Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
Let's be truthful. Not being able to change the temp is a really big deal. I have dumb vaporizer. I change the temperature every 10 minutes. Start out low, work up to higher temps. And, sure, the people who already downloaded the app are fine, but what about someone who is right now purchasing a Firefly and doesn't know that Apple banned these apps? What does this do for future sales of those products? Apple has effectively killed this product with this decision and have likely put a lot of people out of work.
I don't disagree at all, just pointing out you're going to be just fine. Interesting on changing the temp, I never do unless moving off flower...

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Ugh. You don't understand the problem. The devices which are controlled by the apps vaporize dry herb. There isn't a single case of a person who vapes dry herb being sent to the hospital with this vape illness. Every single person who's had this illness used vape cartridges. Vape cartridges are concentrated THC cut with some thinning agent to make them consumable. The thinning agent is the problem, not the TCH concentrate, so banning apps that control devices that use flower makes no sense at all, as it pertains to the recent health crisis.

Are those vape cartridges used in devices that can be controlled or programmed by an app running on an iPhone.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Lemmings. 15 years of vaping and overnight people start dying this is all way to fishy to me. On top of it all has anyone found the vapes bought from reputable retailers to be the cause??? Since those are the ones being banned all over so you know people will move back to black market vapes. Ughh.... Well executed big tobacco ppl are stupid..... no I dont smoke or vape either.

You nailed it. It was a ‘series of unfortunate events’ in the American illegal vaping cartridge market that lead to this. It’s why Europe hasn’t been having the same problem.

The cause is now identified and being removed from the legal market. Leafly has two excellent articles about the rise of Honey Cut, how it appeared and spread from the illegal THC vaping market and then to all illegal vaping including nicotine and then to even some legal operations.

Journey of a tainted vape cartridge: from China’s labs to your lungs https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/vape-pen-injury-supply-chain-investigation-leafly
From ‘Veronica Mars’ to toxic vapes: The rise and fall of Honey Cut https://www.leafly.com/news/health/...jury-rise-and-fall-of-vitamin-e-oil-honey-cut

Last edited:

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Are those vape cartridges used in devices that can be controlled or programmed by an app running on an iPhone.

Not sure. Most vape cartridges screw onto a battery. The batteries themselves are configurable for 3 different temps. I suppose it's possible there are more sophisticated batteries that allow precise temperature control. I wouldn't know. Too fancy for me.
[automerge]1573833705[/automerge]
I don't disagree at all, just pointing out you're going to be just fine. Interesting on changing the temp, I never do unless moving off flower...

Different canabanoids are unlocked at different temps. And the flavor is VERY different at lower temps than higher temps. Lower temps typically induce a more relaxing effect. Higher temps typically induce a more sedating effect. It's all a matter of what you want/need in that particular session.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
You're right. Smoke is harmful because it contains tar and other solids which carry harmful carcinogens. Vaporizing does not produce smoke. It produces....vapor. Vapor does not contain the solids that smoke carries, which is why vaporizing has become so popular.

I can tell you I've been vaping for >3 yrs. I am an endurance athlete. Vaping has not affected my endurance at all. And that's not just looking at subjective "feelings" or rating of perceived exertion. I track my health stats very closely. Weight, heart rate, sleep, body fat %, PO2, etc.
All true points. The vapor itself is not the issue, but in these cases...what’s in it. Is the outrage being directed at the wrong thing? Yeah...the focus isn’t where it should be. But they’re going for the low-hanging fruit.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
Whilst I wouldn’t mind if Vaping apps stayed in the App Store, I do think removing them seems wise because whilst vaping is supposedly better than normal smoking, it’s still not actually good for you.

People seem to use that argument to justify doing it as opposed to quitting altogether which is overall just better for your health and others no having to breathe in the often very sweet smelling clouds of smoke.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
All true points. The vapor itself is not the issue, but in these cases...what’s in it. Is the outrage being directed at the wrong thing? Yeah...the focus isn’t where it should be. But they’re going for the low-hanging fruit.

