Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah agreed managed to pick a new one up for £93 🇬🇧 I can stomach that
Wow. Where from? It’s the MagSafe stand that I wanted because I spend some nights at mine and some at my GFs. £149 was too much for me to pay for the cube. I have considered other cheaper portable 3-1 solutions but some reviews give me cold feet.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I bought the ESR 25W 3-in-1 charger stand for my 15 Pro Max, Series 9 watch and AirPods 3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CD1X5LKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I like the design, fit, finish, etc. But it goes back tomorrow.

My AirPods get very hot while charging, almost to the point that I wonder if they've been damaged. And the CryoBoost fan stays on way after the phone has been removed.

Not sure what I'll try next, but ESR won't be it.

Reactions: iScone

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I bought the ESR 25W 3-in-1 charger stand for my 15 Pro Max, Series 9 watch and AirPods 3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CD1X5LKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

My AirPods get very hot while charging, almost to the point that I wonder if they've been damaged. And the CryoBoost fan stays on way after the phone has been removed.

I wonder if it’s the 25w. I ordered the cheaper version that’s not 25w.

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
I just tried this stand with my brand new iPhone Pro 15 last night and it didn't go so well. The phone seems to overheat after charging for 30 minutes or so in nightstand mode. Once it overheats, nightstand mode turns off and it goes into a loop of "charging, not charging, charging, not charging" every few seconds and starts beeping on the stand, which probably makes it overheat even more.

I didn't leave it there for long because it woke me up in the middle of the night with the incessant charge on/off beeping. I turned it vertically and let it charge in normal (not nightstand mode) and it didn't overheat.

I suspect that nightstand mode is going to kill a lot of iPhones - why does this thing get so damn hot?
I wanted to check back in on this thread now that Apple has publicly acknowledged thermal issues related to charging. I believe Anker 737 is just an unfortunate "victim" here and their product is probably fine for most use cases, but I bought 2 additional charges that don't experience any overheating and I think I know what's going on here:
  • If you have an iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max and are using something like the Anker 737 to "fast charge" while running with the screen always on in nightstand mode, expect it to overheat, especially if your phone is also doing anything in the background like syncing with iCloud or downloading a lot of data.
    • The key here is "fast charging" - I bought this excellent charger that looks great and is half the price but doesn't support the fastest magsafe charging rates and it works great and my phone never overheats in nightstand mode.
  • If you want to use iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max and are determined to fast charge it, I recommend buying this stand instead of the Anker 737 because it has active cooling. I'm using it on my desk and it stays very cool to the touch while keeping the phone fully charged all day in nightstand mode.
Another frustrating thing about this experience is that Apple doesn't seem to have done much testing of charging their device in the real world - very disappointing for a company of their resources. The new non-leather material cases are basically woven cloth, which traps even more heat, so basically this is the bad combination:
  • iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max
  • Fast charging
  • While downloading data
  • And your phone is in a case that traps heat inside

Treble

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Manchester UK
Wow. Where from? It’s the MagSafe stand that I wanted because I spend some nights at mine and some at my GFs. £149 was too much for me to pay for the cube. I have considered other cheaper portable 3-1 solutions but some reviews give me cold feet.
Anker eBay £149 offer £100 they came back at me £110 I accepted then use clearance15 for 15% off and I get 10% cb

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023

I bought this one too and don't have these issues. The Airpods Pro case gets warm but not hot, and the cryoboost fan turns off whenever power isn't being drawn from the magsafe charger. You should probably return it and try another if you want. The $65 stand here is half price and also works great without active cooling: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRHZ9YX9

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
For anyone that travels, this ESR 3-in-1 is working out great for me. I love it! I also use it at home but the carry case is a really nice touch when you have to pack it up. Nightstand works when rotated and the magnet is strong. It's not fast charging but if it's mainly overnight charging, it's fine.

Reactions: mjschabow

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I got this one. Anker Wireless, PowerWave 2-in-1 Magnetic Charging Stand Lite with USB-C Cable for iPhone 14/14 Pro/14 Plus/14 Pro Max/13/13 Pro /13 Pro Max, AirPods 2/Pro (No AC Adapter) https://a.co/d/6O3hvFD

Charged my phone and AirPods Pro last night with no problems.
IMG_0130.jpeg

Reactions: Macalicious2011

LoafingBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
For anyone that travels, this ESR 3-in-1 is working out great for me. I love it! I also use it at home but the carry case is a really nice touch when you have to pack it up. Nightstand works when rotated and the magnet is strong. It's not fast charging but if it's mainly overnight charging, it's fine.

That looks very nice for a travel charger! Given the heat issues, I think avoiding fast charging for these chargers is a good idea (unless they have active cooling like the non-portable ESR one).

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Anker eBay £149 offer £100 they came back at me £110 I accepted then use clearance15 for 15% off and I get 10% cb
Good lad. EBay is underrated for buying new electronics. Some retailer plug their warehouse into both amazon and eBay. Offer + occasional discount codes can make a purchase cheaper than amazon. Furthermore they also sell clearence, open box and return items on eBay with full warranty.

Reactions: Treble

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Reactions: jldesutter83

Treble

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Manchester UK
Good lad. EBay is underrated for buying new electronics. Some retailer plug their warehouse into both amazon and eBay. Offer + occasional discount codes can make a purchase cheaper than amazon. Furthermore they also sell clearence, open box and return items on eBay with full warranty.
Exactly it pays to check eBay Amazon all retailers there’s deals galore if you put the effort in

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I bought this one too and don't have these issues. The Airpods Pro case gets warm but not hot, and the cryoboost fan turns off whenever power isn't being drawn from the magsafe charger. You should probably return it and try another if you want. The $65 stand here is half price and also works great without active cooling: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRHZ9YX9
I am returning it. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I'm looking at these:

61PJm8RFFnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61C-Dmr2ZqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I wanted to check back in on this thread now that Apple has publicly acknowledged thermal issues related to charging. I believe Anker 737 is just an unfortunate "victim" here and their product is probably fine for most use cases, but I bought 2 additional charges that don't experience any overheating and I think I know what's going on here:
  • If you have an iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max and are using something like the Anker 737 to "fast charge" while running with the screen always on in nightstand mode, expect it to overheat, especially if your phone is also doing anything in the background like syncing with iCloud or downloading a lot of data.
    • The key here is "fast charging" - I bought this excellent charger that looks great and is half the price but doesn't support the fastest magsafe charging rates and it works great and my phone never overheats in nightstand mode.
  • If you want to use iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max and are determined to fast charge it, I recommend buying this stand instead of the Anker 737 because it has active cooling. I'm using it on my desk and it stays very cool to the touch while keeping the phone fully charged all day in nightstand mode.
Another frustrating thing about this experience is that Apple doesn't seem to have done much testing of charging their device in the real world - very disappointing for a company of their resources. The new non-leather material cases are basically woven cloth, which traps even more heat, so basically this is the bad combination:
  • iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max
  • Fast charging
  • While downloading data
  • And your phone is in a case that traps heat inside

I had the 737 and now the Twelve South HiRise 3 Deluxe and have experienced no overheating issues with my 15 Pro Max while charging all night in standby mode.

I was actually surprised when I first read that this was a widespread issue. Perhaps other variables beyond what Apple acknowledged?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Hi are you able to use a leather case with your AirPods whilst it’s charging do you know or does it neee to be one of ESR’s magnetic ones?
My ear buds are Tozo T6 which are sensationally good. They charge wirelessly. I can buy an official jet case that won't prohibit wireless charging. As with any case, you need to read reviews to find out whether they affect charging, charging speeds or heat whilst charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.