Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
That looks nice, but when it comes to charging devices, I tend to stick with the known brands.
Agreed, was more to use while I decide on a good one but I will say this is really nice - just get nervous since its in use a lot and these no name brand ones could be anything inside. Wish there were good ones in the $60-70 ish range, need 2-3 of them!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Agreed, was more to use while I decide on a good one but I will say this is really nice - just get nervous since its in use a lot and these no name brand ones could be anything inside. Wish there were good ones in the $60-70 ish range, need 2-3 of them!
I got this one on sale and like it.

IMG_0135.png

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Nothing wrong with the Belkins, but I am eyeing this newer Anker (not the cube):
I just tried this stand with my brand new iPhone Pro 15 last night and it didn't go so well. The phone seems to overheat after charging for 30 minutes or so in nightstand mode. Once it overheats, nightstand mode turns off and it goes into a loop of "charging, not charging, charging, not charging" every few seconds and starts beeping on the stand, which probably makes it overheat even more.

I didn't leave it there for long because it woke me up in the middle of the night with the incessant charge on/off beeping. I turned it vertically and let it charge in normal (not nightstand mode) and it didn't overheat.

I suspect that nightstand mode is going to kill a lot of iPhones - why does this thing get so damn hot?

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I just tried this stand with my brand new iPhone Pro 15 last night and it didn't go so well. The phone seems to overheat after charging for 30 minutes or so in nightstand mode. Once it overheats, nightstand mode turns off and it goes into a loop of "charging, not charging, charging, not charging" every few seconds and starts beeping on the stand, which probably makes it overheat even more.

I didn't leave it there for long because it woke me up in the middle of the night with the incessant charge on/off beeping. I turned it vertically and let it charge in normal (not nightstand mode) and it didn't overheat.

I suspect that nightstand mode is going to kill a lot of iPhones - why does this thing get so damn hot?
Crap - was waiting for a sale then going to jump on this one. Thanks for posting this - will wait to see what their response/fix is for this if there is one. What are you switching to?

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Crap - was waiting for a sale then going to jump on this one. Thanks for posting this - will wait to see what their response/fix is for this if there is one. What are you switching to?
I'll let you know how it goes - just opened an RMA case w/ them. It is possible this is because my phone was still downloading data from iCloud for initial setup, which definitely caused it to get warm before I put it on the charger.

I got the warning on the battery screen that it stopped charging due to overheat. FYI I have 80% max charging enabled (optimized charging mode disabled).

Here is the auto-response from Anker's AI:
I'm sorry to hear that your iPhone 15 Pro is overheating while using the stand to charge. This can happen due to several reasons, such as the phone being in a deep discharge state, or the optimized charging mode being turned on. Here are a few steps you can take to resolve this issue: 1. Ensure your iPhone is running the latest iOS version. 2. Make sure the iPhone is not in a deep discharge state. (Deep discharge state: Leave the phone for more than 4 hours after it is turned off) 3. Turn off the optimized charging mode if it is on as it will charge slowly after 80% of the battery is charged. You can do this by going to "Settings" - "Battery" - "Battery Health" - "Optimized battery charging" - Turn it off. If the stand itself is getting too hot, it could be a defect. Here are some troubleshooting steps: 1. Restart your phone and try to charge the phone without the phone case. 2. Use a more powerful wall charger and another cable to power your wireless charger if there is no DC adapter came with your charger. Please know that iPhone 5V/1A stock chargers and computer USB ports do not have enough power for a wireless charger to charge. 3. Ensure the phone is aligned with the center of the wireless charger 4. Try the charger with another wireless charging phone. If these steps do not resolve the issue and your order is still within the warranty period, we can initiate the warranty process. For this, we will need: 1. A screenshot or pdf of the invoice confirming the order number of your purchase (or a picture of the receipt if it was purchased from a store) 2. Your current shipping address 3. The serial number (SN) is located on the device (located on a tag, engraved near one of the plugs, or located on the item itself). If you can't find the SN, please provide a picture of the product itself with the Anker logo showing. I hope this helps, and I look forward to resolving this issue for you. If the issue persists, don't hesitate to reply to this email. We're always here to help!

Reactions: MiamitoKeyWest

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
Reactions: iEnvy

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I'm using Apple's magsafe with this. Looks nice and fits my 15 PM, 14 Pro and 13 mini.

This is exctly what I'm thinking for my night table. Is it super lightweight? I know is hollow and won't suction or stick to anything but wanted something sturdy enough not to tip/fall over.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I sent back the ESR MagSafe stand because I didn't like it anymore. I picked this up at the Apple Store today. I like it so much better.

IMG_0174.jpeg

mophie 3-in-1 stand for MagSafe Charger

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
This is exctly what I'm thinking for my night table. Is it super lightweight? I know is hollow and won't suction or stick to anything but wanted something sturdy enough not to tip/fall over.
It's made of silicon and it's just heavy enough to not move when you lift the phone up. What I like about it, is that the cable is pretty well hidden and comes out only in the back.

Reactions: MiamitoKeyWest

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I had the white BOOST one from Costco when it was on sale last year. Needless to say, none of my iPhones will not charge anymore, and the AirPods will randomly stop charging. The Apple Watch charger worked fine. I sent it back for a refund, less than a year owning it. There’s a thread on here from MacRumors highlighting the issue. I would avoid it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.