Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

irco

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Hamar
Anyone who had problems with system crashing or black screen after closed lid in public beta 1 who has seen this solved in PB2?

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Anyone who had problems with system crashing or black screen after closed lid in public beta 1 who has seen this solved in PB2?

Yes, its been fixed for me in HS PB 2. YMMV
[doublepost=1499973402][/doublepost]
As I noted above, Time Machine in PB2 is now running, I have seen it complete several backups so far, it seems to take a long time in "Cleaning Up" mode but that is not really a significant issue. I still would not use this Beta on any machine that is critical to anyone's use.

irco

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Hamar
As I noted above, Time Machine in PB2 is now running, I have seen it complete several backups so far, it seems to take a long time in "Cleaning Up" mode but that is not really a significant issue. I still would not use this Beta on any machine that is critical to anyone's use.
The black screen problem is apparently not fixed.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Next little issue is on printers. I cannot get the print utility to set a default printer or to update the last printer used to the last printer actually used. I normally have three printers, an everyday HP OfficeInkjet Pro 8100, an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 17" photo printer and a Dymo label printer. Unless selected otherwise, all my prints wanted to go to the Dymo label printer, so I have deleted it. Now they all want to go to my Epson, and as that had A2 size Hannemuhle heavyweight photo rag paper in it, that was an expensive error. I have tried resetting the printer utility, reinstalling the two printers, with no improvement. I hope this gets cured in PB3. My upload speed in France is too slow to send a report. It just times out on the system config files.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Next little issue is on printers. I cannot get the print utility to set a default printer or to update the last printer used to the last printer actually used. ...
This sounds like a widespread printing problem we ran into a few years ago. What helped was was these instructions (directly from Apple's support site), I hope this is different from the reset that you already performed.

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  • Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
    After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  • Re-add printers.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Anybody else noticing the last two best builds causes the keyboard and trackpad to not come responsive after opening the lid from a sleep? I'm running on a MBA 2010 13" and when this occurs I need to reboot. It's very regular.

Reactions: mikeycw

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Made a fresh install of PB2 and all my bugs are still there

The most annoying one is the Safari one, even with no tabs open Safari uses 100% CPU and open Safari results in a spindump so there goes another 100-200% cpu usage, so yeah, up to 300% cpu for just opening Safari and ontop of that another 100% cpu usage if i play a YouTube video.

Edit: In Safari; CMD+click on link or right click on link and choose "open in new tab" 1/10 times results in an empty tab instead of loading the link

Edit 2: Same blank tab bug in STP, has anyone else noticed this bug in Safari or STP when opening links in background tabs?

Last edited:
Reactions: beta3

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
... The most annoying one is the Safari one, even with no tabs open Safari uses 100% CPU and open Safari results in a spindump so there goes another 100-200% cpu usage ...

I'm seeing the 100% CPU usage issue but it doesn't happen all the time. I can surf for quite a while ad it behaves normally (and seems noticeably faster than Safari 10) but once its triggered it will use over 100% CPU and stay that way unless I quit Safari.

I haven't seen the tab issue at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
With beta 3 on my 2017 macbook pro the ram keeps getting used up on uilookup something what is that?

Habberkuk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
Denmark
Does anyone have a problem/fix for Logic Pro X (latest version)? It won't open on the lates version of the beta version 306f.

Thanks.

Porsupah

macrumors regular
same result, high cpu usage, empty new tabs - already reported that more then a week ago

