Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Logan

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
BMW 535i, since iOS 13 update can no longer change songs on the heads-up display from the steering wheel. Can scroll the songs, but when pressing down on the scroll wheel the song doesn't switch. Previously pressing down on the scroll wheel on a song changed the song.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Had so many problems with the XS Max and finally those got resolved.

Now my 11 Pro Max will disconnect after about 50 minutes in the car and I have to reconnect it.

S_Anderson

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
I’m not sure if it’s the operating system or the phone. I had put iOS 13.1 beta 4 on my XS and it seemed to work fine as I recall. When I switched to the iPhone 11 Pro is when things went south. The 13.1 final release didn’t help. Neither the Apple Maps app or Waze will connect audio to my car. And with Waze, the connection to the car drops after a few minutes. Frustrating!!!!
2009 porsche... iphone11 pro on 13.1.2...

car recognizes the phone and syncs contacts but bluetooth audio on calls doesn't work at all... and eventually the phone disconnects and car searches for it again endlessly.

So lame.

I spent an hour or so earlier today with some Apple engineers in Cupertino as they ran tests IN my car to try to understand the problem. Without going through all the details, they came to the same conclusions that I did, which is that the iPhone 11 Pro running the latest iOS versions (any 13.x version) doesn't work properly in my vehicle. iOS 13.x DOES work on the iPhone X/XS versions without issue in my car.

They did capture multiple downloads of data from different iPhones and iOS versions to better understand the problem. They should be able to pinpoint what's changed between the iPhone X/XS and the iPhone 11 versions -- I suspect it's somewhere in the software that controls the radio interface between the iPhone and HFP in the car. I'm guessing there's some different bluetooth hardware/chips between the X/XS and 11--but I'm not a radio frequency engineer so we'll just have to see what they come up with.

I suspect that in an upcoming release (13.2.x or beyond most likely) we'll see a version that solves most, if not all, of the existing problems. And don't bother with the most recent 13.2 beta (developer's) release. It fared no better on the iPhone 11 Pro than any of the earlier 13.x versions.

Oh...and edkotch....I have a 997.2 so we're suffering from the exact same issues!

Reactions: jbachandouris

TheCraftDes

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
I spent an hour or so earlier today with some Apple engineers in Cupertino as they ran tests IN my car to try to understand the problem. Without going through all the details, they came to the same conclusions that I did, which is that the iPhone 11 Pro running the latest iOS versions (any 13.x version) doesn't work properly in my vehicle. iOS 13.x DOES work on the iPhone X/XS versions without issue in my car.

They did capture multiple downloads of data from different iPhones and iOS versions to better understand the problem. They should be able to pinpoint what's changed between the iPhone X/XS and the iPhone 11 versions -- I suspect it's somewhere in the software that controls the radio interface between the iPhone and HFP in the car. I'm guessing there's some different bluetooth hardware/chips between the X/XS and 11--but I'm not a radio frequency engineer so we'll just have to see what they come up with.

I suspect that in an upcoming release (13.2.x or beyond most likely) we'll see a version that solves most, if not all, of the existing problems. And don't bother with the most recent 13.2 beta (developer's) release. It fared no better on the iPhone 11 Pro than any of the earlier 13.x versions.

Oh...and edkotch....I have a 997.2 so we're suffering from the exact same issues!

Thanks for the detailed info.

I think on the 11 it can be a possible problem of the chip, at the same time I have the problem with an iPhone X which I only upgrade to 13.1.2

As said, in my case, everything works well on my Lexus IS but the Bluetooth connection with music.

This is the only issue: no sound at all.

so I can guess there will be two different case out there:

- a software problem that hit also X and XS (and some of 8 and so on)

- a software+chip problem that may hit only 11 and 11 pro

both them in different ways, depending from the car system, the car brand and so on.
To be honest is the first time I see a problem like that.

