Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
So stoked over this app finally coming to the App Store. Still remember buying a sub to builds.io and have having to install an enterprise certificate just to run this app back in the day.

Very excited, only wish there was a donate button so I could give the developer some $$.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
Nintendo 64? Yeah Nintendo might have a few comments about that.
As long as he makes no indication that the emulator is designed to work with copyrighted material, or instructions on how to use copyrighted materials, he should be fine.

If Nintendo REALLY wants to reduce copyright infringement they will make stronger hardware, release their titles on PC, and/or make their own emulation software better. Last I checked you still had the stupid boxes on the side of the screen.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
It's important to THANK the EU and Epic for contesting Apple's ******** practices and exerting pressure to make this happen, among other things.

Just proves pressure on a company is beneficial for the consumer.
Don’t thank Epic. I can tell you right now, epic didn’t do a damn thing with consumers in mind, unless it’s about getting more of consumers money. Here in the states, we don’t make regulation anymore. Instead, we sue based on 100+ year old laws rather than reach across the aisle and actually create meaningful and relevant laws

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
An emulator itself is legal. Nintendo lost that fight decades ago. Roms on the other hand. That’s more of a grey area.
Many many shades. There are of course Roms made by enthusiastic developers which are widely available, not copyrighted, and created with emulation in mind.

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
Don’t thank Epic. I can tell you right now, epic didn’t do a damn thing with consumers in mind, unless it’s about getting more of consumers money. Here in the states, we don’t make regulation anymore. Instead, we sue based on 100+ year old laws rather than reach across the aisle and actually create meaningful and relevant laws
Epic is just as money hungry and greedy like Apple. They deserve no thanks like you said, they couldn’t give two ***** about fairness to the consumer.

AiPone12mini

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
Tartu, Estonia, EU
It's important to THANK the EU and Epic for contesting Apple's ******** practices and exerting pressure to make this happen, among other things.

Just proves pressure on a company is beneficial for the consumer.
Sad that there is nothing to thank yet as in EU install is locked out, jailbreak needed or possibility to install .ipa without core technology fee trash.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I tried Mario Kart and Super Mario World 2 but the refresh rate makes me want to vomit 😖 it’s all flickering

Don't worry - if the weird display issues didn't get you, the input lag probably would've!

I just can't bring myself to play some games like platformers under software emulation, the feel just isn't right. Had to buy an Analogue Pocket to scratch my GB/C/A itch.

ace8cjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
The app is available in the United States and other countries, but it is not available in the European Union where it is instead being offered through an alternative app marketplace.

So hold up, you can *only* get it through the Alt Store in the EU, even though it’s technically now allowed in the regular App Store now?

Why didn’t Riley put it in the regular App Store too? I was told on these forums that Developers wouldn’t abandon the regular App Store because that’s where all the users have been trained to go.

Guess not… Now get ready to download alternative app stores for Meta, MS, Epic, and so on, when all these companies inevitably pull their apps from the App Store. Each with their own payment methods and no cost savings passed on to you.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So hold up, you can *only* get it through the Alt Store in the EU, even though it’s technically now allowed in the regular App Store now?

Why didn’t Riley put it in the regular App Store too? I was told on these forums that Developers wouldn’t abandon the regular App Store because that’s where all the users have been trained to go.

Guess not… Now get ready to download alternative app stores for Meta, MS, Epic, and so on, when all these companies inevitably pull their apps from the App Store. Each with their own payment methods and no cost savings passed on to you.

Apple makes them choose one or the other

Blame Apple, not the devs
It’s purely a choice Apple is forcing

I have been corrected -- my original post was inaccurate

Last edited:

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

You can't. It's one or the other.

Edit: Turns out this is false! You can distribute on the App Store and alternatives if you so choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: strongy

Atomicow

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.