyway?

Until they do, I just split my shopping and do multiple self service checkouts when necessary. Hopefully it costs them extra transaction fees! Serves them right for being such curmudgeons! Pretty much every other shop I go to supports unlimited Apple Pay. :rolleyes:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Until they do, I just split my shopping and do multiple self service checkouts when necessary. Hopefully it costs them extra transaction fees! Serves them right for being such curmudgeons! Pretty much every other shop I go to supports unlimited Apple Pay. :rolleyes:

I’m not sure if Asda does either. Yesterday I went shopping and my total bill was close to £80. My Apple Watch didn’t work at the self checkout terminal. Luckily I had the card with me. And I’m one of them who never ever carries their cards anywhere.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I’m not sure if Asda does either. Yesterday I went shopping and my total bill was close to £80. My Apple Watch didn’t work at the self checkout terminal. Luckily I had the card with me. And I’m one of them who never ever carries their cards anywhere.
I’ve had the same at Asda, PITA

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Asda (being part of Walmart) is quite anti-Apple/Google Pay, they've always enforced it at the contactless limit. There is new signage in Asda advertising the £45 limit now.

Reactions: akash.nu

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland

Yeah I don't often shop at Asda - it's usually Lidl, Morrison's or Tesco and occasionally Sainsbury's. All but Tesco allow limitless Apple Pay. I also get fuel at Morrison's or Sainsbury's because they too allow limitless Apple Pay. Tesco are definitely losing out financially by continuing this nonsense.

Reactions: d123

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Yeah I don't often shop at Asda - it's usually Lidl, Morrison's or Tesco and occasionally Sainsbury's. All but Tesco allow limitless Apple Pay. I also get fuel at Morrison's or Sainsbury's because they too allow limitless Apple Pay. Tesco are definitely losing out financially by continuing this nonsense.
Tesco’s catches me out every time when it declines my attempt to contactless pay using my watch. They need to catch up with the times

Reactions: d123

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Tesco’s catches me out every time when it declines my attempt to contactless pay using my watch. They need to catch up with the times

Same problem at Asda, I've spent £46 and £48 recently so both fail on watch, it's annoying to have to get my wallet out, put the card in the machine and then type in pin for the sake of a couple of £'s, especially at this time with Covid-19 out there.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
There is a chance, within the next few weeks, some Tesco PFS sites *may* allow for Apple Pay for more than £30 when they update the software to accept contactless up to £45.

I don’t know when, or which stores, but I got the impression it would be a gradual roll out.

Here’s hoping ??

john9876

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
Morrisons is arguably worse than Tesco or Asda - they claim to support limitless Apple Pay but none of the tills at my local store have ever worked with Apple Pay. I've complained a few times and they always say it must be a temporary issue with a particular till. More like all of them, for at least a couple of years. Really winds me up when I see the Apple Pay logo plastered on the terminals as I forget how hopeless they are, try Apple Pay as normal, have it fail, hold up the queue as I find a physical card, probably wait for the assistant to reset the payment, put the physical card in the reader, type in my PIN, wait...
Fortunately I use Waitrose more frequently. Their tills have worked flawlessly with Apple Pay since day one.

Last edited:

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Morrisons is arguably worse than Tesco or Asda - they claim to support limitless Apple Pay but none of the tills at my local store have ever worked with Apple Pay. I've complained a few times and they always say it must be a temporary issue with a particular till. More like all of them, for at least a couple of years. Really winds me up when I see the Apple Pay logo plastered on the terminals as I forget how hopeless they are, try Apple Pay as normal, have it fail, hold up the queue as I find a physical card, probably wait for the assistant to reset the payment, put the physical card in the reader, type in my PIN, wait...
Fortunately I use Waitrose more frequently. Their tills have worked flawlessly with Apple Pay since day one.

Wonder if your local store has ever had their SACATs upgraded? The only I (rarely) use in Derby seems to have relatively new ones and they’ve never been a problem.

It’s been some time now since I moved away from the area but the Co-Op up the road from me would work fine one minute and be an complete and utter ar5e the next?. Haven’t been in a long time so it could well be fine these days.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Amex in Asda seems to not work again, I remember a few years back it didn’t, then it did, and now it doesn’t again. Even standard contactless with the actual Amex card doesn’t seem to work - I have to use PIN.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

I've never had a problem in Morrisons, in at least 3 or 4 different branches.

Reactions: iGeek2019

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
I was able to pay over £46 with Pay at Tesco in Blackburn this morning, using the self-service checkout. ??

The Tesco I work in hasn’t caught up yet but it’s a step in the right direction. It’s probably been mentioned here before in the past but Waitrose have a £10,000 limit for Apple, Google and Samsung Pay ?

Reactions: Donfor39 and berno

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Once I commit to Electric Tooth brush with some Sainsbury's groceries.
Is 40-50 pounds going to be accepted via iPhone or watch.

Sainsbury's have offered ApplePay for a long time, as in years.

I took this photo in 2017.

AD85B7C8-4671-4D23-B85A-A446CD79270F.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.