Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple Watch bands do you own? OEM only.

• One band only.

Votes: 421 16.8%
  • 2/4

Votes: 904 36.1%
  • 5/8

Votes: 505 20.2%
  • 9/12

Votes: 170 6.8%
  • 12/15

Votes: 98 3.9%
  • 16/20

Votes: 71 2.8%
  • more than 20

Votes: 210 8.4%
  • more than 50

Votes: 61 2.4%
  • more than 100

Votes: 29 1.2%
  • more than 200

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • more than 250

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • more than 300

Votes: 3 0.1%
  • more than 400

Votes: 1 0.0%
  • more than 500

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • more than 600

Votes: 3 0.1%

• Total voters

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Has anyone noticed older/used eBay bands having a different feel? The Ultraviolet I just bought is clearly an OEM band but it feels stiffer/tackier than my other bands.
It's possible that Apple has varied the precise formulation for the bands over time, but I have the impression that some of my older bands are ever so slightly less flexible. This may also have to do with the bands hardening a bit over time.

I've not noticed any change in stickiness over time (if that's what you mean by tacky), though I do note that some bands have almost like a very slightly velvety texture when first opened, that wears down to a smoother surface over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: athousandbands

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It's possible that Apple has varied the precise formulation for the bands over time, but I have the impression that some of my older bands are ever so slightly less flexible. This may also have to do with the bands hardening a bit over time.

I've not noticed any change in stickiness over time (if that's what you mean by tacky), though I do note that some bands have almost like a very slightly velvety texture when first opened, that wears down to a smoother surface over time.
Yes, this is probably the same intent - the used one feels more rubbery/less supple.

I wonder if some sort of rubber/vinyl treatment would help (Vinylex etc) or if that would do more harm than good?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Has anyone noticed older/used eBay bands having a different feel? The Ultraviolet I just bought is clearly an OEM band but it feels stiffer/tackier than my other bands.

Is that normal?

This happened with me and a hibsicus sport band i bought, it was new but it did have a different texture

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019

i've noticed exactly same as what you described. My guess is that if the band is exposed to the open and unused for a VERY long time, it starts to develop a sticky (or tacky) texture... i had to throw an original blue band away because the tacky feeling was giving me mild wrist abrasions...

Reactions: twanj

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I think different bands do feel a little different from others, and the ceramic pin series 3 dual sided sport band (soft white/pebble) feels more substantial and dense, or is it my imagination?

Different colours have different compositions. Apple published the weights of watches with bands before release, and different colours had different weights. They didn’t do this with any bands beyond the first set.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I gotta say, khaki should have been the “pine green”. Finally have a green band in my collection!
FA33B359-0E6A-4656-8E53-5F1FAA47671C.jpeg

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I gotta say, khaki should have been the “pine green”. Finally have a green band in my collection! View attachment 879573

Actually, this is the first picture of the Khaki band in this thread that is close to how it really looks! Because of the earlier pictures, I thought it was too brownish, but then I saw a nice video review where it looked much greener and decided to give it a try. And now that I have it, I love it!

P.S. This was the video:

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Actually, this is the first picture of the Khaki band in this thread that is close to how it really looks! Because of the earlier pictures, I thought it was too brownish, but then I saw a nice video review where it looked much greener and decided to give it a try. And now that I have it, I love it!

P.S. This was the video:

Yup, thats the video that ended with me driving to the apple store. Lol

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I gotta say, khaki should have been the “pine green”. Finally have a green band in my collection! View attachment 879573

this picture really pulls out the green in khaki... in person i feel it's more brown-tinted than this..
[automerge]1574902027[/automerge]
I think different bands do feel a little different from others, and the ceramic pin series 3 dual sided sport band (soft white/pebble) feels more substantial and dense, or is it my imagination?

i'm wearing it now and yes it does feel more dense than newer bands hmmm..

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I gotta say, khaki should have been the “pine green”. Finally have a green band in my collection!
No way - Pine Green is superior to Khaki. I was in the Apple store this afternoon, wearing my Pine Green band, and holding it up against the Khaki ones. Pine Green is a lovely grayish green. Khaki has a lot of brown in it (to be clear, I'm not saying it is brown, just that it has some brown influence). Your pic makes it look different than what I've seen in person.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
you can all actually check the colours on your apple watch.. just find a full screen colour watch face and switch the Khaki and Pine Green colours.. The difference in brown tones should be very obvious..

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
Guys do you feel that the apple silicone strap has a little bit wobble/play even though it’s properly locked on the watch? As there is some play on both the top and bottom strap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.