Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

awp69

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

This is still happening to me on an iPad Pro 9.7” running Beta 5. It all started after I enabled iCloud Photo Library for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I had >30GB free before then, and now I’ve got 8GB free and 26GB used by System (it was 24GB yesterday and I had 10GB free).

Not good to hear that beta 5 didn’t fix the problem.

pudge104

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
Hi,

This is still happening to me on an iPad Pro 9.7” running Beta 5. It all started after I enabled iCloud Photo Library for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I had >30GB free before then, and now I’ve got 8GB free and 26GB used by System (it was 24GB yesterday and I had 10GB free).
[doublepost=1502200040][/doublepost]Hi,

OK, this was unexpected - I may have found a solution to this (or it could just be coincidence). I was in the process of filing out a bug report about this issue still being there in Beta 5, and triggered the generation of a fresh sysdiagnose report before I did so. And when I went to attach the new sysdiagnose, my “System” usage had fallen from 26GB to 8GB. So somehow triggering the creation of the fresh diagnostics has sorted this out, at least for now. So this is definitely something that could be worth a try for anyone else who’s having this issue.

For those who are unfamiliar with the process, you trigger the creation of a sysdiagnose dump by holding down both volume buttons and the power button for about a quarter of a second.

This didn’t work for me and my system is still over 80GB. Will see if the new beta does anything for me, but the beta feedback team did contact me last night for more information. Hopefully they can help.

awp69

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
This didn’t work for me and my system is still over 80GB. Will see if the new beta does anything for me, but the beta feedback team did contact me last night for more information. Hopefully they can help.

Please let us know if they can provide any answers — especially if today’s PB doesn’t help. This sucks.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL

This also didn't work for me on a ipad pro 9.7" 32 GB.

How do you know if the sysdiagnose worked? I didn't see any notification that anything happened.

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
This also didn't work for me on a ipad pro 9.7" 32 GB.

How do you know if the sysdiagnose worked? I didn't see any notification that anything happened.

It actually increased my System files by about 2GB.

You can see report(s) in the Feedback app.

awp69

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Still not seeing any progress.

Question: are you guys using “Offload” on any of your apps?

When I started having this problem, I began using it to get rid of stuff to continue to use the damn phone since it kept getting full. Not sure if the offloaded apps would be continuing to cause a problem even if there is a fix with PB 4.

Edit: NM. It just instantly dropped from 27 GB to 7 GB in System storage. So I guess it kicked in! Yeah! :)

pudge104

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
Still not seeing any progress.

Question: are you guys using “Offload” on any of your apps?

When I started having this problem, I began using it to get rid of stuff to continue to use the damn phone since it kept getting full. Not sure if the offloaded apps would be continuing to cause a problem even if there is a fix with PB 4.

No progress here either. I haven’t used that. I deleted all of my music and my phone thinks it’s all still on here but it’s now all under “Other”. Plus the 90GB System.

Also, under About, my capacity is listed straight up as 128 GB. I always remember it being a little less because no phone has it’s true listed capacity.

Last edited:

awp69

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
No progress here either. I haven’t used that. I deleted all of my music and my phone thinks it’s all still on here but it’s now all under “Other”. Plus the 90GB System.

Also, under About, my capacity is listed straight up as 128 GB. I always remember it being a little less because no phone has it’s true listed compaction.

Not sure if you saw my edit but it finally kicked in and System storage is back to a normal-ish 7 or so GB.

Hope it eventually goes down for you (and hope it stays down for me).

Reactions: twanj

pudge104

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
Not sure if you saw my edit but it finally kicked in and System storage is back to a normal-ish 7 or so GB.

Hope it eventually goes down for you (and hope it stays down for me).

Ha, I was just logging in to say the same thing, mine has kicked in as well. I'm at about 13GB. That's ok, I'll take it, glad it appears to be fixed!

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Public Beta 4
Fine now

6de9985eb2ec9313bffbd0fced880e7e.png

5b9746b80cd0b91f9247b145124e9d0f.png

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I've been deleting large attachments in Messages so System is down to 5.25 GB.

not sure why that counts as System, but oh well. at least this is as good with this beta & this issue so far!

Last edited:

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Mine is at 7.06 GB and I'm on the latest public beta. Its almost all of my storage gone. 1.8GB in Photos then just 100's of MB for the apps I have installed and a little bit for Messages. The PhoneClean Windows PC application won't clean anything as the backup is encrypted (this is forced on and I cannot turn it off due to work policy - I have a profile installed for my work emails, VPN, etc).

What can I do clear this off?

uncleiven

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Same issue here on the latest PB

Shame the old “try to rent a HD movie trick” doesn’t work like it use to. That would clear several Gb from my phone if it was nearly full

609e3ae9fc28158d4a86b21c1ff54f4a.jpg

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I came on here specifically to see about this, and even when reading it my iPhone is still ballooning. ive deleted everyhthing I can but every time I free up space the iPhone eats it!

I only have a 16gb iPhone 6, ive added up everytinhg I have in settings and it comes to under 6 gb but system is 9.55gb. it was under 8 half an hour ago. I tried that press both volume buttons and the power button but I think that made it go up not down. I'm now again getting storage space full warnings despite deleting about 300mb of stuff this morning, I now only have 35mb of space. I'm tempted to eraze everything but then I think the phone would just eat that space too.

EDIT maybe it was the volume and power buttons but I lost even more space, and then every time now I look there is more and more space, back to 2.1gb and system down to 7.45gb from 9.5

Last edited:

uncleiven

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
My phone is unusable at the min as it’s constantly getting full. I’m going to have to switch back to iOS 10

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I am having the same issue, although I have another question at the same time. How is everyone able to see how much system takes up on their device?

I am using iphone 6s beta 5 and I go to iphone storage and I scroll to the bottom and there is nowhere to be found any mention of system storage...

uncleiven

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Gone back to iOS 10 for now as it was driving me mad! I'll keep an eye on later betas to see if he issue has gone away

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I had the same issue on my iPad Pro. I ended up having to restore it because it wouldn't shrink. I think this is a bug with the betas and I think there some kind of logging process thats goes out of control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.