Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
This sounds like a widespread printing problem we ran into a few years ago. What helped was was these instructions (directly from Apple's support site), I hope this is different from the reset that you already performed.

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  • Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
    After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  • Re-add printers.
Was the first thing I did - no improvement.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Was the first thing I did - no improvement.
Thats a bummer! Most of the time the problem is fixed with a reset but since that didn't work I would enable the web interface to the CUPS localhost, log in using your admin credentials, then look to see if anything is obviously wrong. If not then I would delete the installed printer and install the printer from there. If that does not work then delete that driver and install a generic printer driver. At this point you should be printing one way or another.

SSandy

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Next little issue is on printers. I cannot get the print utility to set a default printer or to update the last printer used to the last printer actually used.

Have the same issue, resetting printers and reinstalling did not help. Guess we just have to wait.

Sandy

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Perhaps this is being gradually addressed? On my late 2013 rMBP, DP3/PB2's a world apart from the previous release - CPU usage is back to normal, where previously I'd see spindump constantly firing up and consuming 40%+ CPU, causing the system to run almost constantly hot and with audibly active fans.

Same problem with spindump, actually, the major issue is memory. Have a look at how much ram spindump is consuming. I've seen it over 30GB. I opened a bug report with Apple. I suggest everyone else do if they're experiencing similar issues.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
PB3

Still constant spindump when using Safari but atleast now the constant +100% CPU usage in Safari is gone

Overall, kinda happy with High Sierra, my test machine is now 8 years old (2009 27" iMac) and have had a plethora of OS X/macOS versions and it is still as usable as ever

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Sorry if this has already been asked. I did not read the whole thread yet.

Has iTunes 12.7 been pulled or is it a bug not showing up in updates? I did a clean install of Developer Beta 3 and only got 12.6.2. Same for an upgrade from 10.11.6 to DB4.

It is still on my iMac though. I tried copying it over and just replace it, of course that didn't work. Because iTunes can't be just deleted or replaced in the standard Finder way with a normal Admin account.

Should work with the root account or just in the Terminal and/or from the recovery partition. But if it had been pulled there might be a good reason for that. So I don't know if I should really do this.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Have only been on for a couple of days, and only a couple of issues...

Photos doesn't seem to be synching as quickly with iCloud...I deleted photos on my phone and they are still showing in photos on the Mac. Everything is synched properly.

Can't seem to eject my thumb drive. Says another program is using it when all I ever do is transfer photos to it. I just force eject and everything is fine.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
Photos doesn't seem to be synching as quickly with iCloud...I deleted photos on my phone and they are still showing in photos on the Mac. Everything is synched properly.

Same for me - the iCloud photo issue seems to be the only bug I'm experiencing so far.

Everything else is running very smooth

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
... Photos doesn't seem to be synching as quickly with iCloud ...

I've had this problem all through Sierra and High Sierra. The ability to sync via PhotoSteam is very intermittent. If you're seeing the problem when using PhotoStream then I suggest sending in a Bug report and clearly indicate that its PhotoStream thats having the problem.

... Can't seem to eject my thumb drive ...

I've had that happen a few times in the first Beta but not with the current version. When it did used to happen I did check to see if there were any apps holding a file open by using an app called "What's Keeping Me" that shows which app is holding the fine open and it also allows you to release that hold so you can eject (or delete) that file.

bemed

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Livepool, UK
Hi all,

I have a 2014 15" rMBP and after the reboot on the update I'm getting the following message:

macOS could not be instead on your computer

The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged.

Quit the installer and try again.

I restarted loads of times without any success.

Any clues on what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
macOS could not be instead on your computer ... Any clues on what should I do? ...

I had a very similar problem with the first installer. Have you tried re-downloading the HS PB and installing that one? If the file is missing then you need a fresh copy of the installer yet I remember reading that every macOS installer is checked for integrity when you run it, so it should be completely intact, so this is a perplexing problem.

bemed

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Livepool, UK
I had a very similar problem with the first installer. Have you tried re-downloading the HS PB and installing that one? If the file is missing then you need a fresh copy of the installer yet I remember reading that every macOS installer is checked for integrity when you run it, so it should be completely intact, so this is a perplexing problem.

