Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 6.5.2 is now available with Emby and Jellyfin playlists, plus a few other improvements.

https://firecore.com/releases

Enjoy! ?

EkIpKr1XcAIDHyJ

peter123321

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
Hi do you plan to add zoom-in feature to your player?

With Webex app, I can do it, so for sure, this is doable. Looking for a video player, which can do this.

PS: this is incredibly useful, when watching codin course and need to zoom in to be able to read the code.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Hi do you plan to add zoom-in feature to your player?

With Webex app, I can do it, so for sure, this is doable. Looking for a video player, which can do this.

PS: this is incredibly useful, when watching codin course and need to zoom in to be able to read the code.
One thing you can try in the current version is to enable the crop video zoom option and then select the ultra widescreen aspect ratio in Playback Settings (tap gear icon while a video is playing).

This will allow you to zoom the video, but unfortunately there isn't a pinch-to-zoom option right now.

peter123321

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
One thing you can try in the current version is to enable the crop video zoom option and then select the ultra widescreen aspect ratio in Playback Settings (tap gear icon while a video is playing).

This will allow you to zoom the video, but unfortunately there isn't a pinch-to-zoom option right now.
Hi sorry, but this does not help with small fonts.

Can you add the pinch-to-zoom option to roadmap? When can we expect this? It is killer feature not present in other standard players.

Webex does have this. I can not understand how is it possible, that live conferencing Webex have this and standard video player does not...

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Streaming over cloud never works for me.

It always buffers.

No matter what service I use that infuse supports.

File is 40 to 70 GB.
Cloud streaming speeds will vary based on your internet connection speed and proximity to the node/server of the cloud service you are using.

You can run a speed test in Infuse for different services by viewing the share's settings.

As a rule of thumb, the available speed needs to meet or exceed the average bitrate of the file you are playing, otherwise you may see buffering.

Another thing to try would be to start playback, and pause for a few moments. This will allow Infuse to continue caching the video, which may help.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Today we're happy to announce the release of Infuse 6.6, and give you a quick update on a few other things we've been working on.

HomePod home theater audio

The new HomePod home theater option allows you to utilize a HomePod stereo pair with your Apple TV 4K to create a theater experience with Dolby Atmos or surround sound right in your home. After enabling home theater, Infuse will be able to send high-quality audio directly to your HomePods, allowing more detail to be heard than ever before. The 6.6 update also leverages some of these improvements for non-HomePod setups — making things better all-around, for everyone!

Apple TV home theater

Other small things for 6.6

6.6 also includes a number of other smaller improvements, including: Better support for Plex collections, performance improvements for older devices, networking stability improvements, and a more reliable Files app integration on iOS. A complete list of what's new can be found here.

Getting ready for Infuse 7

We've been making great progress on Infuse for macOS which will be released as part of Infuse 7 this Spring. Alpha updates are being released on a weekly basis, and we hope to start public testing of Infuse 7 for iOS and Apple TV in the coming weeks.

Infuse 7 (including Infuse for macOS) will be a free upgrade for all those with an Infuse Pro subscription (monthly, yearly, lifetime). A single Infuse Pro subscription will be usable on all your devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac) and can be shared via Family Sharing.

Note: If you're running an older version (like v4 or v5) or you have the standalone Infuse Pro 6 app, you can get a free year of Infuse Pro when you start a new yearly subscription.

Infuse for macOS

Thanks!

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions — so please feel free to post a message in our community forum, @ us on Twitter or drop us a note anytime.

Thanks so much for using Infuse! ?

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Recently switched to using Infuse's built-in library after using the app as a client for a Plex server for a couple of years. Was having some problems with that set-up where a file would play fine initially but then take a lifetime to restart if you paused it, sometimes necessitating quitting the app completely just to get the video to play again

So thought I'd experiment with using Infuse directly to access an old WD MyBook Live I had knocking about and wasn't using because I assumed it would be too slow to stream videos. I'm honestly SO impressed with Infuse's performance! Plays everything immediately, scrubbing works instantaneously on all my devices, even the iPad and iPhones which are accessing the files over wifi rather than wired (my Apple TV is connected by ethernet). Have to say I still don't really understand how this is possible: why is a dodgy old NAS able to stream to my devices quicker and more stable than my Mac mini with all its processing power?!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm all-in with Infuse now, was already paying annually for Pro but now I'm even more glad I was.

