Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch Ultra (AWU) Band Did You Get?

• Alpine

Votes: 155 34.4%
  • Trail

Votes: 90 20.0%
  • Ocean

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • Multiple AWU Bands

Votes: 84 18.6%

• Total voters

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Both the black/grey and grey/blue I have are like that… not sure what to tell them as any replacement will probably do the same thing.
I bought both and returned them, sticking with my green alpine, got a Black sport band new for $25AUD off FBM, just wanted a all real black colour band for some times.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just got a Trail Loop. Wow so much more comfortable than the Ocean Band. I will start the Ocean Band if I’m ever in the pool though or for heavier sporting events.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I crack up and all just don’t understand some of you. These trial loop ******** complaints about the Velcro. Come on, do you really have nothing better to do? It’s Velcro, it pulls it’s just part of owning a Velcro band. The nicest watches on the planet like Richard Mille have Velcro straps that do the exact same thing. Move on please so I don’t have to scroll through this garbage anymore. Return it or whatever you need to, but Apple owes you nothing.

pirateninjae

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I crack up and all just don’t understand some of you. These trial loop ******** complaints about the Velcro. Come on, do you really have nothing better to do? It’s Velcro, it pulls it’s just part of owning a Velcro band. The nicest watches on the planet like Richard Mille have Velcro straps that do the exact same thing. Move on please so I don’t have to scroll through this garbage anymore. Return it or whatever you need to, but Apple owes you nothing.
Yeah, it is interesting to see the reactions in this forum. I get it that the price point of the watch and bands are higher than what most people are accustomed to and thus expect a very high quality product, but in the world of watches, the price point is just considered low-mid to mid tier. What you get for the price I think is a very good value (especially when compared to other smart watches), but the finish and durability is no where near what some of the higher price point mechanical watches are at.

It is also interesting to read people's reactions when the watch receives a slight scratch or something is off due to wear and tear. I don't know... over time one should expect some wear and tear with these kind of products. Especially, and I hate the state the obvious, a disposable product like a smart watch. It isn't like the watch has shoddy build or anything. These are just normal everyday physical changes from the environment. It seems these comments are coming from desk warriors (again nothing wrong with owning an Ultra no matter your use case). The Ultra is great in many ways and anyone should be free to buy one, but it seems people with little experience expect the world out of the watch. It's like the watch is the equivalent of a mall crawler for many people, where its "rugged" but never sees action and they flip out on the slightest physical change. But if you take these cars out on something like a forest or BLM land, its going to get scratched up anyway. The big pro is that although they are going to get dinged up, they can take a beating and still work. That's the appeal of these type of products. It isn't built with the priority of keeping the case or its accessories pristine; it is built to ensure it keeps functioning for the environment it is made for.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yeah, it is interesting to see the reactions in this forum. I get it that the price point of the watch and bands are higher than what most people are accustomed to and thus expect a very high quality product, but in the world of watches, the price point is just considered low-mid to mid tier. What you get for the price I think is a very good value (especially when compared to other smart watches), but the finish and durability is no where near what some of the higher price point mechanical watches are at.

It is also interesting to read people's reactions when the watch receives a slight scratch or something is off due to wear and tear. I don't know... over time one should expect some wear and tear with these kind of products. Especially, and I hate the state the obvious, a disposable product like a smart watch. It isn't like the watch has shoddy build or anything. These are just normal everyday physical changes from the environment. It seems these comments are coming from desk warriors (again nothing wrong with owning an Ultra no matter your use case). The Ultra is great in many ways and anyone should be free to buy one, but it seems people with little experience expect the world out of the watch. It's like the watch is the equivalent of a mall crawler for many people, where its "rugged" but never sees action and they flip out on the slightest physical change. But if you take these cars out on something like a forest or BLM land, its going to get scratched up anyway. The big pro is that although they are going to get dinged up, they can take a beating and still work. That's the appeal of these type of products. It isn't built with the priority of keeping the case or its accessories pristine; it is built to ensure it keeps functioning for the environment it is made for.

Couldn’t agree more!

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I crack up when people defend Apple and their $100 piece of terrible Velcro material strap that probably cost $.25 to make

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I crack up when people defend Apple and their $100 piece of terrible Velcro material strap that probably cost $.25 to make

Then where was all the bitching about the sport loop that does the same damn thing?

I am also not defending anything. I didn’t have unrealistic expectations of how a Velcro watch band should hold up. So no defending, just stating the facts of how Velcro behaves

memento mori

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
I ordered my AWU with the ocean band and resonate with the members who are saying it is too small, I'm between 3rd and 2nd to last holes, depending on how hot I am. Seems like there is a limited amount of the trail loops so I will get the Alpine either in orange or starlight.

Kinda weird that the one size for the ocean band is so small, the AWU being the chonker it is, I can think of quite a few people who would be able to pull off the thickness of AWU and be forced to buy the band extension.

pirateninjae

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
l
I ordered my AWU with the ocean band and resonate with the members who are saying it is too small, I'm between 3rd and 2nd to last holes, depending on how hot I am. Seems like there is a limited amount of the trail loops so I will get the Alpine either in orange or starlight.

Kinda weird that the one size for the ocean band is so small, the AWU being the chonker it is, I can think of quite a few people who would be able to pull off the thickness of AWU and be forced to buy the band extension.
Have you seen the band extensions? They are very long and are meant to go around thick wet suits. They are definitely not made for everyday wear.

