Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Last week my X showed 95% battery health. Yesterday 94% and today 93%. It's going faster now...may have to have it replaced before the end of the year.

I heard Apple dosen't take the X apart the replace the battery, they will just give you a "white box" iPhone instead...true?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
But why would they agree to replace it.

c7c37597a36cb1365ac85dd7b3b49c82.png

f1f91fa8859170c334f5cc6906262dd6.png

*Through December 31, 2018, the out-of-warranty battery service fee is $29 for all eligible iPhone 6 or later models. Battery service at $29 may be limited to one repair per iPhone. After December 31, 2018, the fee will change to $49 for all these products except iPhone X, which will change to $69.

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2017
c7c37597a36cb1365ac85dd7b3b49c82.png

f1f91fa8859170c334f5cc6906262dd6.png

*Through December 31, 2018, the out-of-warranty battery service fee is $29 for all eligible iPhone 6 or later models. Battery service at $29 may be limited to one repair per iPhone. After December 31, 2018, the fee will change to $49 for all these products except iPhone X, which will change to $69.
Its clearly mentioned if ur iphone has an issue whereas there is no issue with your iphone,losing the battery health cannot be considered as an issue or is it considered as an issue.

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
There’s no magic around why some phones battery die earlier than others. It’s a combination of high temperatures, deep discharge (down to under 20%), fast charging and also charging when the phone is too cold (eg from being outside in a cold night).

The biggest killer is having the phone at 100% and being outside in high temperatures (eg. summer holidays at the beach with the phone).

To maximise your phones battery charge
- try not to let the phone go under 50%,
- try to keep the phone under 25C and if you will be using the phone in high temperatures don’t have it fully charged (keep at under 80%)
- try not to leave the phone at 100% charge for too long, I.e. don’t leave it plugged in overnight.

The above can be easily achieved by charging little and often. Get yourself a QI charger and use it often throughout the day.

The above apply to all lipo batteries. If you want to learn how to maximise your battery life the below is an excellent read:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Its clearly mentioned if ur iphone has an issue whereas there is no issue with your iphone,losing the battery health cannot be considered as an issue or is it considered as an issue.

There do not have to be an issue for them to replace my battery. I was already told I will not be charged for my battery to be replaced and I’m going with that.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Bought in Dec when it was released in the country I'm in. 260 Cycles and the X is saying 91%. Coconut says 91.7%.

I'm not overly concerned as I will sell it in a few weeks when they release the XS Max.
[doublepost=1539670096][/doublepost]
There’s no magic around why some phones battery die earlier than others. It’s a combination of high temperatures, deep discharge (down to under 20%), fast charging and also charging when the phone is too cold (eg from being outside in a cold night).

The biggest killer is having the phone at 100% and being outside in high temperatures (eg. summer holidays at the beach with the phone).

To maximise your phones battery charge
- try not to let the phone go under 50%,
- try to keep the phone under 25C and if you will be using the phone in high temperatures don’t have it fully charged (keep at under 80%)
- try not to leave the phone at 100% charge for too long, I.e. don’t leave it plugged in overnight.

The above can be easily achieved by charging little and often. Get yourself a QI charger and use it often throughout the day.

The above apply to all lipo batteries. If you want to learn how to maximise your battery life the below is an excellent read:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Some of the above has been known to be incorrect for a long time now!

- There is nothing wrong with letting the phone drop below 50%. It is only recommended not to let them completely discharge too often.
- Extremes of temperature can reduce battery life - but having the phone above 80% in high temp environment doesn't affect the battery life. The battery is going to get hot regardless.
- When your phone gets to 100% the power management chip in the phone shuts off the charging. It then switches to a trickle charge mode to keep it topped up. So leaving the phone plugged in overnight categorically does not affect the battery life of the phone.

There is no such thing as "the biggest killer of batteries". Lots of things affect the battery usage and life.

Just use the phone and if you think there is an issue take it to apple, let them run the diagnostic check and see the result.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
I've heard Apple doesn't replace the batteries in the iPhone X and will instead give you an in store replacement. Is this true? Going to bring mine down soon and get it replaced. Just wondering what I should expect.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Mine is at 89% and I had this since december 23, 2017. I just updated at ios 12 beta 10. Man I always charge my phone when it goes down at 40-50%.
Why would you not let it go down below 40-50%? Just enjoy the phone and stop babying it... You spend soo much on a device that you barely use. Why worry sooo much on the battery health? I can’t believe some will not charge it past 90% and then not let it go down past 50%...You do all that and it doesn’t work.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I've heard Apple doesn't replace the batteries in the iPhone X and will instead give you an in store replacement. Is this true? Going to bring mine down soon and get it replaced. Just wondering what I should expect.