Hopefully they will solve in some future release, but if is a chip problem or a new “way” the frequencies work with the car system, I am afraid that Apple want no to come back to a “old” Bluetooth technology.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I can't read SMS messages (non CarPlay) in my Mazda 3 2015. Used to be able to receive notifications of text messages and at least read that message. Now I just get an error message that the messages could not be retrieved.

Music, podcasts etc seem to be fine, and contacts are syncing as far as I can tell, so I guess I should count myself lucky.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
I’m not sure if it’s the operating system or the phone. I had put iOS 13.1 beta 4 on my XS and it seemed to work fine as I recall. When I switched to the iPhone 11 Pro is when things went south. The 13.1 final release didn’t help. Neither the Apple Maps app or Waze will connect audio to my car. And with Waze, the connection to the car drops after a few minutes. Frustrating!!!!
I have the same problem with my Honda 2013 crv. It can’t discover my phone.

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
BMW 535i, since iOS 13 update can no longer change songs on the heads-up display from the steering wheel. Can scroll the songs, but when pressing down on the scroll wheel the song doesn't switch. Previously pressing down on the scroll wheel on a song changed the song.

Same problem here but happening on Mercedes Comand system.

PakoQro

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Querétaro, Mexico
Only half of my contacts sync with my 2018 bmw idrive after updating to 13.1, i akipped 13.0 so don’t know if the problem started in .1 - there was no issues on 12.4.1. Anyone noticed similar?
In my BMW, when I receive a call... the iPhone does not recognize the number BUT in the BMW screen, the name of the person (in my contacts) is displayed.
[automerge]1570225639[/automerge]
Same. iPhone X worked fine with iOS 13 in my 2015 BMW 2 series. After upgrade to iOS 13.1 (and 13.1.1), can no longer scroll through and select songs with iDrive. Also can't start Podcasts without first opening app on iPhone. Basically have lost all functionality of iDrive with my iPhone.

I've downloaded the latest software update from BMW, but no luck.

FYI software updates are available here: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
Same issue with a iPhone X, but BMW have never found the reason why, because in my case this issued started when BMW updated a software after a "technical campaign"

Hankh5

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Only half of my contacts sync with my 2018 bmw idrive after updating to 13.1, i akipped 13.0 so don’t know if the problem started in .1 - there was no issues on 12.4.1. Anyone noticed similar?
Success I paired my 2016 honda with iPhone 11. when I paired phone there was a letter i on phone I tapped that that or I clicked on notification and contacts when in then I made gray notification I dint want text etc to go on my car screen good luck

Reactions: PakoQro

ivhs72

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
I've been having problems with my 2015 Dodge Journey and the Uconnect system working with my iPhone 11 Pro. Once I got it paired, it connects about 1/2 the time, both for music and hands free. It asks if I want to pair another phone, even though it still has the old one stored in it. It's gotten worse with each update, now it connects maybe 2 times out of 10. The phone remembers the programming in the Bluetooth section. So it's like each device knows about the other, but they just won't talk. I spent some time with Apple Support, they suggest contacting my dealer.......

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thank you. THIS is the topic I was looking for!

BT has been hooked up to my Nissan for a long time with no issues, its been pretty flawless for me. "Hey Siri" would immediately trigger the BT radio - volume turns off and I can speak my command, response through my car speakers was fast.

Yesterday I was driving. I did this for the first time under the new iOS 13, wow...I'll say "Hey Siri", the phone shows siri screen, yet the volume in my car will wait 5-10 seconds before muting, HUGE lag.

Once I ask a question, Siri fails to respond or it gets the the last 3, 4 words of my command. So..yeah BT car, new IOS has really affected this feature.

I'll try to unpair and repair that to my cars BT later today, maybe that will help?? I dont know.

AudioBones

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
My car Bluetooth keeps disconnecting every 1-2 minutes... iPhone pro and iOS 13.1. I have an Opel Mokka with Navi 600. Never had problems with iOS 12. Apple... what are you doing???

