Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

inequals

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
"United" Kingdom
Just rebooted into DP7. Obviously, we are all learning that everybody's mileage is varying especially with regards to performance, but DP7 seems a lot snappier to me compared to DP6 (which was a little slower than DP5 for me). In particular, iTunes, whose performance absolutely went to the dogs in the most recent build, has sorted itself out and is now back to its barely acceptable self. FYI I'm on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, non Retina, the greatest of the upgradeable MacBook Pros. 16GB RAM, oh how I love this machine and greatly fear the day it develops a serious issue. Which is obviously years off yet... I'm rambling

Reactions: 32828870 and RobFog

TheDoctorX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Does unlock with  Watch work on latest PB? How stable is latest PB ? Are you already using Sierra on the main computers?

inequals

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
"United" Kingdom
I'm using Sierra on my main (only) computer and have been, in fact since the first DP. Apart from really serious issues with Photos, that would have had me standing outside 1 Infinite Loop with a pitchfork and Molotov cocktails if I didn't have backups of my (fairly big but not the biggest I've seen) library and fairly advanced Mac-fu from being a Genius for 7 years, the OS itself has been a real joy to use since the first beta. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was using a HDD for my system drive instead of an SSD - as I've said, I believe SSDs can really mask poorly-performing software - but otherwise I'd say it's definitely good for use as a daily driver at this stage. Of course, that's only if you keep regular backups. With an up-to-date backup, the worst that can happen to you is inconvenience, and not disaster.

Regarding the. auto-unlock with  Watch - I don't own the watch, so couldn't say.

TheDoctorX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
I'm using Sierra on my main (only) computer and have been, in fact since the first DP. Apart from really serious issues with Photos, that would have had me standing outside 1 Infinite Loop with a pitchfork and Molotov cocktails if I didn't have backups of my (fairly big but not the biggest I've seen) library and fairly advanced Mac-fu from being a Genius for 7 years, the OS itself has been a real joy to use since the first beta. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was using a HDD for my system drive instead of an SSD - as I've said, I believe SSDs can really mask poorly-performing software - but otherwise I'd say it's definitely good for use as a daily driver at this stage. Of course, that's only if you keep regular backups. With an up-to-date backup, the worst that can happen to you is inconvenience, and not disaster.

Regarding the. auto-unlock with  Watch - I don't own the watch, so couldn't say.
So Time Machine backup and separate Photos backup and I should be good? :) Your photos has been deleted from iCloud library?

inequals

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
"United" Kingdom
Yeah, I'd say you'd be good. And I wish it were as simple as that; basically, enabling iCloud Photo Library on my Mac reduced my total number of pictures from 10,000+ to 600 odd.They didn't get deleted from disk though as the library file was still its normal huge size.

One good thing about it is it made me manually rebuild my Photos library, which is good because that library had been upgraded from a crazy old version of iPhoto through every version in between.

Last edited:

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Sierra's Safari spots a nicer-looking, more modern Bookmarks and History view.
Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 12.12.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 12.12.17 AM.png

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
I'm sure this has been brought up but I just noticed this in "About This Mac". It's great for those who want/need to switch between iCloud services handling your data after installing macOS and a much more in-depth analysis of all your data.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 1.12.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 1.12.05 AM.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 736

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm sure this has been brought up but I just noticed this in "About This Mac". It's great for those who want/need to switch between iCloud services handling your data after installing macOS and a much more in-depth analysis of all your data.

It's a useful little feature. Omnidisksweeper will see much longer times between runs on my machine now!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Moderator Note:

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Please try to stay on topic and use this thread for discussing the new features in macOS 10.12 Sierra.

Please report any off-topic posts which are derailing this thread. A new sticky thread has been started for discussing bugs found in the new OS. macOS 10.12 Sierra: Post bugs and fixes here

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009

Sure that's nice for *inexperienced* users. But what about System Report / System Information (formerly known as System Profiler). Is it still there?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
System Information (formerly known as System Profiler)

It's present.

Core Storage

FileVault 2

… if you have a FileVault enabled system, and have a non encrypted TimeMachine, a notification show to tell you that your are backing up to a non encrypted TimeMachine. …

Also, I vaguely recall some improvement at or around the early boot process. Maybe to the cosmetics of bootroot.

Looking ahead, beyond Core Storage

I doubt that the early boot process will be entirely beautified until some time during public beta testing of boot from APFS (with boot=root).

Last edited:
Reactions: 32828870

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Not exactly sure what thread to put this in. The Sierra forum is a bit of a ghost town, compared to the iOS 10 one (which is a worry)
A

Anyway, in the App Store, on the purchased tab, are others seeing the "Purchased" header flash on and off? It reminds of an early 90's web page with a blink tag. I'm half expecting a marquee and an "Under Construction" gif :p

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Apple's official forum for developers, for Sierra, is quieter …

:eek: The post intervals on there are... shocking.

I imagine "real" developers are using other channels to solve "real" development issues though. Public forums probably not the place to wash your dirty laundry.

Edit: Yep, with a closer look few of those threads have anything to do with development at all. Look more like lost users.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Grab allows you to save a screenshot with 3 or 4 optional extensions.

Before it was .tiff now you can save as jpeg or png.

Mine has always been set to save as png
[doublepost=1473511744][/doublepost]
@Menopause No, they don't show up always.

----

Anyone know how to turn off the natural delay in Mission Control when you swipe up to invoke it?

I use bettertouchtool to replace the Mission Control function. IIRC the command built in to btt still has an annoying amount of delay, so I use this set set of commands instead:
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%208.47.34%20AM_zps294meork.png

Reactions: 32828870

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
The Color LCD profile for MacBook Air's TN Displays seems to be improved with macOS Sierra - with a slightly higher, tweaked contrast.

Reactions: gklka

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Why are full screen and bubble effects still not supported in iMessage for Mac? It shows the 'reaction' icons thing but all I get for messages sent with full screen or bubble effects is '(Sent with Gentle Effect)' and so on, looks messy.

Reactions: 5883662

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
The Color LCD profile for MacBook Air's TN Displays seems to be improved with macOS Sierra - with a slightly higher, tweaked contrast.
Do you have any proof of it? Maybe it's improved also in other TN models like the nonRetinaMBP?
[doublepost=1473701511][/doublepost]
iBooks now spots an option to "Add books to your library as proofs" and to "Extend display sleep by 10 minutes while reading".

View attachment 650568
View attachment 650570
This isn't new. It's on El Capitan right now as of version 10.11.6.

Last edited:
Reactions: vista980622

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Lyrics are finally working in iTunes! I'm so happy 'bout it! I don't know about iOS 10, tho, because I gave it for a battery replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.