Perhaps this is being gradually addressed? On my late 2013 rMBP, DP3/PB2's a world apart from the previous release - CPU usage is back to normal, where previously I'd see spindump constantly firing up and consuming 40%+ CPU, causing the system to run almost constantly hot and with audibly active fans.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Perhaps this is being gradually addressed? ...
The software fixes for Beta testing is always gradually addressed. First stage: It takes a lot of time to sort through all the reports from the Public Beta testers plus the internal testers (employees), to figure out what is important, this is essentially a Triage Stage, then there is an analysis of the estimated time it takes to fix each bug. Management then takes these (and possibly other) factors into account they apply a healthy dose of Black Magic™️ and then they send the software engineers a prioritized list of the bugs that are allowed to fix, the order in which to fix them and often how much time they get to fix them. Then those fixes have too be tested internally, very quickly, by executing remade test scripts. If the fix passes through the test script without glitches then its added to the next candidate for a Beta update. This system is not perfect but is essentially how all the companies in Silicon Valley do it. Of course at some point a manager feels that there are enough fixes completed and they instruct the engineer in charge to release another Beta. The engineers continue working on their priority list while we (and several employees) perfume testing on the Public Beta. The glitches that we (and tear employees) find are then routed through the triage system, the manager merges the new reports with the old reports, re-prioritozes everything and then the engineers receive an updated priority list. This usually makes the engineers lose a little bit of their hair, if nothing else, because often (too often) the bugs they are working on lose priority and they have to stop all their work and switch to fixing a completely different bug. Its an exhausting process that I'm glad I'm not doing any more, but hopefully this sheds a little light on why its so hard (impossible) to get all the bug fixes out immediately and why we often see on thing fixed but not several others. There is also the issue of "dependencies", they can't fix one thing without breaking another, so more time has to be added to fix all the dependencies. Sometimes a piece of software that was suppose too be in the OS did not make it on time, but another piece was added that depends on the first piece, and of course it breaks. This nearly impossible complexity is nearly enough to make an engineer go crazy. Give it time, send it well thought out Beta reports (with screenshots and details of what you were doing which apps were open, and how to trigger the bug to repeat itself) and keep your fingers crossed that your bugs get fixed sooner rather than later.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I'm seeing the 100% CPU usage issue but it doesn't happen all the time. I can surf for quite a while ad it behaves normally (and seems noticeably faster than Safari 10) but once its triggered it will use over 100% CPU and stay that way unless I quit Safari.

I haven't seen the tab issue at all.
I've had similar problems. I have found that the High Sierra version of Safari Technology Preview works much better than the regular version of Safari.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
I've had similar problems. I have found that the High Sierra version of Safari Technology Preview works much better than the regular version of Safari.

Wow! I wish I had thought of that! I just installed the Safari Technology Preview and my issue was resolved. Safari no longer uses 100% or more CPU while watching YouTube videos. Thank you, this gives me hope that when Apple moves the tech preview into the mainstream version of Safari that all will be well. One can only hope! LOL

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have noticed 2 bugs so far
1. Contacts app on high sierra fails to sync with icloud
2. Most 3rd party video player apps (VLC, Movist, Playr) crash when attempting to play mkv files

Reactions: JuBe

NicholasJC

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
I have found High Sierra to be stable on my Macbook 12, however I had an app caused AIRFOIL installed and when I upgraded this appears to caused an issue with the local sounds drivers.

I can see the VOLUME control but no local sound drivers, and if I tried to open the SOUNDS Preferences I receive errors or it appears and no local sound device. Sound outputs via my APPPLE TV, so its pointing to a coreaudio issue.

I have also found that I cannot start the Macbook up in Safe Mode, I just get a white STOP sign and I tried resetting the PRAM and had to pick out the Start up Drive, local HD, again.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Anyone know how to turn off the map popup that happens whenever you click on an address in Safari? It can make attempting to edit an address in a text box very tedious.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
Does anyone have any sound issues streaming Sirius XM on Safari? I still get no sound in High Sierra beta 2. Steams fine in Firefox.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Thanks. Issues with CPU usage are indeed solved with Safari Technology Preview. Don't like the purple logo though...

IIRC you can change the icon by showing the package contents in Safari Technology Preview, navigate to Contents>Resources then figuring out which one of those files is the icon image. I suspect that its technology-preview-compass.icns, then you would do the same thing with your normal version Safari, copy its icon file into the Safari Technology preview and rename it technology-preview-compass.icns. If that works then you will have a blue icon. If anything breaks, you're on your own so be careful. I happen to like the purple icon so I'm keeping it. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.