I fixed it by rebooting holding shift then redownloading the installer.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
New bug in Finder on PB3, after a while, especially when i have multiple Finder windows open they go "semi-invisible", clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock does not bring any Finder windows infront of me, it switches to the space where the actual Finder window are but yeah, not so helpful if its invisible, if i go into Mission Control i can see the Finder windows in the spaces preview thumbnails AND i can hover over the invisible Finder windows to get that hover highlight halo and name of the folder, the actual Finder window is invisible though

finder_bug.jpg

Don't know why i get so many weird Finder bugs, have fresh installed all betas now and i get a new Finder bug every time ;) Anyways, reported

Edit: Forgot to say that i was trying to screen record the bug using Quicktime and yeah, it started recording but nothing happened when i pressed the stop recording button in the menubar so, maybe a bug there to, maybe someone can test it out

Last edited:

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
[QUOTE="JesperA, post: 24847896, member: 667721"} ... Don't know why i get so many weird Finder bugs, have fresh installed all betas now and i get a new Finder bug every time ;) Anyways, reported [/QUOTE]

Thats so weird! Are you performing a "Clean Install" i.e. easing/formatting the drive so you have to start for scratch. If you are just running the installer over the existing macOS, there are a lot of files that are left over from the previous OS and sometimes a mismatch or a corruption of the of those files will give weird symptoms. (Of course you obviously need to check that your nacu are good so you can restore all your files, I would install freshly downloaded versions of all ,y apps at this point.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I've been having an issue with my trackpad not working, but my mouse was working fine. After disabling a bunch of things it turned out to be the app Logitech Options that was causing the problem on startup. Just in case someone comes looking for that specific issue...

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Couple weird bugs:

In Messages, text bubbles tend to rearrange themselves (ie message 2 received at 12:45:43 will end up above message 1 sent at 12:45:26, so the conversation is out of order), if that makes sense.

In all apps, Touch Bar App Controls will disappear, and only reappear once the app in question is quit and reopened.

This is all on a 2016 MacBook Pro.

gianolio

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
This sounds like a widespread printing problem we ran into a few years ago. What helped was was these instructions (directly from Apple's support site), I hope this is different from the reset that you already performed.

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  • Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
    After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  • Re-add printers.

Hello

I removed all the printer but still have the same problem ... when i select the default printer .. the selection came back to "last printer used" and when I print the second time the default printer is always the first of the list (and not the last used)

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I'm still on Sierra but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Is the current beta more/less stable than the beta of Sierra, El Capitan etc?
I cheered when I heard the name High Sierra, as I assumed it would be similar to Snow Leopard (stable and fast).
But this thread seems to be filled with so many things that should never break, did Apple attempt too many under-the-hood updates?

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
I'm still on Sierra but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Is the current beta more/less stable than the beta of Sierra, El Capitan etc?
IMHO these under the hood updates have made High Sierra more unstable than the Betas for El Capitan and Sierra. If I may borrow and mutilate an old saying, the advice I have been giving my family and friends is:
If you have to ask, then don't install the Beta! ROFLOL

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
I want something stable so I'm not interested in the beta. But given how unstable it is currently, I don't expect it to be very stable even at launch :(
The old rule of thumb, that has been around for decades, is that you should never try Alpha or Beta releases and that you should wait until the dot three version of the production software before you install it on your system (i.e. 10.13.3) because by that time the remaining bugs (no OS software has ever been 100% bug free) are most likely to be unobtrusive or easy to work around.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Everything was going great for me until this morning when I couldn't even use my 2017 MacBook without freezing. I just purchased the computer on Monday, so I have reason to believe it was the public beta. (I hope anyway). I restored it back to Sierra. Anyone else have constant freezing beachball issues out of the blue with this beta?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.