Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch Ultra (AWU) Band Did You Get?

• Alpine

Votes: 155 34.4%
  • Trail

Votes: 90 20.0%
  • Ocean

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • Multiple AWU Bands

Votes: 84 18.6%

• Total voters

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
The sport loop does the same exact thing. There is no fraying, the fabric pulls on the bottom half of the Velcro. There is no way to stop that with Velcro. Look very closely at the image below. This is a $250 retail strap from Richard Mille, that goes for closer to a $1000 on the used market. Take a real close look at the velcro. Looks exactly like the trial loop velcro.
0140ccf01c8c0177a5f40bdf9d5d9b29.jpg

Stop trying to make an issue where there is no issue. If you don’t like the product (cause clearly many of you have no clue how the product should behave), return it and be done. Most like myself have zero issues, and we rather enjoy the band. Move along and choose something else. It’s very simple.

I said the sport loop does not fray that easy. We expect the same or better quality with a $100 band, that's simple. No complaints about sport loop with this issue over years. Why don't you take photos of sport loop as a comparison example? Because none of them is that bad.

It's simple too that you skip the posts mentioning the bad quality of trail loop.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I said the sport loop does not fray that easy. We expect the same or better quality with a $100 band, that's simple. No complaints about sport loop with this issue over years. Why don't you take photos of sport loop as a comparison example? Because none of them is that bad.

It's simple too that you skip the posts mentioning the bad quality of trail loop.

Oh I will happily take photos of my trail loop and show that it does just like everyone complaining here. I understand how Velcro works, so I have no issues with it. It’s how it’s made. When I get good lighting, I will happily show my sports loops as well, which do the exact same thing

• Angry

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Funny you never mentioned the band above that is $150 more than the trail loop, but since you ask. My sports loop. Exact same thing happened.

5bd74a3d6ddd7919b7d48a8a254b4f21.jpg
2878752c7e568d5173ac160df1dd3b4f.jpg

37a372dbfc31dfd78dfd9d1329ef051a.jpg

Clearly you can see the difference in what part was together and what wasn’t. Lighter color band, but you can clearly see the pulling just the same. Don’t tell me the sport loop doesn’t pull. It very clearly does.

Reactions: the future

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
Funny you never mentioned the band above that is $150 more than the trail loop, but since you ask. My sports loop. Exact same thing happened.

5bd74a3d6ddd7919b7d48a8a254b4f21.jpg
2878752c7e568d5173ac160df1dd3b4f.jpg

37a372dbfc31dfd78dfd9d1329ef051a.jpg

Clearly you can see the difference in what part was together and what wasn’t. Lighter color band, but you can clearly see the pulling just the same. Don’t tell me the sport loop doesn’t pull. It very clearly does.

Sorry, it doesn't look as bad as this :) You're having a great sport loop lol.

3a062567af8ef432e5c0b3a2ddef7922.jpg

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
What really? I haven’t seen those post. They are both titanium, how would the Ultra scratch more easily? Goodness. Funny thing is I have proven my point twice, and yet there is always some kind of excuse for it not being good enough. It’s laughable.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Sorry, it doesn't look as bad as this :) You're having a great sport loop lol.

3a062567af8ef432e5c0b3a2ddef7922.jpg

Clearly my post got deleted, so I will say it again. Your wrong. You only want to see things how you see them, but I have proven to you now 3 times how your wrong. It’s ok it happens to the best of us.

If you can’t see it, that’s a you problem, not on me. You haven’t shown any evidence that Velcro should behave any other way then it does on the trail loop.

If your so bent out of shape about it, return it, or did Apple tell you that you couldn’t? Clearly they see no issue, as I would deny a return on your grounds as well. Until you actually have some kind of evidence of your bogus claims, don’t bother trying to argue with me. It looks really bad on your part.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
I crack up and all just don’t understand some of you. These trial loop ******** complaints about the Velcro. Come on, do you really have nothing better to do? It’s Velcro, it pulls it’s just part of owning a Velcro band. The nicest watches on the planet like Richard Mille have Velcro straps that do the exact same thing. Move on please so I don’t have to scroll through this garbage anymore. Return it or whatever you need to, but Apple owes you nothing.
The velcro on my nike band become almost not usable it lost so much stickiness or whatever you call it lol, no frey though. I chucked it.

Last edited:

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
I have tried all the Ultra bands and the best imo is the alpine green my watch came with, luckily I bought it with it.
I did buy a new apple black sport band for $25AUD for when I want a all black band.
I'm done.

Reactions: danb1979

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The velcro on my nike band become almost not usable it lost so much stickiness or whatever you call it lol, no frey though. I chucked it.

Really? Surprised it was unusable, but clearly no fraying. I don’t think any bands are fraying lol. Pulling sure, but that Velcro.

antKampino

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2023
So surprised more people aren’t talking about your point regarding the titanium clasp/buckle brushing up against the edge of the casing/screen.

