Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 406

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
Good grief I really hope the wifi is well and truly fixed.

What about VoLTE on Verizon? I don't have "advanced calling" available on my line (so I assume it's still waiting to be enabled in iOS with an update), but my wife with the Galaxy S5 does. I turned it on but she doesn't notice a difference because nobody else we know has a VoLTE-enabled phone. LOL

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
If you are all saying the animation is the same on the air 2 vs the air for spotlight rotation, then I don't know what you're smoking. It may not be butter smooth but it's a hell of a lot smoother than it was. It's a fact.

But it should be.

Fact remains, that on both devices there is no excuse for a keyboard not being able to rotate on screen smoothly. Both devices can throw 20 cars around graphically dense tracks on Asphalt 8 at ridiculously high frame rates. Maybe Apple should apply Metal to their own bloody OS.

Absolutely no excuse.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
"Safari activity spinning wheel bug fixed"
No it hasn't been fixed.... Still spinning I'm afraid... :(
Not all websites, but cultofmac is a good (bad) example I'm afraid...
Seems like their webpage is loading indefinitely...

Ahh, okay, this is an iOS 8 bug.

Just asked in iPad trouble forum.

rweed

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
8.1.1b1 fixed my Safari 'lockup when backspacing' bug. On my test page, anyway. This was occuring on my iPad4/AT&T LTE unit. I tried it in the local store and it was happening on iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2 (1st retina).

Looks like I will keep the iPhone 6 Plus when it comes since they fixed this unacceptable bug.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
If you are all saying the animation is the same on the air 2 vs the air for spotlight rotation, then I don't know what you're smoking. It may not be butter smooth but it's a hell of a lot smoother than it was. It's a fact.

I'm not sure how smooth it is in comparison with the Air 1 since I never owned one. Was just saying that on the Air 2 it's far from smooth. If it's worse on the Air 1 then yikes!:eek:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
But it should be.

Fact remains, that on both devices there is no excuse for a keyboard not being able to rotate on screen smoothly. Both devices can throw 20 cars around graphically dense tracks on Asphalt 8 at ridiculously high frame rates. Maybe Apple should apply Metal to their own bloody OS.

Absolutely no excuse.

I completely agree. However a lot of the stuttering and issues with the UI are due to the blurring transparency which is a very taxing effect even for a desktop. Solid 3D graphics are a breeze in comparison. So when Apple turned it on for the keyboard in 7.1 and 8, thats when things started to stutter a little more. You're essentially blurring every pixel on the screen in iOS 8 spotlight. So I'm actually even shocked at how the iPad air 2 handles it much better. The thing is a beast.

----------

Have you reported it via bugreporter.apple.com ?
Ya know, maybe when it's blatently obvious we shouldn't have to tell Apple. I'm pretty sure they use their own products.

----------

I'm not sure how smooth it is in comparison with the Air 1 since I never owned one. Was just saying that on the Air 2 it's far from smooth. If it's worse on the Air 1 then yikes!:eek:

It's much worse. I would estimate around 5 fps. As is a lot of keyboard rotation in iOS 8 and the air 1. Safari was a mess too. Now apps like messages and Safari are literally 100 percent butter smooth when rotating the keyboard in those apps on the air 2

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Did they fix the Apple TV pop-up menu on the iPad?

When you open control center and tap the Apple TV button, the pop-up is so small (and the list is moved down a bit) that you can't see the mirroring option unless you try scrolling (which isn't very apparent to the user that you can scroll a pop-up menu like this). This bugs me.

Me too man, it's so weird. Hope it's a bug and not a design choice

----------

Go ahead and rotate the keyboard using safari on an air vs air 2 and get back to me ;)

I'm wondering the same, I have tried it a few times and it seems to be normal and pretty smooth on my iPad air 2. Maybe I don't have the eyes to tell the difference between a few FPS drops.

----------

I completely agree. However a lot of the stuttering and issues with the UI are due to the blurring transparency which is a very taxing effect even for a desktop. Solid 3D graphics are a breeze in comparison. So when Apple turned it on for the keyboard in 7.1 and 8, thats when things started to stutter a little more. You're essentially blurring every pixel on the screen in iOS 8 spotlight. So I'm actually even shocked at how the iPad air 2 handles it much better. The thing is a beast.

----------

Ya know, maybe when it's blatently obvious we shouldn't have to tell Apple. I'm pretty sure they use their own products.

