Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

FJDR

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
MY EXPERIENCE:
10.13 Public Beta (17A291m) on MacBook Pro 17 early 2011 ( with Bluetooth 4 LE installed for continuity)
-------------------------------------------------------
Bugs:
  • Imposible to merge the TimeMachine User to the MBP
  • Sometimes is much faster than Sierra, others very slow.
  • Problems with permissions with FileVault.
  • Impossible to fix permissions.
  • Freeze on Sleep. And wake like energy failure.
  • Severe Printing problems
  • Launchpad - cannot delete app after icon starts wiggling when editing Launchpad
  • Auto-Unlock with Apple Watch not functioning. "Mac cannot communicate with Apple Watch"
[/QUOTE]

Granville

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2015
Macbook Pro Retina 15, early 2013 model

I have quite some reboots or freezes with the public beta installed.
Happens often when using graphical intensive programs:
- apple maps
- google earth on chrome
- autocad for macOS

Happens always:
- League of legends

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
iMac 27" Late 2009, some of these are not High Sierra specific, some are old but still precent in High Sierra PB1.

Using Safari results in constant spindump, over 100% usage. STP does not result in spindump.

Finder don't remember sidebar size so every new window opens with a massive sidebar and the toolbar is also forced to the right side of the finder window even though i have the default left aligned placement. (see attachment)

Performance in Finder is good until i open more than 1 Finder window, i can open an indefinite amount of tabs without any performance penalty but if i have 2 Finder windows opened at the same time i get a constant beachball and every Finder task gets unbearable slow; selecting files/folders, moving files/folders, copying files/folders etc etc takes more than 20 second.

When saving a file from Safari etc and i click on the wrong folder in the save modal then i cant select another folder if a folder is already selected, i have to press on the whitespace between files/folders to unselect the selected folder before i can select another folder.

Mail unhide itself constantly.

If i delete files on other Macs in the network via shared folders it will create massive .afpdelete files (these files are hidden so watch out) on the Mac that i delete files on and for some reason they do not autodelete themselves as they should so i have to manually delete them on the shared Mac. Just yesterday i ran out of space on my MBP and it turned out my "Downloads" folder on the MBP had over 100GB of .afpdelete files.

Attachments

• finder.png
    finder.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 460

bpmacme

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Macbook Pro Retina 15, early 2013 model

I have quite some reboots or freezes with the public beta installed.
Happens often when using graphical intensive programs

I have a MacBookPro 15 mid 2010 and I am having somewhat related issues. They all seem to be display related, or perhaps graphics driver related. I can't control the screen brightness by keyboard or slider and it won't wake from a sleep state. Slightly problematic... I have also noticed that it doesn't seem to be swapping between the integrated and discrete graphics cards. Do you happen to have a discrete and integrated card in that retina MBP as well?

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
... some of these are not High Sierra specific, some are old but still precent in High Sierra PB1; Using Safari results in constant spindump; Finder don't remember sidebar size; Performance in Finder is good until i open more than 1 Finder window; Finder task gets unbearable slow; saving a file from Safari; i cant select another folder if a folder is already selected; Mail unhide itself constantly; delete files on other Macs in the network via shared folders it will create massive .afpdelete files; [files] that i delete files on and for some reason they do not autodelete themselves; space on my MBP and it turned out my "Downloads" folder on the MBP had over 100GB of .afpdelete files.

Wow, that does not sound good at all! I have not been able to duplicate any of these issues on my system and they seem more severe than simply emptying out the caches could offer relief for, so the only technique I can think of that would be apropos is a clean re-install with the latest Beta.

PalNova

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Peron, France
It seems that this solved my

It seems that I solved this somewhat in terminal

Run a :

pmset -g custom

If your hibernate mode is not three, then

sudo pmset hibernatemode 3

If standby is 0, then

sudo pmset standby 1

It doesn't seem like sleep is what it was before, but I don't have to force restart every time it goes to sleep
[doublepost=1499692544][/doublepost]Doesn't work on my 2010 MacBook Pro. "standby" doesn't even appear after the pmset -g custom, even after trying to set it with sudo pmset standby 1. hibernatemode is set to 3. :O|

manpage says "
The setting standby will be visible in pmset -g if the feature is supported on this machine.
". I suppose this solution does not apply to 2010 MacBooks then?

Last edited:

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
[doublepost=1499692544][/doublepost]Doesn't work on my 2010 MacBook Pro. "standby" doesn't even appear after the pmset -g custom, even after trying to set it with sudo pmset standby 1. hibernatemode is set to 3. :O|

manpage says "
The setting standby will be visible in pmset -g if the feature is supported on this machine.
". I suppose this solution does not apply to 2010 MacBooks then?

It worked on the first beta, the second beta broke it again, at least on an MBP early 2011

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
"I suppose this solution does not apply to 2010 MacBooks then? ...

From what I have seen posted elsewhere, this is is the only incidence of this working. I suspect that its not a pest issue for the rest of us. I put my 2012 to sleep and woke it back up to find a black screen, then (as I saw on another thread) I used a powerful flashlight to shine the light through the Apple logo and on my screen I could see that the machine was displaying my desktop, so in fact it was awake. To me this means that its not a slow/wake issue bit rather a backlight control issue.

