Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Reading through this thread has been quite depressing. Apple promised noticeably better battery life with iOS9 and yet people are reporting that it's noticeably worse than iOS8. Then we get the typical "but it's only a beta" comments but seriously, why are Apple releasing sub-standard builds when they presumably have better builds in-house from which they tested their battery life results?
Guess you skipped over the ones that said it was better for them than iOS8? Myself pretty much the same as any of the latter iOS 8's. And iOS9 is not "released" its still in beta so cant really hold Apples feet to the fire just yet. They didn't promise the BETAS would provide noticeably better battery life. :)

Reactions: batting1000

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
People say this every year. Face it, battery life isn't going to improve
Yeah and people also say that battery life is worse with every iOS release. So if that's true, folks can only power on their device by now and immediately have to plug in because the battery died during the boot up. o_O

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Guess you skipped over the ones that said it was better for them than iOS8? Myself pretty much the same as any of the latter iOS 8's. And iOS9 is not "released" its still in beta so cant really hold Apples feet to the fire just yet. They didn't promise the BETAS would provide noticeably better battery life. :)

Well if I see several people complaining then I tend to take any positive reviews with a pinch of salt, especially on here. Most people on MacRumors rave about anything Apple churns out, however disastrous it may be.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well if I see several people complaining then I tend to take any positive reviews with a pinch of salt, especially on here. Most people on MacRumors rave about anything Apple churns out, however disastrous it may be.
I'd have to say that that's not really the case. At best it's 50/50, and often enough it's slanted on the negative side of things given how many complaints and issues and problems people tend to bring up in all kinds of threads.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'd have to say that that's not really the case. At best it's 50/50, and often enough it's slanted on the negative side of things given how many complaints and issues and problems people tend to bring up in all kinds of threads.

Oh I dunno. I've lost count of how many people don't mind iOS bugs, find 1GB of RAM plenty and think 16GB of storage is A-ok.
Still, my point was that after pretty dismal experiences with iOS7 and 8 I'm expecting much of the same with iOS9. To read about people having issues with iOS9 doesn't surprise me one little bit, beta or not.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Oh I dunno. I've lost count of how many people don't mind iOS bugs, find 1GB of RAM plenty and think 16GB of storage is A-ok.
Still, my point was that after pretty dismal experiences with iOS7 and 8 I'm expecting much of the same with iOS9. To read about people having issues with iOS9 doesn't surprise me one little bit, beta or not.

The whole point of a beta is for there to be issues and for them to be fixed. Issues are to be expected.

Reactions: scjr

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yeah you nailed it tho. "several people" in the millions of devices out there. Interesting though it typically seems to be the same ones who have issues with every version of iOS. Saw a post a bit ago from a user complaining about 1/3 of a second longer delay opening an app. Really?!?!?!

I 'll tell ya what tho, Samsung has released some nice looking phones of recent. Maybe Android would be more satisfactory option and less updates to deal with and a tad cheaper too. Just an option for those who cannot get a satisfactory result with iPhone or iOS.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah you nailed it tho. "several people" in the millions of devices out there. Interesting though it typically seems to be the same ones who have issues with every version of iOS. Saw a post a bit ago from a user complaining about 1/3 of a second longer delay opening an app. Really?!?!?!

I 'll tell ya what tho, Samsung has released some nice looking phones of recent. Maybe Android would be more satisfactory option and less updates to deal with and a tad cheaper too. Just an option for those who cannot get a satisfactory result with iPhone or iOS.

Don't forget about weather app not having full 60fps all the time. And the "status bar bug" that it takes a second to go from the larger lock screen size to the smaller size in the home screen. What a terrible OS, why would anyone upgrade with all those issues. /s

I agree too that it always seems to be the same people over and over with "issues" and complaints. Seems to me the only common thing in all these iOS "problems" are the people who have the issues and not the OS. iOS runs great for the majority.

Reactions: sbailey4

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

That's not strictly true, less than a hundred people tend to comment in even the longest threads here. Certainly not millions. I've known several people who got an iPhone contract, hated it, and then went back to Android. Not once did they post online about their negative experience.