By going after the low hanging fruit, they are potentially pushing people into smoking cannabis instead of vaping it. Smoking is inherently more dangerous than vaping, so they are potentially causing a problem with this decision as opposed to solving one.

Again, they don't really have a clue about the facts of the matter and now they are essentially legislating the content of their app store based on a severe lack of knowledge or wisdom on the subject.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA

Nope. Most are “throwaways”, Cart affixed to a basic battery that doesn’t recharge.

A legit THC cart from a legit sourceranges anywhere from $40-$80, depending on size and brand/quality. And they usually (small exceptions) don’t come as a one piece throwaway.

The carts that are making people sick are like $20-$25. That is why even in marijuana-legal states, you still see some illnesses popping up. People think they’re getting a bargain. Also, in CA, and I assume other states, there are licensed dispensaries, and then there are the illegal shops, selling product that is not lab verified, and more often than not, illicit.

This is why I have such a problem with the way the US is handling this situation. I can’t tel you how many people have no idea what’s really going on. I would rather the gov spend resources on educating the public on what’s really happening, so that it may stop some people from buying the garbage that’s actually making people sick.
https://laist.com/2018/09/07/how_to_spot_las_many_many_many_illegal_pot_shops.php

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
By going after the low hanging fruit, they are potentially pushing people into smoking cannabis instead of vaping it. Smoking is inherently more dangerous than vaping, so they are potentially causing a problem with this decision as opposed to solving one.

Again, they don't really have a clue about the facts of the matter and now they are essentially legislating the content of their app store based on a severe lack of knowledge or wisdom on the subject.
Also true. Definitely don't disagree with that.

In terms of the App Store...since there is no age verification on it and anyone can get anything...I don't think the should allow apps that relate to tobacco, vaping, marijuana, or alcohol. Follow the same rules other content outlets have. If minors have easy access to the content platform...they need to crackdown on things that aren't meant for them. If they want to keep these apps on the App Store...put an age verification. Take an actual store for example. I will use Binny's as an example. The store nearest to us won't allow anyone under 21 in the store...period. For any reason. They can't go any farther than the second set of doors. They even have an employee standing there for that specific purpose. Our Walmart won't sell you alcohol if you have a minor with you. I saw that one just this week, in fact. Someone in front of me was buying beer. Had his kid with him. Cashier asked to see both his ID and the kid's. The kid was 18. Cashier wouldn't sell the alcohol to the adult as long as the kid was standing there. In terms of advertisements...you can't have a commercial that shows any of this stuff if it's a channel meant for kids. And I don't know if this is a national thing or just in my state...they can't even advertise for tobacco on commercials...on any channel. I don't even see ads for alcohol outside of certain times of the day...

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Some people can’t fart they days without needing an app to track it.

I realize you're just joking, but tracking farts is a thing. Just like tracking bowel movements. For people with IBS, Crohns, and those attempting elimination diets like FODMAP and lactose, farts and poop are very important.

Reactions: the johnmc

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
So Apple is cutting off access to legal vape information which is safe. It is the black market products that are dangerous.
Brilliant move, Timmy.

Reactions: decypher44

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Also true. Definitely don't disagree with that.

In terms of the App Store...since there is no age verification on it and anyone can get anything...I don't think the should allow apps that relate to tobacco, vaping, marijuana, or alcohol. Follow the same rules other content outlets have. If minors have easy access to the content platform...they need to crackdown on things that aren't meant for them. If they want to keep these apps on the App Store...put an age verification. Take an actual store for example. I will use Binny's as an example. The store nearest to us won't allow anyone under 21 in the store...period. For any reason. They can't go any farther than the second set of doors. They even have an employee standing there for that specific purpose. Our Walmart won't sell you alcohol if you have a minor with you. I saw that one just this week, in fact. Someone in front of me was buying beer. Had his kid with him. Cashier asked to see both his ID and the kid's. The kid was 18. Cashier wouldn't sell the alcohol to the adult as long as the kid was standing there. In terms of advertisements...you can't have a commercial that shows any of this stuff if it's a channel meant for kids. And I don't know if this is a national thing or just in my state...they can't even advertise for tobacco on commercials...on any channel. I don't even see ads for alcohol outside of certain times of the day...

