Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Beta 5 works ok on iPad Air with a clean install. The difference in performance and smotheness is not as visible as on iphone 5 lets say, but the potential to be faster than 7.1.2 is there, which is good.

Kind of dissaponting that apple didn't continue to make ios9 more responsive in some areas. For instance in this scenario: when you have 4 or more apps in app switcher, close an app and tap on the homescreen rightaway nothing happens, you have to tap the second time to get there.
If you do the same thing with only one app open the responsiveness is tremendous and miles better than any iOS up-to-date.
Hopefully apple will carry this speed all the way across the OS.

It seems like apple gave up on an interruptible screen unlocking animation (like in iOS6) a long time ago, where you could swipe the home screen before the animation has fisnished. Thats when iOS7 felt instantly "dull" in comparison, let alone iOS8.
Its a very small thing, but the one that makes your device instantly more responsive. They have it on iPad as "pinch to homescreen" gesture, but never carried it over to homescreen for whatever reason.

Anyways, after a year on half assed iOS8, iOS 9 in general looks very promising.

Yeah and in the betas so far this doesn't work also. When pinching you now need to wait again for the animation to finish. I really hope they don't forget it.

Reactions: Elence

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham
Fell asleep listening to the Podcasts app last night after fully charging my phone. Current battery stats

Usage: 11 hrs 37 mins
Standby: 13 hrs, 6 mins

Battery: 72%

After some texting/browsing/tweeting this morning. Battery life is great for me in Beta 5

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Reading through this thread has been quite depressing. Apple promised noticeably better battery life with iOS9 and yet people are reporting that it's noticeably worse than iOS8. Then we get the typical "but it's only a beta" comments but seriously, why are Apple releasing sub-standard builds when they presumably have better builds in-house from which they tested their battery life results?

iOS8 GM releases have been a buggy mess for almost a year so I don't buy into this 'don't worry, it's only a beta' stuff. A bad beta is worrying, despite what some people say.
Surely Apple should be releasing the very best builds they have to date, otherwise what's the point of the beta program? I guess the worrying angle to this is that this beta *is* the best build of iOS9 they have.

Reactions: Act3

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham
Reading through this thread has been quite depressing. Apple promised noticeably better battery life with iOS9 and yet people are reporting that it's noticeably worse than iOS8. Then we get the typical "but it's only a beta" comments but seriously, why are Apple releasing sub-standard builds when they presumably have better builds in-house from which they tested their battery life results?

I believe iOS betas have diagnostics and other things running in the background and this causes more battery life than you'd otherwise see. The unoptimized third party apps also take a toll on the battery.

Battery life should be improved for the GM and even more so once apps update to be more compatible with iOS 9.

Reactions: JulianL and permar

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah. I'm planning to downgrade and to stay on iOS 8.4.1 until these issues are fixed. I'll probably update to iOS 9.0.1 or 9.1 when it's released just to be safe.

Given the persistent issues with the iPhone 5S and the various betas, if I still owned an iPhone 5S I'd be very cautious about upgrading to iOS 9. I think I'd be reading this and other forums to see what others' experiences were, since the window for a retrograde once iOS 9 is officially released will be extremely short. YMMV, of course.

Reactions: rillrill

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone have a good iOS9 experience with the rMini 2? I tried a "clean install" (upgraded from a clean install of 8.4.1) and i don't really like it so far. I am a bit sensible to lag and stuttering and the performance of iOS 9 beta 5 (3/4) has been underwhelming on my rMini 2. I had high hopes, that my iPad could be closer again to the 7.1 performance again, which wasn't completely great, but good enough with tolerable fps drops. All iOS 8 iteration have been slightly or way worse. It looks like iOS 9 won't be better.

Ram management has finally been improved. But the responsiveness is awkward in many areas. The new App Switcher, Spotlight and Control Center animations are lagging. App starts are sometimes delayed. Safari doesn't feel very fast. Especially scrolling, keyboard typing, closing last tab in landscape have performance issues. My sideloaded open source adblocker has improved loading times, but the browsing experience isn't great. I know Apple could still sort this out with the final release, but i have the suspicion this could be 8.0 GM - 8.2 all over again. Really not what i was hoping for.

Reactions: doug in albq

JXShine

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
I believe iOS betas have diagnostics and other things running in the background and this causes more battery life than you'd otherwise see. The unoptimized third party apps also take a toll on the battery.

Battery life should be improved for the GM and even more so once apps update to be more compatible with iOS 9.
People say this every year. Face it, battery life isn't going to improve

Reactions: linuslh1996

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham
People say this every year. Face it, battery life isn't going to improve

I don't remember Apple mentioning battery improvements in their keynotes before.

With every iOS beta I've used, the GM/Official release always has better battery life than the beta builds.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
iphone 6 low power mode off

and people need to stop panicing cause their 3hr battery didnt become 9, apple spoke, apple already delivered, its called low power mode, use it constantly if u want the full benifits

Attachments

• IMG_5108.PNG
    IMG_5108.PNG
    105.9 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: batting1000

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

and people need to stop panicing cause their 3hr battery didnt become 9, apple spoke, apple already delivered, its called low power mode, use it constantly if u want the full benifits

So what's with 'high power mode' draining more than iOS8? That isn't quite what people had in mind whilst listening to the Keynote...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
um, cause its not?

You said earlier that low power mode is where the battery life improvements are. Lots of people are saying that in standard/high power mode their battery life is worse than with iOS8.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
You said earlier that low power mode is where the battery life improvements are. Lots of people are saying that in standard/high power mode their battery life is worse than with iOS8.

i did. in regular mode its the same, at least for me any MANY others..as always its only a few with the "problems" (yes its still in beta i get it), that make all the noise, every time about everything..

Reactions: lagwagon

PatrickBynum

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
Hey, everyone. The earlier iOS 9 developer beta was draining battery at a rate of 1% every minute or two. It was fast enough that you could notice significant battery usage in 5-10 minutes of using the phone. That's the main reason this thread took off for iOS 9 developer beta 3.

Nobody is expecting a report of "I got 1 week of standby" by this time. But if it had a significant battery usage issue like the earliest developer beta (1 or 2, can't remember), it would be completely obvious even this early. On top of that, the phones were heating up significantly. Do you need a week to process the idea of "phone=hot?"

I never start these threads or really post in them but I would still like to know if beta 5 had been churning through someone's battery in the last hour or two.

Don't you all get tired of making the same old joke every two weeks?

I have tried using the most recent beta twice, and it overheated my device to unacceptable proportions, and the battery would tick down like a countdown clock, and it's too bad because I really enjoy iOS 9.

Reactions: mikeenglish

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Apple spoke about a noticeable battery improvement without low power mode as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i did. in regular mode its the same, at least for me any MANY others..as always its only a few with the "problems" (yes its still in beta i get it), that make all the noise, every time about everything..
Every time about everything? That's somewhat hyperbolic the other way around.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Ps. After I downgraded my 5s, and reinstalled 8.4.1, I left it unplugged overnight at 100%. When I woke up in the morning it was at 99%. IOS 9 beta would run down my battery if I had left it unplugged. Kudos to iOS 8 for that.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
When I looked at my usage I see background activity under apps like Facebook and Messenger, but I have background app refresh off. Is it a bug in IOS 9?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When I looked at my usage I see background activity under apps like Facebook and Messenger, but I have background app refresh off. Is it a bug in IOS 9?
Have you used those apps at some point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.