Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I see the public beta is out… should I or shouldn’t I 🤔

What for, a colour changing Apple podcast widget? 😋 There is nothing else that can be useful right now:

iAppleHater

Suspended
Apr 5, 2024
It’s fixed sluggish performance on iPhone 13? I notice it since first ios 17 update. Started think that they slow down my phone. My animation stutters every time on 17.4.1 E237

• Love
Reactions: Hans300 and ahmede

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
As a dev, it's interesting to see what strings Apple uses to localize stuff.
There doesn't seem to be any structure to it, it seems like the pattern I use myself in my apps seems much better...
I wonder how they introduce a bug into the battery charging page if no additional function was introduced.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I wonder how they introduce a bug into the battery charging page if no additional function was introduced.
This is the magic of software development.

The best practice is to encapsulate/isolate/atomize things as much as possible in your code, but sometimes it's very hard and playing with code at one place has repercussions in dozens of places in your project...

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018

The best practice is to encapsulate/isolate/atomize things as much as possible in your code, but sometimes it's very hard and playing with code at one place has repercussions in dozens of places in your project...
Absolutely, but it took a layman only a few minutes to spot it. Are we really the first to actually run it through a phone?
And good modular code should not be corrupted by another module. It's a battery meter ffs.

Reactions: PsykX

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Absolutely, but it took a layman only a few minutes to spot it. Are we really the first to actually run it through a phone?
And good modular code should not be corrupted by another module. It's a battery meter ffs.
I totally get you.

I've gotta say, I have a hard time isolating stuff myself (as a hobbyist), but Apple programmers must be amongst the best on the entire planet, I expect them to be able to do it much better than I can do it myself.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
See the post above yours (#101) And view that article. Could explain how this happened. They are working in that area.

Code Changes​

Battery Health Menu for Future iPads​

Reactions: Pearsey

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
See the post above yours (#101) And view that article. Could explain how this happened. They are working in that area.

Code Changes​

Battery Health Menu for Future iPads​

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well.

Stuff like this can happen in betas, especially beta 1s.

That’s why they are betas. Stuff can be and is broken from time to time.

And I really don’t want to hear how Apple should do better. It’s a freaking BETA. You have no right to expect it to be flawless (at least as flawless as it can be) until public release.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Exactly this! This thread and previous beta threads are becoming increasingly frustrating to read because of this issue.

These threads frequently get unreadable as we get into the “lean” months ahead of WWDC. But this year has been particularly bad.

Don’t be those people who think you are entitled to absolutely perfect software. You’re not.

And it will never be perfect.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Beta released.

Impression that something is wrong
- dev - make a note

An infrequent bug
- dev - 1 point

A repeatable bug
- dev - 10 points

A repeatable bug that impacts a key feature
- dev - 25 points

A OMG it broke it bug
- dev - 100 points

As a dev, what should I work on? 😁. Reminder: it’s a beta. And I only have a 100 points to spend.

Reactions: jpdunn13

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Thought I was seeing things but nope …

iPad Pro 11 G4 in Safari in dark mode.
White text on black background. When you swipe up or down to scroll, the text changes shade from white to blue. Haven’t seen this in a long time and never on this device. Caught it reading last night. Can see it on this site also but much harder for capture in video.
See below.

• Wow
Reactions: iLuddite

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
I’m not sure if it is a bug in 17.4 (and 17.4.1), or an intended change by Apple, but has iCloud tabs been fixed/reverted back please? Despite all tabs being closed on my iPhone for example, iPad will show the last tab that was open on the iPhone under the iCloud tabs section. Same happens vice versa. On 17.3 and earlier, iCloud tabs only used to show tabs that were actually open.
I am finally home and have updated my iPad to match my iPhone. It appears to be fixed. iCloud tabs don’t stick around and they are the most recent site from the other device.

• Love
Reactions: 13paul13

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Exactly this! This thread and previous beta threads are becoming increasingly frustrating to read because of this issue.
Although there can pervade some negativity among sometimes hyper-critical Apple enthusiasts, I think that there being such a place as MacRumors to gather and vent frustration/enthuse is ultimately good in its purpose and utility. I appreciate everyone here and welcome their input, whether optimistic or otherwise. Sharing frustrations/excitement is a beautiful thing that I believe makes Apple better in the long run, and I still enjoy this community as much as I did years ago.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Although there can pervade some negativity among sometimes hyper-critical Apple enthusiasts, I think that there being such a place as MacRumors to gather and vent frustration/enthuse is ultimately good in its purpose and utility. I appreciate everyone here and welcome their input, whether optimistic or otherwise. Sharing frustrations/excitement is a beautiful thing that I believe makes Apple better in the long run, and I still enjoy this community as much as I did years ago.
Quite. It was my opinion that such an in-your-face error should never have got past in-house testing and come here as a place where criticism is normally welcome. There are enough censors in the Apple sites.

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom

And just wanna say having localisation strings issue are the most non-disruptive and harmless bugs there could be, it's being blown up way too heavy.

Reactions: PsykX

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
you're wrong. Battery-life is WAY better in 17.5 than 17.4.1 on my 15 pro.

Battery life depends on a multitude of factors, including your personal usage patterns and installed 3rd party apps. That is why we often hear seemingly contradictory battery feedback and @Pearsey was highlighting his own experience.

I cannot complain running 17.4.1 on my iPhone 15 either, so perhaps check what could be draining your battery so much in its stats?

arovik

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
Battery life depends on a multitude of factors, including your personal usage patterns and installed 3rd party apps. That is why we often hear seemingly contradictory battery feedback and @Pearsey was highlighting his own experience.

I cannot complain running 17.4.1 on my iPhone 15 either, so perhaps check what could be draining your battery so much in its stats?
as i said, the battery is not draining anymore, after upgrading to 17.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.