Since my display was on full power all the time, (which rendered it nearly useless) I used the tip from another thread to boot up on an external drive to change brightness then boot back in HS. This did change my brightness but unfortunately did nothing for the sleep from wake issue (it didn't seem likely to fix sleep from wake, I was just being optimistic). I now set my screen saver to engage quickly; Computer Sleep Never; Display Sleep 7 minutes, so it simulates going to sleep (i my mind) without actually going to sleep.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Where is that damned Beta 3????
It could be anywhere from two hours to two weeks from now (estimate based on my many years working on commercial and Industrial Beta software) because they have plenty to fix. My hope is that we see the next Beta by the end of this week.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Where is that damned Beta 3????
Nice timing huh? :D

Wow, that does not sound good at all! I have not been able to duplicate any of these issues on my system and they seem more severe than simply emptying out the caches could offer relief for, so the only technique I can think of that would be apropos is a clean re-install with the latest Beta.
I did do a clean install but sure, there can have been some corruptions or errors during the installation, i will clean install DP3 and see if the bugs are still there.

PalNova

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Peron, France
It worked on the first beta, the second beta broke it again, at least on an MBP early 2011
..and in the third beta, putting the computer manually to sleep works fine (laptop lid can be closed), but just closing the lid still does not work and hangs the computer (or whatever it does, screen goes black but it doesn't fall asleep).

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
..and in the third beta, putting the computer manually to sleep works fine (laptop lid can be closed), but just closing the lid still does not work and hangs the computer (or whatever it does, screen goes black but it doesn't fall asleep).
Strange,,, Install the new beta with DB3 or PB2 when it comes out, problem should be fixed.

Mark10004

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Did this wipe all your stuff off your mac? Are you still on high Sierra or normal Sierra?

God bless.

Mark.

Problems with Networking specially with HTTP protocol.
Sometime it takes for ages to open a webpage or to view a mail message that has web content.

EDITED
Hi,
I was able to fix this.
I was going to reinstall the previous version, so I went into recovery mode and by mistake I selected setup from Internet.
I taught it was not going to function because normally when you do that it says the there is a previous osx version installed.
But to my surprise, it wen along installing the Beta again from the internet.
After that things have improved a lot in regard to networking.
I don't know if this fixes your problems, mas it does not hurt to try. Since nothing is deleted, it only resintalls the beta from the internet.
At least in my case that's what happened.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
HS Public Beta 2 has arrived, my Brightness control problem has been fixed.
The ability to adjust my screen brightness, wake from sleep and Time Machine backups have been fixed. Time Machine is currently backing up my High Sierra drive, indicating that 1GB has been completed and that the rest will take 19 hours to complete. Since there have been no backups since I installed HS Beta, this seems to make sense to me. I also noticed that in Time Machine options, my boot drive is no longer listed as being Excluded.

Last edited:

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
When I installed on my 2011 MacBook Air, it was running super hot/fans really high. Indexing was using a lot of processing and memory, but I tried booting into Recovery to do First Aid on the disk. However, when I did First Aid, it would give me an error related to AFPS (don't remember the specifics, I'll try again later) and wouldn't repair. I even wiped the entire disk and reinstalled High Sierra from Recovery, and then tried running First Aid after it installed, but still gave me the same error. So, not sure what the deal is…

gemoritzt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
Germany
When I installed on my 2011 MacBook Air, it was running super hot/fans really high. Indexing was using a lot of processing and memory, but I tried booting into Recovery to do First Aid on the disk. However, when I did First Aid, it would give me an error related to AFPS (don't remember the specifics, I'll try again later) and wouldn't repair. I even wiped the entire disk and reinstalled High Sierra from Recovery, and then tried running First Aid after it installed, but still gave me the same error. So, not sure what the deal is…
The deal is that you should let your macbook indexing.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA

Running Disk First Aid (from within the Disk Utility app) freezes my machine in both public beta 1 and public beta 2. I've reported it to Apple.

As for indexing, yo just have to let it run, indexing takes a long time and since the CPU is working hard, its normal for he fans to run fast enough for you to hear them, just let it do its job and it will get back to normal when its done.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Still showing the error where the auto brightness setting resets itself upon reboot in the new public beta.
Bummer! It got fixed for me so now I'm wondering why you still have that symptom. I'm running a 2012 MacBook Pro with the High Def (but not Retina) display.

I'd try deleting absolutely all the caches then immediately rebooting (including both the System and User caches), then immediately rebooting. If that doesn't work then I would toggle the AutoBrightness checkbox in System Preferences, then immediately reboot. Good Luck!

minedwiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
United States
Bummer! It got fixed for me so now I'm wondering why you still have that symptom. I'm running a 2012 MacBook Pro with the High Def (but not Retina) display.

I'd try deleting absolutely all the caches then immediately rebooting (including both the System and User caches), then immediately rebooting. If that doesn't work then I would toggle the AutoBrightness checkbox in System Preferences, then immediately reboot. Good Luck!

Didn't fix it, I'm afraid, but it was worth a try. I'm on the new MBP 13" Touch Bar for what it matters.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Since 10.13 PB2 (17A306f) I've had very high gamma settings in two games (World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm) no matter if running fullscreen or borderless window. When I tab out of the game the desktop and launched apps are at very low gamma settings. Also I've had a lot of graphical glitches in HotS since PB1.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
High battery consumption both sleep and active MBP 15.4 2016 TB. Consumption about double what I would expect. Will do an SMC reset and see if that improves things.

Sound is not good. In my office I am using iTunes internet radio USB-C digital out via Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle, then M2Tech HiFace2 USB to Coax digital converter and re-clocker, coax digital cable to Aqua Acoustic La Voce DAC then analogue audio. I am having to have iTunes volume and system volume at max. With OS 10.12 both were at 75%. Sound is also muffled like frequencies above 2 to 3kHz being attenuated. EQ is off.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
On the latest DP build, Spotlight seems to be showing file extensions on every file type, applications included, and I don't see any way to change it. Its not major, but kind of annoying to see .app on everything I launch from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.