Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Apple has removed launcher from the App Store. Holy crap.

So ridiculous and disappointing. Apple finally gives us functionality we've been wanting for years, and then takes it away with no good reason? I wish they had never given it to us in the first place.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So ridiculous and disappointing. Apple finally gives us functionality we've been wanting for years, and then takes it away with no good reason? I wish they had never given it to us in the first place.

Very disappointed here too. Launcher is extremely handy and I can easily start Shazam or Google Maps direction by a swipe down and a tap.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
iOS 8 Widget Customisations using Launcher

Is there a way to create a Launcher shortcut to an app that isn't listed the configuration screens? Using an address or something like how we have added shortcuts to battery usage, etc?

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Is there a way to create a Launcher shortcut to an app that isn't listed the configuration screens? Using an address or something like how we have added shortcuts to battery usage, etc?

Send an email to the developer (contact details can be found in the app).

I've asked for 4 apps and he's managed to get them included.

The guys a top bloke and what Apple did in pulling his app he really doesn't have to help but he does.

Top developer.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
For all those out there like me which didn't download the Launcher app in time. Since september there is also Quick-Tap in the app store which is also an amazing widget. I just bought it (in-app purchase) and really love it.

Features:
- direct post an e-mail/sms/imessage/whatsapp/facebook messenger to someone
- directly call/facetime someone
- directly navigate to your Home with Google Maps or Apple Maps
- has tons of apps which can be opened directly from the notification center (not all, the app has to support it)

Can be done but needs some extra work from the user:
- post a tweet (can be set via Add Item > More > Browse to.. type in Url: twitter://post?message)
- quickly access Settings options e.g. WIFI, General Use can be done in a similar way as mentioned with posting a tweet. (how to).

Missing options (hopefully in an update, if Apple allows them to):
- post a facebook message on Facebook (it does support facebook messenger)
- send a message via Telegram to someone
- cannot sort/move the apps/links in row (only edit/remove)
- cannot add your own icons to e.g. Safari links for e.g. Settings, Quick Twitter post

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011

There's a launcher replacement "quick tap" ;) is the custom short cut to sounds/mobile data etc that I find it useful

How did you add the custom short cuts on quick tap.?
I purchased the full version
I can add shortcuts like posting a tweet
But not for eg. Cellular usage

Last edited:

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
How did you add the custom short cuts on quick tap.?
I purchased the full version
I can add shortcuts like posting a tweet
But not for eg. Cellular usage

Oh copy/paste the short cut link in "Browse to..." under More

one thing though I'd copy/paste the short cut first then edit the name otherwise you'll have the short cut as the name instead

ya1950

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009

one thing though I'd copy/paste the short cut first then edit the name otherwise you'll have the short cut as the name instead

Thanks for this. I didn't realize you could do this with Quick Tap. This makes it a reasonable replacement for Launcher. I'm very surprised that this is still in the app store since it allows you to launch apps from the Notification Center just like Launcher does. :confused:

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011

Tried this a number of times. Nothing happens when I tap on the icon
Used this short cut, prefs:root=General&path=USAGE/CELLULAR_USAGE

Iphone 5 iOS 8.1

See pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415865779.464557.jpg

ya1950

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Did you tap it in the notification center widget? For some reason the shortcut only works within the widget and not from within the application.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
For all those out there like me which didn't download the Launcher app in time. Since september there is also Quick-Tap in the app store which is also an amazing widget. I just bought it (in-app purchase) and really love it.

Features:
- direct post an e-mail/sms/imessage/whatsapp/facebook messenger to someone
- directly call/facetime someone
- directly navigate to your Home with Google Maps or Apple Maps
- has tons of apps which can be opened directly from the notification center (not all, the app has to support it)

Can be done but needs some extra work from the user:
- post a tweet (can be set via Add Item > More > Browse to.. type in Url: twitter://post?message)
- quickly access Settings options e.g. WIFI, General Use can be done in a similar way as mentioned with posting a tweet. (how to).

Missing options (hopefully in an update, if Apple allows them to):
- post a facebook message on Facebook (it does support facebook messenger)
- send a message via Telegram to someone
- cannot sort/move the apps/links in row (only edit/remove)
- cannot add your own icons to e.g. Safari links for e.g. Settings, Quick Twitter post

apple seriously allows this but not launcher?

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Tried this a number of times. Nothing happens when I tap on the icon
Used this short cut, prefs:root=General&path=USAGE/CELLULAR_USAGE

Iphone 5 iOS 8.1

See pic View attachment 513368

It works for me and tapping on the icon, it brings me to this screen. Tapping in the icons from the quick-tap app won't do anything but it will work if you tapping it through notifications widget.

This is the short cut I used

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415935990.216843.jpg

prefs:root=General&path=USAGE/CELLULAR_USAGE

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
It works for me and tapping on the icon, it brings me to this screen. Tapping in the icons from the quick-tap app won't do anything but it will work if you tapping it through notifications widget.

This is the short cut I used

View attachment 513595

prefs:root=General&path=USAGE/CELLULAR_USAGE

I was testing it within the app, and not the widget in the notification bar.
Working now. Thanks everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.