Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Reactions: turbineseaplane

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Not in Australia either o_O
Then here’s hoping it just hasn’t shown up on the EU countries’ Apple App Stores yet, and will eventually. I don’t really recall having to go shopping in multiple places for applications as the “good old days”. Options are better when they don’t take away other options.

• Love
Reactions: amartinez1660

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Damn if that’s true what a bunch of hypocrites altstore ended up being.
It’s not them, it’s Apple. Apple is forcing any developer with an alternative App Store to pay a “Core Technology Fee” of €0.50 for each first annual install per year over a 1 million threshold for apps distributed outside of the iOS App Store. So if 2 million people install one app from the AltStore, the developers must pay Apple €1 million, despite Apple not being involved at all in hosting those apps on a server. Even if your app is free, you have to pay Apple.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I’ve no interest in playing games on my phone but would love to see openemu or provenance on the tvOS App Store

Sideloading works but resigning is a pain

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
They can't stop it, it's completely legal and has been available by sideloading through AltStore for years now. Nice to be able to install it via official channels, though I can't get that copy of it to let me sync with DropBox right now. It keeps crashing right after I tap 'Allow' in the DB popup.
Shame. It syncs fine through Google Drive.

Atomicow

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
It’s not them, it’s Apple. Apple is forcing any developer with an alternative App Store to pay a “Core Technology Fee” of €0.50 for each first annual install per year over a 1 million threshold for apps distributed outside of the iOS App Store. So if 2 million people install one app from the AltStore, the developers must pay Apple €1 million, despite Apple not being involved at all in hosting those apps on a server. Even if your app is free, you have to pay Apple.

If they had released it on the App Store instead, they wouldn’t have to pay a cent.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Quite a huge hit to battery life, fyi…As expected, but still, have a charger handy if you’re planning to play much.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
"Don’t complain about about fragmentation" they said. "If you don’t want alternative app stores, just don’t use them and nothing will change for you"

Well, there we go. Of course the stores will leverage exclusivity. So far, no benefits for customers.
...And just like I've been predicting for the past year and a half, "walled garden aficionados" would rather have no apps at all than accept apps on third party stores that would've never come to the app store regardless.

• Love

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
So hold up, you can *only* get it through the Alt Store in the EU, even though it’s technically now allowed in the regular App Store now?

Why didn’t Riley put it in the regular App Store too? I was told on these forums that Developers wouldn’t abandon the regular App Store because that’s where all the users have been trained to go.

Guess not… Now get ready to download alternative app stores for Meta, MS, Epic, and so on, when all these companies inevitably pull their apps from the App Store. Each with their own payment methods and no cost savings passed on to you.
Exactly

• Haha

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
For those writing "Not available in [one_of_the_EU_countries]", it won't!

The developer has made an explicit choice of releasing Delta only on the AltStore in EU.

While, for example, people from US will be able to install Delta on both iPhone and iPad, from the official Apple App Store, EU people can only install it from the Alt Store, and because the alternative stores are only available on iPhone and not iPad, EU users won't be able to install it on the iPad.

I'm pretty sure the developer will blame this on Apple, while he clearly made a choice of not giving a choice to the users.

Wanna charge money for Delta? Absolutely fine! Wanna make it 30% more expensive on App Store, to cover Apple fees? Fine as well. But give users a choice and don't force them to install it from an alt store, and most important don't slap iPad users in the face like this!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
For those writing "Not available in [one_of_the_EU_countries]", it won't!

The developer has made an explicit choice of releasing Delta only on the AltStore in EU.

While, for example, people from US will be able to install Delta on both iPhone and iPad, from the official Apple App Store, EU people can only install it from the Alt Store, and because the alternative stores are only available on iPhone and not iPad, EU users won't be able to install it on the iPad.

I'm pretty sure the developer will blame this on Apple, while he clearly made a choice of not giving a choice to the users.

Wanna charge money for Delta? Absolutely fine! Wanna make it 30% more expensive on App Store, to cover Apple fees? Fine as well. But give users a choice and don't force them to install it from an alt store, and most important don't slap iPad users in the face like this!
Yeah developers should not be able to gate keep where users get their apps from. They should be available everywhere.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Great to see this on the App store. Hopefully it will not be removed from the store.

gegy

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2018
That‘s the negative side about the stupid EU Law: No i can not install the app from the offical app store. To get the the app i need to use an untrusted alternative store within the EU.
I would like to have the emu, but i am not going to install it from an alternative store. In some cases, the EU decisions are foolish.

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
but it is not available in the European Union where it is instead being offered through an alternative app marketplace.
People said developers weren't going to remove their Apps from the EU App Store and only release them in Alternative Stores. Without Apple's privacy protection.

Well, guess what. People were wrong. This is the first App not available in de EU App Store because of EU rules, and MANY others will follow.

And this is why I've always said that the DMA isn't the solution.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
...And just like I've been predicting for the past year and a half, "walled garden aficionados" would rather have no apps at all than accept apps on third party stores that would've never come to the app store regardless.
Wait, Delta would’ve never come to the App Store regardless? It was still in my App Store when I downloaded it yesterday. Is it never already?

My main issue is with developers that complained about the lack of choice and options in the App Store now paying forward a lack of choice and options to those customers that would like to get their software, even when it is obvious that Apple isn’t the one preventing them from being in the App Store. Sure it might be easier for the developer, but it isn’t easier for the customer, but this was never actually about the customer, and it was annoying listening to some present it like it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.