I am well aware that most experiences are favourable but that doesn't excuse the fact that Apple build quality and especially software quality is going downhill (IMO). iOS7 was a dog for most of its lifespan and so too was iOS8. As a result, my expectations for iOS9 are very low indeed. Reading here that the betas are problematic isn't very heartening but of course people chirp-up with "but they're only betas, what do you expect?". Sure the argument technically stands when the software is in beta, as iOS9 is now, but my experience over the past two years has shown me that the finished GM product is also tantamount to beta software. It could be argued that iOS7 and iOS8 never left the beta program, especially iOS8. Therefore like I said, my expectations are low. Very low in fact.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Don't forget about weather app not having full 60fps all the time. And the "status bar bug" that it takes a second to go from the larger lock screen size to the smaller size in the home screen. What a terrible OS, why would anyone upgrade with all those issues. /s

I agree too that it always seems to be the same people over and over with "issues" and complaints. Seems to me the only common thing in all these iOS "problems" are the people who have the issues and not the OS. iOS runs great for the majority.

Not a terrible OS. But those bugs should really get fixed. They at least catch my attention every time I see them. A bug is a big and we don't like bugs. That's one of the reasons I like apple product. They usually fix things like this.

And imo people should never be selective about what kind of bugs they complain about.

A fraction of a second delay with opening apps is okay with me. But I really don't like UI bugs. But I think it's great people send bug reports about the delay either way.

Let Apple decide what they think is important.

Battery life issues is to be expected with a beta. My air 2 is actually lasting longer. I've never had battery issues on any iOS device or iOS version. Maybe it's how I use my phone or how I configure it. And the people complaining are not making it up (some might).

Their issue could be hardware. Or software and maybe something Apple could fix. So it's all valid data if it gets sent to Apple. It might even help you someday.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not a terrible OS. But those bugs should really get fixed. They at least catch my attention every time I see them. A bug is a big and we don't like bugs. That's one of the reasons I like apple product. They usually fix things like this.

And imo people should never be selective about what kind of bugs they complain about.

A fraction of a second delay with opening apps is okay with me. But I really don't like UI bugs. But I think it's great people send bug reports about the delay either way.

Let Apple decide what they think is important.

Battery life issues is to be expected with a beta. My air 2 is actually lasting longer. I've never had battery issues on any iOS device or iOS version. Maybe it's how I use my phone or how I configure it. And the people complaining are not making it up (some might).

Their issue could be hardware. Or software and maybe something Apple could fix. So it's all valid data if it gets sent to Apple. It might even help you someday.

I agree people should be sending in reports and feedback to Apple, and never argued that. There are some though who act as if some tiny little thing is the end of the world and makes the OS as a whole complete trash and Apple is lazy/only put out low quality now. They claim their bad experience (that a very small percent even encounter) as fact that the OS sucks.

ALL software will have bugs, it's practically impossible to have 100% bug free software. It comes down to unrealistic expectations and probably wouldn't be satisfied with anything. Even if some jumped ship to Android, it will only be a matter of time before they discover a new set of "issues" to gripe about.

Not everyone encounters bugs as well. Most don't. I personally had no issues (OS ruining) with iOS 7 or 8 and iOS 9 beta. Even in OS X with Yosemite, while the wifi issues did effect quite a lot, I never saw it once going all the way back to the first beta to 10.10.4 (never put 10.10.5 because both my machines are on El Capitan beta.)

Reactions: nordique

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I agree. Oddly enough, I'd say that the balance here is tilted in favor of an Apple-Can-Do-No-Good attitude.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I had a run of four Android phones and each one was a worse experience than the prior one. The iPhone has plenty of design limitations and outright flaws, but it's infinitely better than the alternative, in my experience. Given how complex these things are, that probably shouldn't really be a surprise, but still...

I think my all-time highest level of satisfaction was with my iPhone 4S, which I think I got two years out of as a primary phone and a couple of more as a backup. It's pretty hard to turn the clock back, though.

Reactions: sbailey4

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Here's my usage on a 4s, not too shabby.

4 hours usage is about 30 mins more than what I'd get on iOS 8

Standby time is about 2-2.5x(!) what I'd get on iOS 8

image.png

Considering this is a beta and especially one that has been plagued with battery life issues, this is a very good sign imo for older devices. All the while being a smoother experience than iOS 8.

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Here's my usage on a 4s, not too shabby.