I was between sizes (M and L) and I decided to move up to a L, and that made the point I referenced above a bit easier, as when taking off the band now it doesn’t get as close to the screen with the extra length.

Additionally, as someone else pointed out, the larger size made the clasp/buckle not sit directly in the middle of my wrist, which has been a great change not having that thing scrape up against my MacBook or any other surface my wrists rest on.
What is the size of your wrist?

CR90

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
Really? Surprised it was unusable, but clearly no fraying. I don’t think any bands are fraying lol. Pulling sure, but that Velcro.
Had to return a trail loop that was fraying at the edge of the strap, nothing to do with the velcro. I may have been unlucky and had a defective one, there will always be some, but was really unimpressed so got the green alpine to go with the orange that came with the Watch.

gtjeta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Had to return a trail loop that was fraying at the edge of the strap, nothing to do with the velcro. I may have been unlucky and had a defective one, there will always be some, but was really unimpressed so got the green alpine to go with the orange that came with the Watch.

Yesterday I was able to have my trail loop returned in the Apple Store due to exactly the same problem, but they did not allow me to change to a different one, which I wanted, as I think it is a really bad material. I had problems both at the blue edge and next to the watch titanium attachment (in the bottom of the watch).

I hope this new one is better, as it is much softer than my ocean bands, and for every day use it would be great.

Baywatchboy

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Bought watch with green Alpine and bought an orange Alpine shortly after that. The orange band looks great and the Alpine bands are super comfortable. I had trouble with the hook at first (as many did), but now have zero issue and I feel the watch is on securely. They are my preferred day to day band. Got the midnight Ocean band and think it looks great, but I don't find it as comfortable as the Alpine, but it's not stopping me from ordering a second Ocean band. Just trying to decide which color to get (probably yellow for the POP factor). I don't normally wear my watch to bed, but if I did, it would not be with the Ocean, but rather one of my older sport bands.

No real interest in a Trail band.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I've stuck with the Orange Alpine strap for large wrists

The G hook I find really easy to use TBH and it's the comfiest strap... The Ocean strap wasn't comfy at all unfortunately; really liked the look of the yellow one but sent it back

I've ordered this today; want to see how it looks/feels

Wanted it for more of a dress watch look; a bit like my 50mm TW Steel watches etc

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I've stuck with the Orange Alpine strap for large wrists

The G hook I find really easy to use TBH and it's the comfiest strap... The Ocean strap wasn't comfy at all unfortunately; really liked the look of the yellow one but sent it back

I've ordered this today; want to see how it looks/feels

Wanted it for more of a dress watch look; a bit like my 50mm TW Steel watches etc

To updatel; I've returned that strap to Amazon UK

Too small for my wrists but then again I'm not of average size with all the weightlifting/stone lifting I do etc...

Sticking with the orange alpine strap for now but I have ordered this Spigen case/strap, so will report back:

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
I think most people have returned those Amazon titanium or titanium like bands. The Nomad Titanium is about the only choice……….at apple prices though. I haven’t ordered one because of the 2 month wait. I do have the SS version which I like. I would love to be able to tolerate the Apple SS link but it tears my wrist up with the sharp edges which I had to return. And yes most of those aftermarket straps are too small for my wrists also.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
I think most people have returned those Amazon titanium or titanium like bands. The Nomad Titanium is about the only choice……….at apple prices though. I haven’t ordered one because of the 2 month wait. I do have the SS version which I like. I would love to be able to tolerate the Apple SS link but it tears my wrist up with the sharp edges which I had to return. And yes most of those aftermarket straps are too small for my wrists also.
I have been wearing a titanium band from Amazon for the past month, which I feel is pretty good for the price ($70).

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 157

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017

Not Amazon but from Bezeli (probably same as other Chinese brand) for $70 I cannot complain. This band matches perfectly with my AWU and the link feels like real titanium and very light. A keeper for sure.
0dd82105f0a94e0f8eeac8be373a88ca.jpg

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
Well that’s encouraging…..have not seen many long term updates. Most I have read were sent back.
They look good and nice to see some lower cost keepers.
Do you think they really titanium or just stainless steel with a titanium looking finish?

Last edited:

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
Well that’s encouraging…..have not seen many long term updates. Most I have read were sent back.
Do you think they really titanium or just stainless steel with a titanium looking finish?
Check out my post I did a month ago.

I tried three different bands from Amazon and weighed them too. #1 and #2 both had some stainless steel in them (at a min the clasps were SS), but #3, the one I kept, I believe to be all titanium. At 52g, it weighs less than the Sandmarc band and the Nomad band. I would assume that to be because of the titanium and maybe not as thick as the more expensive bands, but it looks and wears nicely.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017

I don’t know anything about stainless steel or titanium bands as this is my first metal band.

Here’s how much this weigh
77941516b1c6bcfd2dee433c3766cfcd.jpg

62 grams

Reactions: Dguitarnut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.