Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch Ultra (AWU) Band Did You Get?

• Alpine

Votes: 155 34.4%
  • Trail

Votes: 90 20.0%
  • Ocean

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • Multiple AWU Bands

Votes: 84 18.6%

• Total voters

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
The Alpine Loop would be a good choice for someone who wants a soft, adjustable fabric band but doesn’t like Velcro.
I love that description. That's how I thought of it too.

I have the Sports loop (for Series 4 watch) which I like for the comfort but dislike for the looks. Yet, it was the one I used for 4 years. I upgraded to the Ultra and bought the Alpine loop with it. It's comfortable. I also bought separately the Ocean band which I think is actually a lot nicer looking but not as comfortable especially for wearing to bed. I change bands occasionally. I feel when I want a nicer look, I use the Ocean loop. I sometimes use the Ocean loop for exercise too (running) as it's easier to wash and dries immediately.

Reactions: the future

Onsight72

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
I mentioned before that I found the alpine loop difficult to put on when I tried it at the Apple Store but this could be because I am not used to it and it was too small. I got a orange alpine loop the other day and although I find it slightly more trickier than the other two types, there is not a lot in it, I have found that the more times I put it on and off, the easier it becomes.

Here is what I have found;

Best for micro adjustment - Trail Loop.
Best for working out and getting wet - Ocean Band.
Best looking - Orange Alpine Band. (that's just my opinion)
Most comfortable - Trail Loop.
Most Durable - Ocean Band.
Go to strap day to day - Trail Loop.
Ease of taking on and off - I would say the Ocean Band just because of the tongue and buckle but there is not a lot in it, the others are easy enough.

As always, the above are just my observations and experiences.

I have;

2 x Ocean Band (Midnight and Yellow)
1 x Trail Loop (Grey/Blue)
1 x Alpine Band (Orange)

I did have a Black and Grey trail loop on order but cancelled it because I don't think I need it so much now.
I am similar….

1 x Ocean Band (Midnight)
1 x Trail Loop (Black/Grey)
1 x Alpine Band (Green)

I may have my wife get me the orange alpine band and the blue/grey trail loop for my birthday. We’ll see.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of my daily go-to band. In my case, it is the alpine band. And having had it since launch day, granted it took a few days, but I find it very easy to get on and off.

I have use cases for all three bands and am glad that i have all three.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I am similar….

1 x Ocean Band (Midnight)
1 x Alpine Band (Green)

I may have my wife get me the orange alpine band and the blue/grey trail loop for my birthday. We’ll see.

[…]

Assuming one of the bands came with the watch, you shelled out $200 for the additional bands. That’s almost a watch :)

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I find that changing the strap changes the watch, so in real terms, it is cheaper. I get where you are coming from though.
I hear ya and I get it. My Watch came with the Alpine loop and I bought an additional Ocean band for it. Of the 3 band options that Apple provide for the Ultra, I think the Ocean loop in Midnight looks the most "formal". I mean...there are limits; after all, how formal can one get with essentially rubber looking strap :) It's not really that formal, just a little less casual than the other two loops.

I like to wear the Alpine loop to bed and do sometimes wear as dailywear. When I go to the office, I prefer wearing the Ultra with the Ocean loop.

(I actually have been tempted to get the black Trail loop with the orange tab but I don't think I could justify it for the price when I already have two other bands.)

Onsight72

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Assuming one of the bands came with the watch, you shelled out $200 for the additional bands. That’s almost a watch :)
Yes. I have what one may call an unhealthy obsession with collecting Apple Watch bands. 😂 Granted, I do change my bands almost daily. That is one thing I love about the Apple Watch is the ability to change the look of the watch in just seconds.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yes. I have what one may call an unhealthy obsession with collecting Apple Watch bands. 😂 Granted, I do change my bands almost daily. That is one thing I love about the Apple Watch is the ability to change the look of the watch in just seconds.
Heh, nice :) One that I've been tempted with is the braided solo loop, but they are also expensive at $100 a pop.

Reactions: seajewel

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I went with the midnight ocean band as I just liked it better visually and I think it will hold up better for me since I'm a sweaty crossfitter and I plan to sweat with it.

The Trail Loop was very comfortable when I tried it at the Apple store and probably a lot more comfortable than the ocean band. Another thing to note is when using my Macbook, the ocean band feels extremely uncomfortable and the titanium clasp rests against the Macbook and it might scratch it.