Same issue. Updated my phone yesterday and now my Bluetooth keeps disconnecting from my Vauxhall Astra 64 plate every 30 seconds or so. When trying to play music it doesn’t want to stay connected, but somehow stays connected when on the phone to someone in car. What a ridiculous bug! Let’s pray they get it sorted soon!!

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
2018 Subaru Outback here - I don't have issues with the music, but Siri Handsfree is completely broken on iOS 13. I used to be able to hit the talk button, tell it to call someone, and it will just say, "Please wait... please wait... I'm sorry, I can't do what you're asking, try again later". Same if I try texting someone. Guessing phonebook sync is broken, but at some point, I'll try removing and re-pairing my phone to see if that fixes it.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
2018 Subaru Outback here - I don't have issues with the music, but Siri Handsfree is completely broken on iOS 13. I used to be able to hit the talk button, tell it to call someone, and it will just say, "Please wait... please wait... I'm sorry, I can't do what you're asking, try again later". Same if I try texting someone. Guessing phonebook sync is broken, but at some point, I'll try removing and re-pairing my phone to see if that fixes it.

I still wish Apple would handle phone calls on the iPhone locally without having to make the round trip to Apple's servers.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Issues here as well with iPhone 11 Pro, 2017 Mazda MX-5 and iOS 13.1.2. Re-paired numerous times. Music plays and can seem to make calls but hands free Siri is a no go. Hey Siri acts like it tries to respond via car Bluetooth (it did previously on my iPhone XS) but then the connection drops and Siri responses can’t be heard. Triple checked all voice feedback and audio level settings. Siri just won’t respond via Bluetooth audio. She will respond on screen or through the iPhone speaker fine.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Similar issues with my 2009 Acura TSX. Disconnects and reconnects randomly every few minutes while listening to music, which is really annoying on my hour-long commute. I am now using the USB iPod connection which has it's own set of problems, mainly that my car is so old it doesn't even put out enough power through the USB to charge the battery. Also the steering wheel controls will not skip tracks over USB, even though they do work over bluetooth.

Guess it's time to get a new car with Carplay LOL.

Miki4G

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2017
Italy
I just think that it is a shame that a €. 1200 iphone cannot connect via bluetooth to my car, that is not so old (2013 Opel Mokka) when a € 70 android phone does the job flawlessly. In my opinion, it is a real shame. Apple, what are you doing?? BTW I jave a 11 Pro. Very, very disappointed. :-(

PakoQro

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Querétaro, Mexico
Same to me... I frequently send iMessage to my main contacts but now it takes me 5 minutes to get the answer from Siri. It always say “please wait“ then “try again later” Just yesterday after 4 tries, I gave up an stopped to type the message. This didn’t happen with the previous version of iOS.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Just wanted to add that I am having problems with a 2018 Civic and Bluetooth. Preliminary testing is call failure, or should I say Siri failure. I have to test more when I get the chance, but there is definitely something wrong.

TheCraftDes

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
I read 13.2 Beta was released. I hope there will be some solution.

At the same time I would add that I never try Siri after the last update.
On the EU version of Lexus car, the feature to push the button of voice command of Lexus multimedia system, on the steer wheels, to activate Siri is not available.

You can sent commands to Siri, pushing the on/off button on iPhone or with “hey Siri”.
This way you can talk through the car mic.

I can confirm this feature in my IS300H MY2017 is correctly functional.

so at the moment the only issue in my car is streaming music via Audio Bluetooth.

thunderjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Nashville, TN
I drop connection frequently while listening to music, using Maps, or on the phone. This brick is damn near unusable for me.

I've spent about 5 hours with support. No luck at all. I've blown away setting, I've gotten a new iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I've forgotten and paired several times.

This is bad enough to make me think about Android and definitely will take me away from my early adoption optimism.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apparently, Apple is too busy working on emoji to make a STABLE OS.

2018 Chevy Malibu. Worked fine on XS Max running 13.1. Issues connecting with 11 Pro Max.

No way am I spending an hour on the phone with their 'engineers' who obviously have no idea how to fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.