4 hours usage is about 30 mins more than what I'd get on iOS 8

Standby time is about 2-2.5x(!) what I'd get on iOS 8

View attachment 575759

Considering this is a beta and especially one that has been plagued with battery life issues, this is a very good sign imo for older devices. All the while being a smoother experience than iOS 8.

I don't read or speak french but it appears you may have plugged in your iphone and charged it between these results. What does that say beneath photos? Something about batteries in the past 24 hours? If so your numbers are skewed, meaning you got a higher usage because you plugged in and charged it to get a higher result.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't read or speak french but it appears you may have plugged in your iphone and charged it between these results. What does that say beneath photos? Something about batteries in the past 24 hours? If so your numbers are skewed, meaning you got a higher usage because you plugged in and charged it to get a higher result.

I believe it says Background Activity beneath Photos.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I believe it says Background Activity beneath Photos.

I know for the U.S. If you plug in it says something like phone has been plugged in the past 24 hrs. So just seeing those key words made me think that person plugged in.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I know for the U.S. If you plug in it says something like phone has been plugged in the past 24 hrs. So just seeing those key words made me think that person plugged in.

Oh sorry, thought you meant the text directly beneath the word "Photos". Not sure what what the stuff beneath that says

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

It should say the same thing in english or any other language; it basically says "display the battery use by each app in the last 24 hrs" (or 3 days, if you select that option) - its a different set of variables, intended to show the user which apps are taking up most of their general battery time over a 24 hour period and/or 3 day period. It gives one an idea of what to delete or what may be draining battery life, and perhaps turn off location services, for instance.

As per the bolded; These numbers are only shown *from* a full charge. So in other words, one cannot plug the phone in again and take it out to inflate the scores - otherwise on both the "Usage" and "Standby" stats, you will see dashes "--" OR it resets to 0min if the charge value is still high enough - in this case moment you unplug it resets, but you will only end up with lower stats (since it will be a number below 100%).

Therefore, if a user wishes to maximize the value of these stats, they must charge it to 100% - you cannot skew the stats higher; it is not possible as it does not add to the number, bc if you plug the phone in again, it resets the statistics.

At least, this is how it is on iOS 9 beta for my phones whenever I test charge and battery usage.

Last edited:

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Your way ahead of the game considered yourself lucky, some peoples phone shuts off at 20%

my iphone 5 shut off at 100% before

oh look apple is doing free iphone 5 battery replacements now for some, i wonder why....certainly refused to do that for me & like 10 others at the applestore when i needed it

Reactions: nordique

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
For those of you with bad battery life, have you been looking in the list of apps under Battery in settings to see WHAT is using the battery?

For example, in my case Foursquare was active in the background for about three hours after I upgraded. I changed location services for it to "While using" and the problem went away. Maybe ya'll have misbehaving apps?

Reactions: QuarterSwede

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
That's not strictly true, less than a hundred people tend to comment in even the longest threads here. Certainly not millions. I've known several people who got an iPhone contract, hated it, and then went back to Android. Not once did they post online about their negative experience.

I am well aware that most experiences are favourable but that doesn't excuse the fact that Apple build quality and especially software quality is going downhill (IMO). iOS7 was a dog for most of its lifespan and so too was iOS8. As a result, my expectations for iOS9 are very low indeed. Reading here that the betas are problematic isn't very heartening but of course people chirp-up with "but they're only betas, what do you expect?". Sure the argument technically stands when the software is in beta, as iOS9 is now, but my experience over the past two years has shown me that the finished GM product is also tantamount to beta software. It could be argued that iOS7 and iOS8 never left the beta program, especially iOS8. Therefore like I said, my expectations are low. Very low in fact.

You seem to be getting it from both ends by 2 of this forum's most supreme apoligists. Rest assured that you are not alone in your sentiments about the current state of iOS and Apple, Inc. in general. Myself, I truly hope Apple can tighten up their software, it is not as good as it used to be.

I am not afraid to say negitive things about Apple because my overriding goal is the improvement of Apple, unlike some of these "yes-men" that populate the fourm postings with their comments on a daily, no hourly rate. Do you guys have jobs? Or is your forum posting propaganda your paid position?

Last edited:
Reactions: Edd.Dantes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.