Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Oh I dunno. I've lost count of how many people don't mind iOS bugs, find 1GB of RAM plenty and think 16GB of storage is A-ok.
Still, my point was that after pretty dismal experiences with iOS7 and 8 I'm expecting much of the same with iOS9. To read about people having issues with iOS9 doesn't surprise me one little bit, beta or not.
Thank you for commenting on the storage and ram. I'm an iPhone 6 user. While the A8X variant has twice the ram and faster processor, the A8 is powerful for the phone and find it meets many needs of iPhone users.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I get it, iPhone 5S doesn't run great. All I seem to be reading on here is iPhone 5s this and iPhone 5s that lol. How about iPhone 6 plus, how is it?

februarian

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
They've solved all my gripes about it! All the stutter with NC, CC, wallpaper scroll, weather scroll is all but gone! Its actually a much enjoyable experience on the 6 Plus! Only thing that's left is the slight stutter on opening the app switcher.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Where are the performance gains with iOS 9? I've finally gotten around to trying the beta out on my iPhone 6 and I don't see any speed difference. I then went back to apple website to re read what they say about iOS 9.

"The apps in iOS 9 now take advantage of Metal, making more efficient use of the CPU and GPU to deliver faster scrolling, smoother animation, and better overall performance. Email, messages, web pages, and PDFs render faster. And multitasking features on iPad feel fluid and natural"

Keeping my fingers crossed that final release will show some improvement in performance. We have a iPhone 5 in the household that is still running 7.1.2 that renders web pages faster in safari than this.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Where are the performance gains with iOS 9? I've finally gotten around to trying the beta out on my iPhone 6 and I don't see any speed difference. I then went back to apple website to re read what they say about iOS 9.

"The apps in iOS 9 now take advantage of Metal, making more efficient use of the CPU and GPU to deliver faster scrolling, smoother animation, and better overall performance. Email, messages, web pages, and PDFs render faster. And multitasking features on iPad feel fluid and natural"

Keeping my fingers crossed that final release will show some improvement in performance. We have a iPhone 5 in the household that is still running 7.1.2 that renders web pages faster in safari than this.

Yep, I'm still looking for them as well. 8.4.1 is far smoother than beta 5, even from a fresh install. As I've said before though, I'm reserving judgement until the final public version.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Decided to try the public beta a few days ago. I reset all settings after updating to avoid the battery issues people may have been having.

Doesn't seem to have helped. I'm at 70% after just 2 hours of casual usage on WiFi only on iPhone 6. I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance either. I'll report back after this charge cycle is done but after a few days of use I've noticed worse battery life.

How can Apple realistically claim that people will get up to 1 hour more battery life and increased performance months before they finish optimising the software?

Looks like another underwhelming iOS release to me, unless they can pull off something in the GM.

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Quick update over past few days I have noticed my battery life getting a lot worse and my phone starting to heat up whilst on charge... Hopefully there is one more beta before gm release

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Was seriously considering pushing my main phone to iOS 9 but with all the battery complaints I'll wait. :)

My iPad Air is running pretty well on it though. I decided to completely wipe the iPad and start fresh; that may have something to do with it.
I'v used the betas with my main device.. Had terrible issue with first few once I'd reset settings it seems to of dealt with them. Over past couple days though these gremlins are slowly coming back. iPhone 6 64gb

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I'm assuming everyone is sending in their bug reports using the Feedback Assistant, right? And not just complaining about the (legitimate) problems on forums, or downgrading back to iOS 8? That's the point of beta testing.

8.4.1 is much more stable... but, I mean... it should be. 9 is still on a beta, and (by MY amount of feedback and logs) is at least a couple of versions away from any GM candidate. Still having Home Sharing issues, I'm being inundated with "Please sign in to iCloud" notifications, graphics stuttering and doing their own thing sometimes... and THEN some of the same drastic battery issues - though only on my iPad, and only since the last 2 beta builds.

All of that, and me still not quite understanding the "swipe right" search vs. the "swipe down" search (or necessity of one), or whatever the hell they consider themselves doing with the Music app, and I still say that it should be a worthwile upgrade when it's all said and done.

REPORT THOSE BUGS AND ISSUES.

(Seeing immediate performance gains with the El Cap beta on my Macs; iOS 9, much less)

Reactions: dsh3

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
All of that, and me still not quite understanding the "swipe right" search vs. the "swipe down" search (or necessity of one)
tis a bit weird but basically:
swipe down: geared for keyboard entry (comes up automatically), geared for finding apps as you only get the app suggestions, everything else keyboard
swipe right: geared for tapping, geared for other suggestions like contacts, locations and news.

Reactions: Enygmatic

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Well it's going from bad to worse today.... How strange after so long with such great battery life.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 238
  • image.png
    image.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 235

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
tis a bit weird but basically:
swipe down: geared for keyboard entry (comes up automatically), geared for finding apps as you only get the app suggestions, everything else keyboard
swipe right: geared for tapping, geared for other suggestions like contacts, locations and news.
I don't mind the necessary complications that come with added features, but (as also shown with some of the navigation/functionality on the Watch) Apple seems to be forgetting a bit of its "intuitiveness is key" foundation.

Reactions: GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Well it's going from bad to worse today.... How strange after so long with such great battery life.
Wow, even with intense use 2 hours is pretty poor. There's definitely an issue with the install on your phone. What's the app claiming the most battery out of interest?

apfelfreak32

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
Like @Blaster13 suggested I resetted the iPhone 6 settings and the battery life is amazing since then. It's like night and day, lasts almolst twice as long! Thanx ! :)

Dominick624

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2014
Well this was my experience this morning on the beach with full LTE signal on an iPhone 6. All I did was listen to music, sent a couple of snapchats, and safari.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    127 KB · Views: 235

permar

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
Quick update over past few days I have noticed my battery life getting a lot worse and my phone starting to heat up whilst on charge... Hopefully there is one more beta before gm release

My 5S is the other way around. It's getting better and better...

Photodiode

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
Here's my results on PB3 so far (iPhone 5S)
5 hours mostly of messaging via EDGE (2G internet), rarely with 3G internet, and maybe last hour on Wi-Fi. It's known that 2G and 3G drains battery a lot, so I consider my result is not that bad... But I'm sure it should be better(
IMG_0007.PNG

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Decided to try the public beta a few days ago. I reset all settings after updating to avoid the battery issues people may have been having.

Doesn't seem to have helped. I'm at 70% after just 2 hours of casual usage on WiFi only on iPhone 6. I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance either. I'll report back after this charge cycle is done but after a few days of use I've noticed worse battery life.

How can Apple realistically claim that people will get up to 1 hour more battery life and increased performance months before they finish optimising the software?

Looks like another underwhelming iOS release to me, unless they can pull off something in the GM.

Because Apple is typically several builds ahead internally of the latest release. They weren't basing their claims at WWDC off of beta 1...they likely used a way newer and more optimized build to do so.

Reactions: Kettil

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
6. iPad Air isn't doing quite as well though.
Looks like your location indicator might be stuck on. I had to toggle the frequent locations on and off to get rid of it even though my frequent locations was turned off to begin with.

Oops this is for mous

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.