Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Everything was going great for me until this morning when I couldn't even use my 2017 MacBook without freezing. I just purchased the computer on Monday, so I have reason to believe it was the public beta. (I hope anyway). I restored it back to Sierra. Anyone else have constant freezing beachball issues out of the blue with this beta?
I've had several random beach balls, but them it clears up on its own.
I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. Just buying a new Mac does not get you the Beta, you have to intentionally sign up for it, get an invitation, then install it purposefully, it does not come pre-installed on any Macs from the store.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I've had several random beach balls, but them it clears up on its own.
I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. Just buying a new Mac does not get you the Beta, you have to intentionally sign up for it, get an invitation, then install it purposefully, it does not come pre-installed on any Macs from the store.

I apologize. I should have clarified. I installed the high Sierra beta after I purchased the Mac.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
I apologize. I should have clarified. I installed the high Sierra beta after I purchased the Mac.
Whew! I was worried there for a second! LOL
I just checked my notes and I still get those random hangups, but I have not been able to reproduce them on demand, so I just don't know what could be causing them.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Is the "Calculating..." bug in the storage info still there?
bug.jpg

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
For me the bug is still there in PB3
Thanks for the reply. Can't figure out why there's such a stupid problem like this because by pressing the nearby manage button you can get more detailed informations.
I tried deleting Garage Band and reindexing Spotlight in order to try some suggestion found on the web but the problem is still there.

gemoritzt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
Germany
Thanks for the reply. Can't figure out why there's such a stupid problem like this because by pressing the nearby manage button you can get more detailed informations.
I tried deleting Garage Band and reindexing Spotlight in order to try some suggestion found on the web but the problem is still there.
Yup, got the same problem since PB3.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Contacts app is still not syncing with icloud on the latest build 17A344b. Am able to sync via my iphone, so I know the problem is with MacOS. Tried logging out of icloud and logging in and still doesn’t work. Have reported this problem twice in prior builds via Feedback assistant.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Contacts app is still not syncing with icloud on the latest build 17A344b. Am able to sync via my iphone, so I know the problem is with MacOS. Tried logging out of icloud and logging in and still doesn’t work. Have reported this problem twice in prior builds via Feedback assistant.
I see that problem on Public Beta 4, then I went back into contacts and added a little text to the contact that I just added and it shows up in my iPhone. This problem occurred before in Sierra or El Cap (I don't recall which), so I'll report to as well but at least there is a workaround you can try for now.

Ashton96

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Hello! I’m hoping someone can be of help.
I installed the PB on my 2013 MBP 13”. Since installing, my MBP locks up and freezes every time I try to use it. Everything causes beach balls and it is unusable. When I open the lid to wake from sleep, the MBP does not respond—I have to hold the power button and restart the machine. Then, once I get it to restart, it will typically get beach balls and freeze once it has rebooted. I’m not able to get more than a few keystrokes out of it before it freezes.

Has anyone else encountered issues like these? I didn’t have any trouble like this with Sierra, and I hadn’t read of any similar issues with the beta which is why I’m a bit uneasy. Also not a great feeling having a MBP that I can’t even use :confused:

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Hello! I’m hoping someone can be of help.
I installed the PB on my 2013 MBP 13”. Since installing, my MBP locks up and freezes every time I try to use it. Everything causes beach balls and it is unusable. When I open the lid to wake from sleep, the MBP does not respond—I have to hold the power button and restart the machine. Then, once I get it to restart, it will typically get beach balls and freeze once it has rebooted. I’m not able to get more than a few keystrokes out of it before it freezes.

Has anyone else encountered issues like these? I didn’t have any trouble like this with Sierra, and I hadn’t read of any similar issues with the beta which is why I’m a bit uneasy. Also not a great feeling having a MBP that I can’t even use :confused:

That is the nature of Beta software and why thee are warnings against using it on a machine that you need to rely on for anything. You might be better off formatting that drive (to get rid of APFS) and going back to Sierra, but if you wish to continue then you might try updating all the way to the latest version of the Public Beta which is behaving a little bit better (my wake from sleep problem is gone and most of the beachballs are gone). If that does not eliminate the problems then clear out all the caches (System and User), reboot, use it for a half hour or more then test to see if Sleep works.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Um, not for me:
Have you waited a little ?
Your disk is in APFS or HFS ?
I noticed sometimes it may take a few seconds/minutes to get done, not sure why but I moved around a lot of big chunk of files (~100GB added/deleted) which seems to get the Mac to redo all it's math.

EDIT : Just did a test. Had to wait 1 maybe 2 minutes and I removed like ˜80GB of files yesterday. If I close it and reopen it, it takes only few seconds now.
I guess they need to improve the calculating time.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Is it intentional behavior that you can't tap on the left side of Control Strip toggles to dismiss the slider?

Joel G

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Did anyone else notice missing "reduce ambient noise" in sound preferences? I've been getting complaints from people telling me they can not hear me and I'm assuming that has something to do with it.
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 12.19.21 AM.png

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
I still have the Use ambient noise reduction checkbox with 17a344b. Please report missing checkbox as bug to Apple.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
In PB6 if i try to open Safari my tabs never load (the website titles are in the tabs), the content itself never load AND all other applications on my Mac refuse to open, they open just fine if i reboot my Mac and open them without touching Safari.

Anyone else has this problem? Maybe a corrupt install so i will re-install the latest beta again and see if that solves the problem

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
In PB6 if i try to open Safari my tabs never load (the website titles are in the tabs), the content itself never load AND all other applications on my Mac refuse to open, they open just fine if i reboot my Mac and open them without touching Safari.

Anyone else has this problem? Maybe a corrupt install so i will re-install the latest beta again and see if that solves the problem
No issue like your one mine. A re-install might by necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.