One question: those who have Roku devices that support AirPlay, how consistent and smooth is it? Would I be able, for instance, to AirPlay from Infuse on my phone to a Roku in 1080p without any drop in quality? Currently my bedroom Roku (Express version, so lacking in AirPlay) is the only reason I'm still keeping Plex installed on my Mac. Ideally I'd get another Apple TV but the expense and age of the device makes it pointless, so wondering whether a £50 Roku Streaming Stick with AirPlay would mean I can get around it that way.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
So thought I'd experiment with using Infuse directly to access an old WD MyBook Live I had knocking about and wasn't using because I assumed it would be too slow to stream videos. I'm honestly SO impressed with Infuse's performance! Plays everything immediately, scrubbing works instantaneously on all my devices, even the iPad and iPhones which are accessing the files over wifi rather than wired (my Apple TV is connected by ethernet). Have to say I still don't really understand how this is possible: why is a dodgy old NAS able to stream to my devices quicker and more stable than my Mac mini with all its processing power?!
Awesome! So glad to hear things are working well for you. :)

In a nutshell, instead of relying on the server's processing power to dictate how well things are streamed, Infuse is able to handle all the decoding work on the client device (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc...). This allows the source to simply act as a file server, which requires virtually no processing power. In fact, we have a number of users who are using a Time Capsule for streaming, and it works quite well.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Awesome! So glad to hear things are working well for you. :)

In a nutshell, instead of relying on the server's processing power to dictate how well things are streamed, Infuse is able to handle all the decoding work on the client device (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc...). This allows the source to simply act as a file server, which requires virtually no processing power. In fact, we have a number of users who are using a Time Capsule for streaming, and it works quite well.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I thought that using Infuse as a client for Plex did the same thing as what you describe above – Plex just supplied the metadata and told Infuse where the file was, but all decoding was done on the client device? But clearly there was another level of something happening that I wasn't aware of, as removing Plex from the equation entirely has solved the problems I was having.

(not meaning to rag on Plex here, have used their software for years and they're great too.)

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I thought that using Infuse as a client for Plex did the same thing as what you describe above – Plex just supplied the metadata and told Infuse where the file was, but all decoding was done on the client device? But clearly there was another level of something happening that I wasn't aware of, as removing Plex from the equation entirely has solved the problems I was having.
Yes, when using Plex the same thing happens. However, depending on Plex's settings there are times when playback is routed over the internet, which can have an impact on local streaming. Not sure if this was the case here, but it's possible.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I can't get Infuse to play any movies from my WD My Passport Wireless Pro hard drive. nPlayer works fine.

Weird.

It sees the files just never plays a movie or tv show. :(

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Today we are excited to announce the release of Infuse 7 for iOS, Apple TV...and macOS!

All-new macOS app

After months of development and public beta testing Infuse for macOS makes it debut on the Mac App Store! This all-new Mac app includes the same great features you love, and runs natively on both Intel and M1 Macs for amazing performance. The design has a familiar layout to iOS and Apple TV, and has been fine-tuned for use on macOS Big Sur.

Syncing shares, libraries, watched history, and ratings is all done seamlessly between iOS, Apple TV, and Mac using iCloud. What's better? Infuse for macOS is available as a free download with no additional costs for existing Pro users. Hooray!

infuse70-mac_2x.jpg

Fresh new design

iOS and Apple TV are also getting some love in 7.0. Both platforms include beautiful new designs which make extensive use of fan art to set the mood for the perfect movie night. There is also dramatic improvements for TV show browsing on iOS, with all new season episode thumbnails!

infuse70-design_2x.jpg

Unified home screen

The new Home Screen is your hub where you can pin lists of content you access the most. Lists can include just about anything. Want to see recently added movies or unwatched TV shows? Done. Rated G movies or content that was released in the 1960s? No problem. Lists can be easily added, removed, and re-ordered directly from the Home Screen by tapping the edit button in the upper right corner. Changes will sync via iCloud to all devices, for a consistent feel on all devices.

infuse70-home_2x.jpg

Upgrade for free!

Infuse 7 is a free automatic update for all Infuse Pro subscribers (monthly, yearly, lifetime) and is waiting for you in the App Store. Seriously...go grab it! ?

The all-new macOS app is available as a free download on the Mac App Store, and active Pro subscriptions can be restored and shared with family members without any additional costs. ?

Those running older standalone versions (Infuse 4, Infuse Pro 5, or Infuse Pro 6) can get a free year of Infuse Pro when starting a new yearly subscription in Infuse 7.

Thanks!

We're super-excited about the release of Infuse 7, and we really hope you enjoy using it as much as we do.

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions — so please feel free to post a message in our community forum, @ us on Twitter or drop us a note anytime.

Thanks so much for using Infuse! ?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
New UI looks great and macOS version is also appreciated.

However, no more perpetual version license and lifetime subscription is even more expensive now at $74.99 (equivalent to 7.5 years).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.