Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Beta 5 is the bomb!

Everything running much faster and more fluidly than before.

Very happy!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This has probably been mentioned but I just noticed it now after all these weeks...

No HomeKit control via Siri? Really?

homekitsiri.png

Ditto. Hopefully, it will be fixed on the server side.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
View attachment 644263

Ditto. Hopefully, it will be fixed on the server side.
Yeah, hopefully. Seems silly that out of my Mac, TV, Watch, iPad, and iPhone....the Mac is the only one that can't.

What concerns me though is there doesn't seem to be any HomeKit awareness in Sierra at all. All of the other devices have some kind of Home awareness, or settings.

Strikes me as possibly being a 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 feature add.

well weapon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
(Ugh, every time I log in, I forget that I picked a terrible username. Alas!)

Not sure if new today or new in Sierra — all windows now gently snap to each other when you move them near another window. Try it by dragging any cocoa window to butt it up to the edge of any other cocoa window. It sits really neatly next to it, slightly snapping. Lovely.

Brilliant for the slightly more OCD among us.

r3volution11

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD

Not sure if new today or new in Sierra — all windows now gently snap to each other when you move them near another window. Try it by dragging any cocoa window to butt it up to the edge of any other cocoa window. It sits really neatly next to it, slightly snapping. Lovely.

That's been there since the start. Was announced as a feature. And yea, it really helps. :)

Reactions: 32828870

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Yeah, hopefully. Seems silly that out of my Mac, TV, Watch, iPad, and iPhone....the Mac is the only one that can't.

What concerns me though is there doesn't seem to be any HomeKit awareness in Sierra at all. All of the other devices have some kind of Home awareness, or settings.

Strikes me as possibly being a 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 feature add.

What's interesting to me from that screenshot is that Sierra clearly knows that "turn off the lights" is a HomeKit request specifically - like it doesn't give you back a generic "I'm sorry, I didn't get that" response. It knows what HomeKit is and what kinds of requests fall under that category. It makes me wonder if you might be right in that HomeKit could be on its way. I hope so! If so, I hope they don't leave out a standalone Home app - I'd love a visual way to control my devices, especially for when talking isn't ideal, such as when my partner's sleeping or something.

Reactions: 32828870

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
What's interesting to me from that screenshot is that Sierra clearly knows that "turn off the lights" is a HomeKit request specifically - like it doesn't give you back a generic "I'm sorry, I didn't get that" response. It knows what HomeKit is and what kinds of requests fall under that category. It makes me wonder if you might be right in that HomeKit could be on its way. I hope so! If so, I hope they don't leave out a standalone Home app - I'd love a visual way to control my devices, especially for when talking isn't ideal, such as when my partner's sleeping or something.
Yeah I'd almost bet money on a .1 or .2 release.

Fich1979

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
Why isn't Siri able to set a timer or an alarm clock?
The "hot corners" feature to open the Notification Center when swiping the cursor into the upper right corner isn't working anymore.

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Apple still hasn't resolved the problem with graphic glitches in the top of the bar in Safari app when loading pages. It's frustrating

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
i tried four times but 2,14 GB of PB5 update gives a "can not be verified" error.
Have you done the standard deleting of the App Store update/download cache?

If nothing else works and you're still insistent on updating to the latest PB you can do a manual full update/restore in OS X Recovery. It'll download and install the full PB5 system image.

darkweather

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Have you done the standard deleting of the App Store update/download cache?

If nothing else works and you're still insistent on updating to the latest PB you can do a manual full update/restore in OS X Recovery. It'll download and install the full PB5 system image.
Fifth time, it's updating now.
It's updated.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin

Wow, I missed this feature too and it's so subtle I didn't notice until your comment. I have 3 27" LED displays on my nMac Pro6,1 so I tend not to use fullscreen and other similar OS X features. I opened two Safari windows and moved the right side window alongside the righthand side of the left window and noticed it was keeping them from overlapping, maintaining a slight fine line between the two. It's almost like window-snapping but without making each window full screen, which I love. Great for those of us with more than one display.

PS My OCD loves your OCD ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 11.26.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 11.26.59 PM.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It seems like Safari has stopped using the San Francisco font on my MacBook. Is it possible I've changed a setting somewhere?

Or is it because webpages can choose their own fonts?

Last edited:

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
It seems like Safari has stopped the San Francisco font on my MacBook. Is it possible I've changed a setting somewhere?

Huh, I have no idea Safari could effect the system font. Aside from opening Font Book, selecting all your fonts and right-clicking on "Validate" to ensure they're all in check I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps starting and resetting NVRAM, clearing caches, the usual?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Huh, I have no idea Safari could effect the system font. Aside from opening Font Book, selecting all your fonts and right-clicking on "Validate" to ensure they're all in check I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps starting and resetting NVRAM, clearing caches, the usual?

Sorry, I mistyped my original comment. I was saying that Safari is no longer using the San Francisco font on my MacBook.

But now thinking about it, I think webpages can choose their own fonts so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it on webpages.

Basically, ignore me.

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
Sorry, I mistyped my original comment. I was saying that Safari is no longer using the San Francisco font on my MacBook.

But now thinking about it, I think webpages can choose their own fonts so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it on webpages.

Basically, ignore me.

Ah, ok. I was wondering if ~15 years of use I missed something. You are correct, as fonts very greatly between systems, browsers use "universal" fonts, i.e. fonts that exist on most (if not all) systems and mobile devices. Should a site use a custom font that isn't on someone's system, the font will default to one of the web fonts. I am curious as to why it stopped displaying the (SF) system font as that cannot be changed by default unless using a customization app such as "MacPilot" (which can wreak havoc on systems if not careful).

I'll check into this and see if it's been reported and if not will do so.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
You cannot properly customise the Language and Regions advanced settings like you were able to do with El Capitan and earlier versions. (The same thing applies to iOS 10.)

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 23.12.48.png Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 23.13.24.png

Reactions: TheralSadurns
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.