Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Quite a specific question; but for the feature where you can remove local copies of iCloud Drive documents (and the original stays on server), is there a toolbar command for this, or can it only be activated in the right-click menu?

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
^ I installed the gm seed, and they're not there. But I see they added the audio message which is nice.

Reactions: Aquamite

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Quite a bit niche, but Catalina fixed a major gripe I had in Mojave: when printing to a Konica Minolta copier, I finally have a nice, different sub menus. Want to staple or hole punch? Layout/Finishing. Want to print in color or grayscale? Quality. In Mojave, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was dumped into a single “Printer Features” submenu. Really had to hunt around for a specific option. Thank ******* god for this!

Reactions: IowaLynn

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Well, I can confirm that QuickTime Player joins iMovie and Final Cut Pro X in being unable to capture audio from IEEE-1394 FireWire/DV footage. And I'm having trouble getting Premiere Pro CC 2019 to work with it as well. Granted that I don't produce anything in MiniDV anymore, but this could put an end to my side-gig in converting home movies shot on tape to DVD/digital for friends and relatives... unless I use my Dell Optiplex 9010 with FireWire PCI card and the Cyberlink suite.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Quite a bit niche, but Catalina fixed a major gripe I had in Mojave: when printing to a Konica Minolta copier, I finally have a nice, different sub menus. Want to staple or hole punch? Layout/Finishing. Want to print in color or grayscale? Quality. In Mojave, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was dumped into a single “Printer Features” submenu. Really had to hunt around for a specific option. Thank ******* god for this!
Ha!
Interestingly enough itused to work for me in Mojave. Then it stopped. And everything was in one menu as you describe. All of a sudden.
A second Mac I set up a couple months later... works perfectly tho. Correct sub menus and all.
Thsy DO have different driver versions tho for the Konica Minolta printer. The problem is you cannot really find older versions online easily...alas.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Well, I can confirm that QuickTime Player joins iMovie and Final Cut Pro X in being unable to capture audio from IEEE-1394 FireWire/DV footage. And I'm having trouble getting Premiere Pro CC 2019 to work with it as well. Granted that I don't produce anything in MiniDV anymore, but this could put an end to my side-gig in converting home movies shot on tape to DVD/digital for friends and relatives... unless I use my Dell Optiplex 9010 with FireWire PCI card and the Cyberlink suite.

A correction: I tired it again on QuickTime Player today and I WAS able to capture DV footage with audio. Premiere Pro still won't let me select DV for the capture format though...

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Ha!
Interestingly enough itused to work for me in Mojave. Then it stopped. And everything was in one menu as you describe. All of a sudden.
A second Mac I set up a couple months later... works perfectly tho. Correct sub menus and all.
Thsy DO have different driver versions tho for the Konica Minolta printer. The problem is you cannot really find older versions online easily...alas.

I had a very hit or miss (mainly miss) record with this in Mojave. I find the drivers fairly easily by going to konicaminolta.com → "Download" button under Business Solutions → Type in the model of printer/scanner in the search field, and it comes right up with links to the drivers. No Catalina specific drivers yet, but the Mojave ones still work.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I used to type sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots / in terminal, in order to discover forgotten time machine images in my disk, though I had time machine disabled.
Now, in catalina's terminal, this command does not seem to work.
Any help on this?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Code:
tmutil listlocalsnapshots

This works for me without sudo.

With the above line, this is what my terminal display:
Usage: tmutil listlocalsnapshots <mount_point>

Any corrections in order to see the timemachine images?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
With the above line, this is what my terminal display:
Usage: tmutil listlocalsnapshots <mount_point>

Any corrections in order to see the timemachine images?
Try running a TM backup so that hidden snapshot volume gets mounted, then run the command again. It works for me without doing anything special though.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Try running a TM backup so that hidden snapshot volume gets mounted, then run the command again. It works for me without doing anything special though.

I don't have a special disk for this task.
I have one, especially for superduper.
Possibly not so easy to do this?

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I really like that macOS Catalina let's you display your photos in a square format instead of the actual format of the respective file. That makes the photos grid so much prettier to look at in my opinion.

Reactions: KoolAid-Drink

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
A new, more like iPad icon, for Sidecar.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 17.39.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 17.39.23.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 141

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps a dumb question as it's so infrequently used, but I can't find the answer:

Is it a Catalina thing where they removed the "memorable" option in the Password Assistant (under Users & Groups in System Prefs) or did that happen in Mojave?

I just opened it for the first time in a while in Catalina and it's not there.

Screen shots are High Sierra vs Catalina

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 11.24.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 11.21.53 AM.png

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Perhaps a dumb question as it's so infrequently used, but I can't find the answer:

Is it a Catalina thing where they removed the "memorable" option in the Password Assistant (under Users & Groups in System Prefs) or did that happen in Mojave?

I just opened it for the first time in a while in Catalina and it's not there.

Screen shots are High Sierra vs Catalina

View attachment 868978 View attachment 868981
Memorable still exists in Mojave so yep seems like it's gone from Catalina. I can't say they're particularly "memorable" to be honest.
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 01.02.41.png

Reactions: bakerzdosen

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Well, I just upgraded and notice no issues whatsoever. I'm a bit skeptical but as someone who basically never used iTunes anyway...maybe the upgrade to Catalina is a stress-free process for me!

no_more

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Does anyone know how to fix clock on the menu bar?
Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 22.04.25.png

In older released it was:
12 October, Sat 22:04, or something like this.
But not this 10-11.

UPD: Just changed to another region and tweaked it. Now it shows: Sat 12 Oct, which is fine for me

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.