I hope not because I don’t want another X. I want to keep the same one I received on launch day.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Got my X on BlackFriday and i am still @99% according to Apple battery health

Coconut Battery shows %100 after 224 cycles.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Oh I see. If that’s the case then I would rather have a replacement then since this phone have to last me until September 2019’s iPhone.

I doubt it. iPhone 7 has IP67 rating too. Same as X. And 7 receives battery replacements. Besides, it wouldn’t have been clubbed at USD 29 with others if it needed a device swap.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I doubt it. iPhone 7 has IP67 rating too. Same as X. And 7 receives battery replacements. Besides, it wouldn’t have been clubbed at USD 29 with others if it needed a device swap.

Honestly I would rather keep my same X and have the battery replaced, but if they have to give me another replacement I also wouldn’t mind that.

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Bought in Dec when it was released in the country I'm in. 260 Cycles and the X is saying 91%. Coconut says 91.7%.

I'm not overly concerned as I will sell it in a few weeks when they release the XS Max.
[doublepost=1539670096][/doublepost]

Some of the above has been known to be incorrect for a long time now!

- There is nothing wrong with letting the phone drop below 50%. It is only recommended not to let them completely discharge too often.
- Extremes of temperature can reduce battery life - but having the phone above 80% in high temp environment doesn't affect the battery life. The battery is going to get hot regardless.
- When your phone gets to 100% the power management chip in the phone shuts off the charging. It then switches to a trickle charge mode to keep it topped up. So leaving the phone plugged in overnight categorically does not affect the battery life of the phone.

There is no such thing as "the biggest killer of batteries". Lots of things affect the battery usage and life.

Just use the phone and if you think there is an issue take it to apple, let them run the diagnostic check and see the result.

Did you even bother reading the link I pasted in the post? It contains experimental data on the above. Also why do you reckon Tesla doesn’t allow the cars to charge past 80-90% unless you force it to? Because having a battery at 100% charge is accelerating it’s chemical degradation and heat is accelerating it even further. More than 50% quicker actually between 50% and 100% charge.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Question about battery replacement (29 bucks) do they go with what is showing on iOS battery health? Cause my mom iPhone 7 is showing 88% but coconuts is showing 77%. I tend to not trust what iOS is showing. Will this be an issue for replacement?

bimmahh

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Question about battery replacement (29 bucks) do they go with what is showing on iOS battery health? Cause my mom iPhone 7 is showing 88% but coconuts is showing 77%. I tend to not trust what iOS is showing. Will this be an issue for replacement?

that wasn't my experience.. they just ran diagnostics and said come back in 2 hours. No grief at all, since I was paying the fee.

Reactions: dazz87

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida

Apple store will go by whatever iOS states. They hook your iPhone up to their diagnostic device and it will tell them the same battery health that you see on your phone. The genius will say “Oh well your battery is still ok, it’s only showing 88%....” You then tell them you want it replaced anyway and you will pay the $29. They’ll have your iPhone for 2 hours, you’ll get a ticket. Come back hand them the ticket and you get the phone back. Just went through this with my friend’s iPhone.

Reactions: dazz87

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
My experience today (10/21) at the Apple Store in Dallas.

10 mins prior to entering the Apple Store, I chatted with Apple support and documented the battery degradation. Genius pulled up the notes attached to the serial number of the phone. Launch day X at 92% with ~250 cycles according to Apple's official diagnostic. Got the battery replaced completely free of charge (along with the mandatory speakers replacement for the X). In and out of the flagship Dallas store in an hour.

FWIW: No AppleCare, caseless, iPad charger nightly, public beta iOS

Hassle free experience.

Last edited:

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
There is a mandatory speaker replacement for the iPhone X?

Yes, the $55 fee was waived though. Genius said it was impossible for them to replace the battery without also replacing the speakers. When they returned the phone to me, bundled with my X, were two white boxes that contained the old speakers and old battery that they were shipping back to the factory.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yes, the $55 fee was waived though. Genius said it was impossible for them to replace the battery without also replacing the speakers. When they returned the phone to me, bundled with my X, were two white boxes that contained the old speakers and old battery that they were shipping back to the factory.

Wow I never knew about a mandatory speaker replacement for the X when replacing the battery. Guess I’ll be dealing with the same thing in a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.