I don't think the trail loop is worth the price though. It's the same price as the Umber Leather Link and if I'm going to use a band outside of workouts I will definitely go for the Umber Leather Link as it's a lot more premium.

Onsight72

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
I went with the midnight ocean band as I just liked it better visually and I think it will hold up better for me since I'm a sweaty crossfitter and I plan to sweat with it.

The Trail Loop was very comfortable when I tried it at the Apple store and probably a lot more comfortable than the ocean band. Another thing to note is when using my Macbook, the ocean band feels extremely uncomfortable and the titanium clasp rests against the Macbook and it might scratch it.

I don't think the trail loop is worth the price though. It's the same price as the Umber Leather Link and if I'm going to use a band outside of workouts I will definitely go for the Umber Leather Link as it's a lot more premium.
I have the umber leather loop too and it looks amazing on the Ultra, especially if you want to dress it up a little.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I’ve been waiting to pick up another Trail Loop, with a gift card I have from Best Buy but they still only have the Apline Loop and Ocean bands available. Looks like they’re starting to pop up on Amazon and a few other sites online. Does anyone happen to know when Best Buy will receive inventory of the Trail Loop Watch bands? Currently the Trail Loop (band only) isn’t even listed on Bestbuy.com.

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
My Black/Grey S/M Trail Loop was estimated for delivery between Nov 7th - 14th.
I have just been charged for it and have a delivery date of Nov 3rd.
This was ordered direct from the UK Apple Store.
I just found it was available for 2h delivery today from my local store. Ordered!

Reactions: D1G1TALR0B0T

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Ok so I went ahead and bought the trail loop today and it's SOOOOOO comfortable and looks good too. Compared to the ocean band is on another level in terms of comfort and also using the macbook with it feels amazing and you don't even feel the watch at all.

I will still keep the ocean band for workouts tho. I also tried the black umber leather loop in store today and it looked amazing and felt extremely comfortable, but was out of stock so I ordered one as well. Splurge season...

D1G1TALR0B0T

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
My Trail Loop arrived, it’s definitely the most comfortable band.

174dd647270a63c152536c4922548597.jpg

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This has me curious...I know it's 3rd party, seeing a lot more of these on Amazon now. Just wondering if these are pure junk (4 pack "Ocean" for $20.99 - *with the $3 dollar coupon added) or worth it. Anyone try these Ocean knock offs yet?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.47.59 AM.png

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I’ve been wearing the green alpine loop for about a week now and I’m starting to really like it. I also have the ocean band and the alpine loop which I typically wear during workouts. I’ve seen alot of posts online warning to size the Alpine band accordingly to avoid wearing the G hook on the bottom to prevent scratching other surfaces, but it hasn’t been a issue for me at all and I have yet to see any scratches on my MacBook Pro. I’m wondering if this is really even factual?

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Mine came with the green alpine loop, I tried the ocean, black/grey and blue/grey trail bands and returned all 3.
Like the green alpine the best.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I’ve been wearing the green alpine loop for about a week now and I’m starting to really like it. I also have the ocean band and the alpine loop which I typically wear during workouts. I’ve seen alot of posts online warning to size the Alpine band accordingly to avoid wearing the G hook on the bottom to prevent scratching other surfaces, but it hasn’t been a issue for me at all and I have yet to see any scratches on my MacBook Pro. I’m wondering if this is really even factual

I just personally stopped using the ocean band as soon as I realized it rests on my MacBook. Didn't wanna risk it, but besides that it feels extremely uncomfortable to use the laptop when the band sits on it.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I just personally stopped using the ocean band as soon as I realized it rests on my MacBook. Didn't wanna risk it, but besides that it feels extremely uncomfortable to use the laptop when the band sits on it.
I think maybe it’s not an issue for me because I don‘t have a tendency to rest my wrist on my laptop, just my palm.

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
I bought
1 x Ocean Band (Midnight) with extension (for scuba diving next summer)
and received the Alpine Band (Green) with the watch.

The Alpine Band is the most comfortable, followed by the Trail Loop. I find myself adjusting the Trail Loop more often than the Alpine Band, because I seem to have difficulty in finding the perfect fit (not too tight or loose).

I'm using the Trail Loop for the gym, Ocean Band for water sports and Alpine Band for hiking. Day-to-day in the office I wear either the Alpine Band or Trail Loop. People notice the orange latch on the Trail Loop and ask what it is for. For discretion, I tend to go with the green Alpine Loop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.