Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Launcher...changes everything. Thank you so much! Imagine when Launcher Pro implement something similar.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Yes. The only reason I wanted launcher is cause it showed some one touch short cuts to your contacts. If anyone knows anything similar. Please let me know.

What I wanted to do was recreate my home screen using Launcher, so I could pull down notifications from the lock screen and access my most used things as well as see widgets below, but it doesn't look like all apps are supported, most notably phone, Safari, mail, and messages (it is to an individual I know)

Plan B is to use it to call my most frequently used contacts, although just telling Siri to call them would probably be easier...

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
What I wanted to do was recreate my home screen using Launcher, so I could pull down notifications from the lock screen and access my most used things as well as see widgets below, but it doesn't look like all apps are supported, most notably phone, Safari, mail, and messages (it is to an individual I know)

Plan B is to use it to call my most frequently used contacts, although just telling Siri to call them would probably be easier...

I finally was able to download Launcher. I upgraded to the pro version. Now i have shortcuts to my contacts from my notification center, like a jailbroken phone. And also shortcuts to my apps. But yeah i wish there was something that would let you add more stuff to it.

Really what i would love is to have someone able to invent something like lockinfo or intelliscreen x and put that in the app store. If anyone can point me in that direction. I would appreciate it!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Launcher is a well designed app but unfortunately not all my key apps are supported so not as useful for me as I was expecting. Hopefully they can improve app support.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
How do you use launcher to create a navigation shortcut? Can you create a navigation shortcut for Google maps or only Apple maps?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Launcher is a well designed app but unfortunately not all my key apps are supported so not as useful for me as I was expecting. Hopefully they can improve app support.

It's not really up to the Launcher dev to improve that. An app needs a URL scheme to work. I'd suggest taking to google to find some databases of them. So far, I've got shortcuts to:

- Personal Hotspot
- Location Services
- Mobile Data
- Sounds

In my notification centre. Full control centre switches now! Huzzah.

LlAtXld.png

----------

[/COLOR]
I wish there was a way you could use Launcher to open phone, safari, email, messages, etc. It looks like you can only do it for a specific person...

You can indeed do that. Needs to be a custom action though, created with app URL Schemes that are only included in some apps. Google will help you here.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Any chance you can point me in the direction of one of these databases? The few i've found via Google i cant find the hotspot one etc.

shootertwist

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
It's not really up to the Launcher dev to improve that. An app needs a URL scheme to work. I'd suggest taking to google to find some databases of them. So far, I've got shortcuts to:

- Personal Hotspot
- Location Services
- Mobile Data
- Sounds

In my notification centre. Full control centre switches now! Huzzah.

----------

[/COLOR]

You can indeed do that. Needs to be a custom action though, created with app URL Schemes that are only included in some apps. Google will help you here.

If its not too much to ask, sir can you share the specific url for personal hotspot and mobile data? tried googling and using the websites you indicated but cant seem to find them, thanks in advance sir, will appreciate it a lot :)

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
We should create a thread to show Launchers - I'd love to see what people are doing with it.

Yes. The only reason I wanted launcher is cause it showed some one touch short cuts to your contacts. If anyone knows anything similar. Please let me know.

Any chance you can point me in the direction of one of these databases? The few i've found via Google i cant find the hotspot one etc.

If its not too much to ask, sir can you share the specific url for personal hotspot and mobile data? tried googling and using the websites you indicated but cant seem to find them, thanks in advance sir, will appreciate it a lot :)

I've just set up a thread so we can all share and help each other out with our customisations :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19754653

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
yea they really need to add that in...what's the point of a weather app if it doesn't show current location???

You wouldn't believe that I actually was looking for an app that doesn't need to track my location to provide a weather feed.

I guess some of us don't travel much.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
How can I get Ebay and ESPN Sportscenter to show up in my widgets? I dont see an option to add them and I see that someone has a screenshot here of the ESPN widget in their Today screen.

They need to release the updated apps for it to happen. I believe the ESPN screenshot is taken from the official Apple screenshots.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
How can I get Ebay and ESPN Sportscenter to show up in my widgets? I dont see an option to add them and I see that someone has a screenshot here of the ESPN widget in their Today screen.

The screenshots are from WWDC; however they haven't updated their apps yet to support Widgets.

----------

Forecast+ has a nice widget.

Wow, that's way better than Apple's default widget

HawkBYU

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
It looks nice but the app overall sucks. I type in my zip code and it brings up New Mexico. I live in Virginia. It can't find a single city within an hour of me. Deleted.

I can find my city, but the temp is way off. It is saying the hi is 75 when it is more like 95. I just sent them an email to see what's up. We'll see what they have to say. Otherwise, the app looks nice.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I can find my city, but the temp is way off. It is saying the hi is 75 when it is more like 95. I just sent them an email to see what's up. We'll see what they have to say. Otherwise, the app looks nice.

The Yahoo weather widget looks great, much better than WeatherPro. Are there any other good ones that I can look at?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.