There is age verification on the store. Parent's can set up limits as to what apps their child can/can't download. My son works at Walmart and I can attest to your statement about not allowing an adult to buy alcohol if certain minors are with them. But, again, there are parental limits that can be set which would prevent minors from obtaining these apps. These controls are already in place. When my son was younger, we had pretty severe restrictions on his iPod Touch. It worked really well.

And then he grew up....***sniff***

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Forgive the nitpicking, but yes, it is. Nicotine is a drug.

Edit: This isn't advocacy for Apple's decision to ban the apps; I think that's silly (and I also think vaping is silly) and likely to have about zero impact. And if it does happen to reduce vaping use, that's probably bad for public health, because vaping looks so far to be less harmful than cigarette smoking. When vaping products are banned (not by Apple; I'm talking governments here), cigarette usage is likely to go up.

My unsolicited advice: Don't smoke. Don't vape. But if you must do one of the two, vape instead of smoke. And use legal vaping products, provided they still exist.

So is caffeine. Are we going to start carding teenagers at starbucks next?

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
The good news is that you have the power to do something about that horrible situation.

Simply commit to purchasing tech products from companies that don't engage in what you find so egregious. If I were to find myself in similar shoes, I'd be embarrassed if I were not able to muster the will to do so.

One step ahead of you, pal. I'm only on this forum because I support Apple technologies at work and have to stay up to date as to what the company is doing. I don't own anything made by Apple anymore.

Reactions: Marekul

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There is age verification on the store. Parent's can set up limits as to what apps their child can/can't download. My son works at Walmart and I can attest to your statement about not allowing an adult to buy alcohol if certain minors are with them. But, again, there are parental limits that can be set which would prevent minors from obtaining these apps. These controls are already in place. When my son was younger, we had pretty severe restrictions on his iPod Touch. It worked really well.

And then he grew up....***sniff***
I was aware of parents setting limits. Set those up myself as well! I guess I’m looking at from the perspective of Apple creating an age verification independent of what you set up. Maybe as like a default and then YOU go on and build onto it whatever extra restriction you think is necessary. Basically an extra, extra step which would also help them cover their own butt. (Which admittedly is what the move they’re making here, comes across as). I think people wouldn’t be as upset had they done it that way instead...

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I was aware of parents setting limits. Set those up myself as well! I guess I’m looking at from the perspective of Apple creating an age verification independent of what you set up. Maybe as like a default and then YOU go on and build onto it whatever extra restriction you think is necessary. Basically an extra, extra step which would also help them cover their own butt. (Which admittedly is what the move they’re making here, comes across as). I think people wouldn’t be as upset had they done it that way instead...

I think a lot of people could get behind that. I certainly would.

Thanks for the conversation. I appreciate a nice, civil debate. :)

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I think a lot of people could get behind that. I certainly would.

Thanks for the conversation. I appreciate a nice, civil debate. :)
Definitely! It could just be seen as an added “security” step, which in this day and age in general...isn’t a bad thing! Peace of mind for parents...less risk of liability on Apple’s part. Win-win!

And thanks to you as well!

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I get Apple can do whatever they want in their Store, but this is stupid.

An app had no influence over my decision to smoke/vape.

This is exactly why my family and everyone I know is shying away from Apple products. We don't need Apple to be our nanny.

And get this. I do NOT smoke or vape, and I ever have. But freedom is about tolerance of others and this is just another reduction of freedom positioned as "saving the children", "saving the world", "saving the individual", or whatever other excuse works to reduce freedom of choice by the intolerant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.