See this video

Reactions: memento mori

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Has anyone else had any issue with the Trail Loop causing a rash? It feels very soft, but it’s tending to cause a rash and itch on my wrist. Really sucks because I otherwise like it.

Wondering if my wrist will eventually adjust or if I just can’t wear it.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
Can I return an Apple Watch band that I bought online through Apple in a physical Apple Store? They gave me no receipt!

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Then where was all the bitching about the sport loop that does the same damn thing?

I am also not defending anything. I didn’t have unrealistic expectations of how a Velcro watch band should hold up. So no defending, just stating the facts of how Velcro behaves
I guess people have different expectations from a $50 band to a $100 one - at least I do.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I guess people have different expectations from a $50 band to a $100 one - at least I do.

Yes, but Velcro is Velcro. You spend a $1000 on Velcro band and it’s gonna pull. It’s just the nature of the material. Like I said, the $250 Richard Mille band with Velcro does the same exact thing.

Reactions: the future

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
Different strokes for different folks…. I hated the trail loop because of needed tightness to keep the Watch from sliding around on my wrist, I like the ocean band but it’s not as comfortable as the alpine which is my favorite of the Ultra bands.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Out of all the bands the Midnight Ocean band I had was fantastic. First off the thickness/chunkiness of the band covers up a little of the heft of the Ultra. Makes it look a little less out of place on a smaller wrist. The band was also surprisingly comfortable, I thought with the ridges it would not be pleasant but I didn't notice it at all. Black sport band is a excellent sport watch look, classic. Great band.

I also picked up a couple of the better amazon reproduction field bands and I like them also. Clever buckle. Only thing that bothered me is that if you aren't careful the metal buckle flying around as you put it on or take it off might scratch/chip the watch. I got a good "ding" once when it hit my stainless steel watch and I was much more careful after that. Nice light weight and comfortable.

I didn't end up keeping the ultra, too big for me.

As a watch enthusiast it's fun watching what apple does with their bands.

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020

Why so aggressive? They paid for it, it's below their expectation it's normal, if you think you pay a good deal, that's ok for you.

At least their complaints raise the awareness for people who are going to buy the trail loop. It's good.

It's funny when people praise Apple for making daily stuff so different (then pay for them), then when Apple makes something poor, people say "it's naturally bad", or "shut up and silently return it". Lol

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Why so aggressive? They paid for it, it's below their expectation it's normal, if you think you pay a good deal, that's ok for you.

At least their complaints raise the awareness for people who are going to buy the trail loop. It's good.

This is an over arching issue with new releases from Apple. People always have something to complain about. This has nothing to do with missed expectations. This is clearly no knowledge of the materials used in the band. Really tired of seeing people all over this site complaining about something they clearly don’t know how it works.

• Angry
Reactions: Farrellcollie

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Yes, but Velcro is Velcro. You spend a $1000 on Velcro band and it’s gonna pull. It’s just the nature of the material. Like I said, the $250 Richard Mille band with Velcro does the same exact thing.
and I would expect people to return it - or maybe others have money to burn on shoddy products. Why defend apple so hard -sometimes it is just wrong

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
and I would expect people to return it - or maybe others have money to burn on shoddy products. Why defend apple so hard -sometimes it is just wrong

I am not defending Apple, I am calling out the people (seems you included) for not knowing how the product is supposed to age. What should every person return every Velcro band because it pulls because that the nature of Velcro? That’s complete absurd. I don’t care if it’s Apples $99 band, or Richard Mille $250, or a $5 Walmart Velcro band. Velcro is Velcro. It’s not a bad product, as it works as intended. People should just understand how it works before purchasing because clearly they don’t understand. It’s not defective or bad design.

Reactions: the future

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
I am not defending Apple, I am calling out the people (seems you included) for not knowing how the product is supposed to age. What should every person return every Velcro band because it pulls because that the nature of Velcro? That’s complete absurd. I don’t care if it’s Apples $99 band, or Richard Mille $250, or a $5 Walmart Velcro band. Velcro is Velcro. It’s not a bad product, as it works as intended. People should just understand how it works before purchasing because clearly they don’t understand. It’s not defective or bad design.

Good quality velcro does not fray like that, sport loop is a good example :) and most people (included me) expect a $100 band should not age just after several days, I actually saw the problem after 3-4 days. Apple is known for paying attention to detail. If velcro were only velcro like you said, so Apple had no reason to sell a piece of velcro at $100 ;)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Good quality velcro does not fray like that, sport loop is a good example :) and most people (included me) expect a $100 band should not age just after several days, I actually saw the problem after 3-4 days. Apple is known for paying attention to detail. If velcro were only velcro like you said, so Apple had no reason to sell a piece of velcro at $100 ;)

The sport loop does the same exact thing. There is no fraying, the fabric pulls on the bottom half of the Velcro. There is no way to stop that with Velcro. Look very closely at the image below. This is a $250 retail strap from Richard Mille, that goes for closer to a $1000 on the used market. Take a real close look at the velcro. Looks exactly like the trial loop velcro.
0140ccf01c8c0177a5f40bdf9d5d9b29.jpg

Stop trying to make an issue where there is no issue. If you don’t like the product (cause clearly many of you have no clue how the product should behave), return it and be done. Most like myself have zero issues, and we rather enjoy the band. Move along and choose something else. It’s very simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.