----------

It's much worse. I would estimate around 5 fps. As is a lot of keyboard rotation in iOS 8 and the air 1. Safari was a mess too. Now apps like messages and Safari are literally 100 percent butter smooth when rotating the keyboard in those apps on the air 2

Its not 5fps, maybe it's a few FPS higher on the air 2 than the air, but not as drastic as you guys make it seem to be.

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Is the "bookmarks bug maps" fixed?

If you select a Bookmark (Favorite) in Apple Maps the map doesn't recognize the bookmark and automatically disappear from the address bar.

This bug is present since iOS 8.0

Sorry for my English

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
How is 8.1.1 in regards to UI glitches. Ones I noticed are:

1) small AirPlay menu on iPads as JaysonA mentioned above.
2) apps overlap with status bar, although this might not be an iOS problem.
3) folder corner glitch. Just watch the corners of a folder when you open it. Warning it's hard to unsee it once it's seen, especially on iPads.
4) go to Settings>Mail/Contacts/Calendar while in landscape mode on your iPad (maybe happens with the 6Plus as well). Look at the first option (iCloud) and turn your iPad to portrait mode. The text overlaps with the border because it doesn't resize properly.
5) iOS 8 also brought the return of apps sometimes not closing properly in the multitask view. This was fixed with 7.1 but seem to be reintroduced with 8.
6) once in a while safari in multitask view has a weird black border around it. It's hard to describe but I have seen it a few times.

7) not a UI bug but on iPads, its still not possible to change the map setting from miles to km, it will always jump back to miles. Not sure if that is a bug in regards to specific LANGUAGE & REGION settings (mine is English UK, Great Britain) but it's been there since iOS 7. It's basically a 1 year old bug and only happens on iPads.

Last edited:

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Does 8.1.1 fix the issue where the car (when paired over Bluetooth) won't play Text Tones when receiving a message, and resets user set Text Tones to Note (Default)?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

What about VoLTE on Verizon? I don't have "advanced calling" available on my line (so I assume it's still waiting to be enabled in iOS with an update), but my wife with the Galaxy S5 does. I turned it on but she doesn't notice a difference because nobody else we know has a VoLTE-enabled phone. LOL

It is on. It was released with iOS8 like a day before iPhone 6 was released. It does work and is very noticeable. Only available on the S5, iP6/6+ and some LG device. On iPhone you go to cellular and in the Enable LTE setting select Voice&Data. Wait for it to enable on your particular line (takes a minute or two).

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iOS 8.x is so buggy and laggy Apple should allow people to revert back to 7.1.2.

Last edited:

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

Every iPhone 6/6+ user a Verizon postpaid plan has VOLTE support. If it's not appearing as an option on your phone, you either need to log into your account on the web and add it to your plan (it's a free addon) or you need to call Verizon and have them add it to your account.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
But it should be.

Absolutely no excuse.

Maybe they are and it doesn't work that well. Some bugs are just so damn obvious. There is no excuse.

----------

I don't know if this is a bug, but it sure bothers me. Open Maps. Use 2 fingers on one hand to zoom out or in. Now use one finger from each hand to do the same thing. Maps changes into 3D map mode. On a 6+ I'm much more likely to be use my thumbs to zoom out but I hate the automatic switch from 2D to 3D mode.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Maybe they are and it doesn't work that well. Some bugs are just so damn obvious. There is no excuse.

have you ever considered that some bugs arent so obvious to fix?

the sheer number of people who ignore/dont include things they dont know/arent aware of into their rationalization process constantly amazes me.

shortly, if you dont know exactly how to fix a stated bug, you have absolutely no right in whining, let alone demanding.

if the number of bugs and their ability to timely fix those bugs doesnt satisfy your needs and wishes, thats certainly a basis for switching software/hardware provider.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
have you ever considered that some bugs arent so obvious to fix?

the sheer number of people who ignore/dont include things they dont know/arent aware of into their rationalization process constantly amazes me.

shortly, if you dont know exactly how to fix a stated bug, you have absolutely no right in whining, let alone demanding.

if the number of bugs and their ability to timely fix those bugs doesnt satisfy your needs and wishes, thats certainly a basis for switching software/hardware provider.

Yeah, no right to whine. :rolleyes:

Is Safari's reload problem obvious enough for you? The sheer number of people who don't or can't take the extra minute to at least try to use proper punctuation amazes me.

lewy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
You really think that we can get rid of this laggy **** simply by getting iOS update? They don't care about us...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.