Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you take it as a full cup with a hot mild top or more like a latte?

Something a bit more like a latte, but, in practice, closer to half & half; hot milk keeps the coffee warmer for longer, and is soothing.

The mug is roughly half filled with coffee, that is, filter coffee, a Copper dripper and paper filters - (and the mug is pre-heated, as well), and organic milk just short of boiling is then added.

Sometimes, I add sugar, other times, not; oddly, much of the time the beverage doesn't seem to need sugar, whereas, whenever I have a flat white or something akin to a latte while out, or a cappuccino, out, I find that I have to add sugar.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
All this talk on here of Kenyan coffee has made me plan a break from my usual Formula Rossa blend (from the Algerian Coffee shop in London) to these:

IMG_2844.jpeg

I'll let you know how they taste once I open them. I'll be using them primarily for espressos and flat whites.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All this talk on here of Kenyan coffee has made me plan a break from my usual Formula Rossa blend (from the Algerian Coffee shop in London) to these:

View attachment 882721

I'll let you know how they taste once I open them. I'll be using them primarily for espressos and flat whites.

Remember, that Kenyan coffee (while a bit more 'hefty' than Ethiopian coffee, which has "bright", "clean" notes, in general, tends to be lighter - as is most of the coffee from the region of the Horn of Africa - than the more robust and darkly roasted Italian coffees that are usually used in espresso); in other words, you may need to use more Kenyan coffee while preparing espresso than you might normally or usually use.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: adrianlondon

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Something a bit more like a latte, but, in practice, closer to half & half; hot milk keeps the coffee warmer for longer, and is soothing.

The mug is roughly half filled with coffee, that is, filter coffee, a Copper dripper and paper filters - (and the mug is pre-heated, as well), and organic milk just short of boiling is then added.

Sometimes, I add sugar, other times, not; oddly, much of the time the beverage doesn't seem to need sugar, whereas, whenever I have a flat white or something akin to a latte while out, or a cappuccino, out, I find that I have to add sugar.

I find myself liking a stronger cup, moving from a latte to a flat white. Quite often I have a smaller drink in a smaller (Le Creuset) mug with a double shot of espresso and topped up with full fat milk.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
I know this is not explicitly about coffee and how it tastes but there are two companies which atleast are trying to keep the environment clean and non toxic by recycling their coffee capsules.

These manufacturers use bags to store empty containers and then when filled are sealed and put into a usps or ups box which then go to these companies to recycle and then refilled with coffee and placed on the market again.

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/

https://www.illy.com/en-us/home

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I live in Switzerland, the home of Nespresso. We've always been able to recycle our capsules here. However, I believe recycling them is tricky - they're made of many different materials - and I'm not sure whether the energy cost to disassemble the capsules and recycle them is less than that gained by re-using the materials. I think it's all for show, just so Nestle can say "don't worry about the environment, we recycle your used capsules!".

I've done no research on this topic; just guessing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I live in Switzerland, the home of Nespresso. We've always been able to recycle our capsules here. However, I believe recycling them is tricky - they're made of many different materials - and I'm not sure whether the energy cost to disassemble the capsules and recycle them is less than that gained by re-using the materials. I think it's all for show, just so Nestle can say "don't worry about the environment, we recycle your used capsules!".

I've done no research on this topic; just guessing.

Your take on this makes complete sense to me.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I opened a new bag of Dave's Coffee the other day and we've been enjoying it. They started offering an Ethiopian roast and it really is quite good.
https://www.davescoffee.com/collect...ia-ayheu-rainforest-alliance-certified-coffee

Grown in the fertile highlands or Northern Ethiopia, the four small contributing farms all practice sustainable farming, growing in a manner fair to the environment and its people, and is certified by the Rainforest Alliance.

A sweet, complex coffee with a smooth buttery body and hints of cocoa and red berry. Ideal for drip coffee brewing in your good old fashioned automatic coffee brewer.
Origin: Amhara Region, Ethiopia
Varietal: Arabica
Process: Natural Sun Dried
Cupping Notes: Juicy Acidity, Chocolate, Red Berry, Caramel
Certifications: Rainforest Alliance

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I opened a new bag of Dave's Coffee the other day and we've been enjoying it. They started offering an Ethiopian roast and it really is quite good.
https://www.davescoffee.com/collect...ia-ayheu-rainforest-alliance-certified-coffee

Grown in the fertile highlands or Northern Ethiopia, the four small contributing farms all practice sustainable farming, growing in a manner fair to the environment and its people, and is certified by the Rainforest Alliance.

A sweet, complex coffee with a smooth buttery body and hints of cocoa and red berry. Ideal for drip coffee brewing in your good old fashioned automatic coffee brewer.
Origin: Amhara Region, Ethiopia
Varietal: Arabica
Process: Natural Sun Dried
Cupping Notes: Juicy Acidity, Chocolate, Red Berry, Caramel
Certifications: Rainforest Alliance

Personally, I love Ethiopian coffee, and must admit that the coffee you have described sounds delicious.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Got in the seasonal mood with my coffee and been throwing in some cinnamon sticks. I feel delightfully hipsterish.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Well, we finished up the Ethiopian coffee from Dave's Coffee and this morning I opened a new back of Colombian light roast from King's Coast Coffee, up in NY. This stuff is really good! I have to say that I have come to enjoy South American coffees much more than other regions. Always very smooth and flavourful! I am so glad that I can order fresh roasted coffee from great small businesses anywhere in the US and have it delivered right to my door! Ain't technology wonderful?

2019SIERRA_1080x.png

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Started a new bag of Dave's Coffee. This time it is their Fireside seasonal blend. I could drink this one all year long! Such a good blend of beans from diverse regions that go so well together. I don't get the cedar notes, but it is certainly smooth and creamy.

Bold cedar notes are nicely balanced with a creamy body and citrus acidity in this limited run seasonal blend. The colder months are upon us, and Fireside will keep you warm and cozy while sipping this delicious coffee all day long bundled in your favorite sweater.

A perfect coffee for your holiday gatherings and it makes a welcome gift for that coffee-centric cousin on your list!

Origin: Papua New Guinea, Brazil, Colombia

Varietal: Arokara, Kordfeigu, Timana, Flor Zapata, Mogiana Eagle

Growing Altitude: 1,500-2,000 Meters

Process: Washed & Wet-Hulled

Cupping Notes: Cedar & Spice, and Everything Nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.